T Nation

Glutamine?

hey guys,

I just bought some glutamine by Prolab, How do you take it? Some people say take it in the middle of the workout. When and what time should i take it? It says take 1 teaspoon per day but it doesnt say which time is best.

Thanks

I’ve never really felt an effect from using glutamine, however when I bought some last spring, it was due to the guy at the supp store reccommending I take it before any longer runs.

His explanation was that taking a bunch of it before running (at that time I had 2-3 days of week where I’d only run for a few kilometers) would decrease the amount of muscle burned.

I also vaguely recall some studies on it saying taking a teaspoon before bed can increase growth hormone production while sleeping.

However at the time I took it diligently I can’t say whether or not it was having a big effect or not, as I was using a few other supplements and although my progress was pretty good, I am a beginner so I think my progress may have had very little to do with the supplements I was taking.

ahh, I see, thanks for the reply!

Taking something in before a workout is better than during. Also, I don’t think that 1 teaspoon a day will be any less effective than a higher dose.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Taking something in before a workout is better than during. Also, I don’t think that 1 teaspoon a day will be any less effective than a higher dose.[/quote]

Sorry Dave, but I disagree. I notice a huge difference in the DOMS effect to training when taking glutamine at <10g per day and >25g per day.
Less than 10g I don’t much feel any benefits.

For my weight (190lbs) I take 10g (2 teaspoons pre-workout in carbs and protein (Eg. Surge) and another 10g postworkout (again with carbs and protein) and then 5g before bed. 25g total on training days. Just 5g before bed on non-training days.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Taking something in before a workout is better than during. Also, I don’t think that 1 teaspoon a day will be any less effective than a higher dose.[/quote]

Any benefits in PWO shake?

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
I take 10g (2 teaspoons pre-workout in carbs and protein (Eg. Surge) and another 10g postworkout (again with carbs and protein) and then 5g before bed. 25g total on training days. Just 5g before bed on non-training days.[/quote]

Same here, 2 tsp before workouts and my muscles do not burn out as quickly, I think Glutamine must help buffer Lactic Acid. Then 3/4 the way through a workout, I do another 2 tsp and finish it after I’m done. But I guess I do skip the night dose, since my protein powder has 3 grams of it per serving.