T Nation

Glutamine and Creatine when Cutting

Hey all,

I have a friend right now who is cutting and was wondering if supplementing with creatine and glutamine would help for recovery purposes since he is going low carb. I really didn’t know the answer so I thought I would pose the question here.

Glutamine could help refill his glycogen on a low carb diet. In other words more energy in your muscles

Glutamine also makes your blood less acid, just like veggies. He might not get enough veggies when going low carb. High protein makes your blood more acid, more acid blood hinders fat loss and muscle gain.

Both will help him on a low carb diet or not.

Gerdy

Great info Joris, thanks

doesn’t creatine need to be mixed with a drink that has sugar? and if so wouldn’t that be bad for low carb diet?

Glutamine and creatine will certainly help with recovery. even on a low carb diet, a recovery drink of some sort should be consumed peri or post workout. in my opinon, a drink in lower ranges of maltodextrin or dextrose during the workout should be perfectly fine and may actually help with maintaining muscle and losing fat since it will easily be burned off during the workout.

[quote]king044 wrote:
doesn’t creatine need to be mixed with a drink that has sugar? and if so wouldn’t that be bad for low carb diet?[/quote]

No, it needs to be mixed properly in warm water.

[quote]Joris wrote:
Glutamine could help refill his glycogen on a low carb diet. In other words more energy in your muscles

quote]

replenishes ATP not glucose.

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
Joris wrote:

quote]

replenishes ATP not glucose.

[/quote]

are you serious with your avatar!??!