Glutamine David J. Barr

Okay here is one article, in some aspects, I completely disagree with. I began using Glutamine a few years ago not really expecting much in the way of benefits. David Barr is making claims that it basically is a useless supplement; a rather surprising observation. I first began trying glutamine when I would get the flu because of the claims regarding existential glutamine in muscle tissue. To be frank, although when I first attempted this I had no idea it would be os effective, everytime I those nasty bad chills and aches during a bought with an illness attacked my body I ingested some glutamine. And each time (quite honestly to my surprise) the aches and pains disappeared for a length of time and even felt better overall to a degree. To me this suggestion, anecdotally, that glutamine injestion stop illness induced catabolism. You may think, well maybe you just thin kit did. A possability but its effects were so profound I seriously doubt it. Not to mention the fact that I was not expecting much, if anything from its utilization. However afterwards I tried an experiment on both my bro and parents simply to discover whether it was actually just me or not (obviously they were also ill at the time). Once again the same effects were achieved; I had even placed doubts in their minds suggesting it is not likely to work so don’t expect anything. The fact that this amino acid was being stolen from the muscles (which is exactly why you feel those aches and pains) to feed the immune system to fight a disease proves that it is definetely anti-catabolic; at the very least in an environment where substantial amounts are being utilized. It also seems to cause less soreness after a workout if enough is ingested pre and post-workout. Though these may be only opinions it nevertheless works. Lastly, as to its anti-catabolic power? Hard to determine but considering its effects on me and others I’ve given it to I’d definetly venture to say it has a place in a T-Man’s world. Even if, at the very least, only utilized during an illness. Thoughts anyone?

Well, I’m going to wait until I read part II before making a decision, but I can say that I’ve never gotten enough out of glutamine to make me buy it again. Most are recommending super large dosages these days though, and I admit I haven’t tried that yet. I just have other things to spend my money that I consider “core”.

AH … but he made you think about it! Plus, it’s an old T-mag tradition to publish stuff that other authors recommend. I know that Poliquin recommended glutamine. Also, a lot of whey suppliers tout ‘extra glutamine’ on their label (and then you look at it’s extra glutamate - making it useless since it’s missing the extra nitrogen).

Be sure to check out Part 2 of the article, as he does say that he will be covering when glutamine can be of benefit. Suffice it to say that I’ve done quite a bit of research and written about it (which you may be reading eventually), and I’m convinced that it does have its place at certain times in one’s life. I must, however, agree with Barr; it is not the anabolic solution that it is hyped to be. You are far more likely to attain appreciable benefits when a) using it for immunity-boosting properties or b) on a very low-carb diet.

Yes I agree it’s not a huge muscle anabolic however during illness it does a very good job at preserving mass. I know this because my broter ALWAYS loses a tremendous amount of muscle during a bad illness. So much so that it’s rather surprising. After having him intake it however the catabolism stops; or at hte very least slows a great deal. Plus, as already stated, my dad noticed less soreness and increased recovery. However the latter observation seems ot be limited to just my parents not myself. Perhaps age is a factor? But no it’s not a wonderful supplement for massive muscle gain but it definetly has it’s place. At least in the areas I previously described. OR maybe it just works for my fmaily :wink: