T Nation

Glutamine: Recovery Difference?

To anyone using glutamine, have you noticed a difference in your recovery between workouts while on the supplement- in other words is it worth the investment?

If so, any recommendations on when in the day to use it and how much to use?

Yes, I think it helps recovery some. I do 10 grams a day right after training. Doesn’t taste bad and is pretty cheap, I use AST Glutamine powder. Don’t expect miracles but I think it can help.

I like to take mine at night actually as I feel whey is pretty high on the glutamine as it is and I also like to take creatine postworkout.

Since creatine and glutamine use the same transport, its not a fantastic plan to take them at exactly the same time.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
I like to take mine at night actually as I feel whey is pretty high on the glutamine as it is and I also like to take creatine postworkout.

Since creatine and glutamine use the same transport, its not a fantastic plan to take them at exactly the same time.[/quote]

Creatine monohydrate? And not to sound redundant but your postworkout is at night which why you take them together? and how much creatine to you supp in with the glutamine?

Has helped my recovery but only in large doses.

[quote]Pipes06 wrote:
Westclock wrote:

Since creatine and glutamine use the same transport, its not a fantastic plan to take them at exactly the same time.

Creatine monohydrate? And not to sound redundant but your postworkout is at night which why you take them together? and how much creatine to you supp in with the glutamine?[/quote]

Yes I use mono, my postworkout isnt at night…

You should not take creatine and glutamine at exactly the same time, since they both use sodium for transport into the cell you lose some of each because they compete with each other for uptake.

Whey contains a fair ammount of glutamine already so I see no need to add it PWO, hence I put creatine in my shake only.

I like to take my glutamine at NIGHT, in water, before I go to bed.

Very informative. Thank you.

[quote]Westclock wrote:
You should not take creatine and glutamine at exactly the same time, since they both use sodium for transport into the cell you lose some of each because they compete with each other for uptake.
[/quote]

There is no differece between taking 5g glutamine AND 5g creatine and taking 10g creatine OR 10g glutamine.

Assuming you are not drinking masses of the stuff there should be no issue in competing for the same sites. It is a good idea to add a little (0.5g max) table salt to your creatine/glutamine combo.

Here’s an interesting piece on glutamine:

http://www.ironmag.com/articles/supplements/2004_cml_glutamine.htm

I find that glutamine helps during stressful times or extra-intense training.