Glucosomine/Chondroiden

i was recently prescribed this by my doctor for my knee microfracture and meniscus repair? what is it? what does it do and does it work. It seems like almost an arthritis medicine. (im 19 scholarship football player, really hoping this stuff helps) Whats the deal with it? i take 6 pills a day.

It’s definitely NOT just for arthritis. I live on this stuff! With all the heavy lifting I do and pounding my joints take from gymnastics and fitness routine practice, glucosamine is a necessity! (And I’m 25 years old) Here’s a quick description of glucosamine and chondroitin:

Glucosamine is a charged sugar molecule that is a key component of the extra cellular matrix of cartilage. It absorbs and releases water with each step, thereby acting as a shock absorber for the joints. With more glucosamine, there is more joint protection. It is the essential and principal ingredient that determines the quantity of proteoglycan (water-holding) molecules that are formed in the body. The proteoglycans are large, water-binding molecules made up of (both) proteins and sugars. These are a major building block of healthy, vital cartilage. Glucosamine also stimulates the production of glycosaminoglycans (GAG’s) which are important proteins found in cartilage. They serve to “bind” the water within the cartilage matrix, slowing the deterioration of your joints, and easing your pain.

Chondroitin Sulfate serves to attract fluids into proteoglycan molecules which assists you in two ways. First, it draws nutrients into your cartilage. Secondly, it increases the flow of fluid into your cartilage to add resiliency. It also serves to protect existing cartilage from premature degeneration by blocking “bad” enzymes that destroy cartilage and as well, prevent nutrient replenishment. Chondroitin sulfate is a naturally occurring component of cartilage that aids in the lubrication and cushioning of joints. Chondroitin also provides structure and flexibility to your joints.

wow sounds like just what i need, how good does it work and how long till effects really set it?>

I think how well it works depends on the brand - some deliver a lot more of the product to your system than others, like any supplement or vitamin. I would say you can notice permanent effects within 2-3 months, but some people notice instant pain relief within minutes of taking the liquid version.

I also take SAM-e tablets to aid in joint repair, and bromelain is already an ingredient in the liquid glucosamine complex I take.

It takes 3 months to fully notice the effects. But once you start using it you wont ever squat heavy and deep without it. Some people dont respond to it though. I have a couple of friends who tried it for two months and didnt notice any difference.

Even though they recommend 1500 mg a day on the label and at the clinic. I find just two doses of 500 mg during the day was enough for me.

Best part: No real side effects.

It’s excellent. I take it religiously. Puritan’s Pride is supposed to be once of the best brands in terms of actually having the amount the say they do. It’s an online vitamin company. You can find it easily with a Google search.

I noticed a big difference within a month and a HUGE difference after 3 months.

When I played football I took alot of MSM. That seemed to help better then Glucosamine/Condroitin, though G/C did benefit me in the long run.

Concider MSM, if you’re not allergic to shellfish.

What are the ideal amounts of MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin to be taken? It seems everywhere I look they recommend different amounts. Also, I suppose an old granny won’t need the same amount as a 25 year-old bodybuilder, right?

Any help…?

If anyone wants it, I have an excellent powerpoint that was done for class on all the great details of these two compounds. PM me if ya’ need it :slight_smile:

Are there any negative side effects of the drugs? I’m just wondering whether I should add them, ( I don’t have any significant joint pain right now, but I get it occasionally) or if I should wait to see if I really need it.

[quote]Lightrat wrote:
Are there any negative side effects of the drugs? I’m just wondering whether I should add them, ( I don’t have any significant joint pain right now, but I get it occasionally) or if I should wait to see if I really need it.[/quote]

I recall reading that glucosamine negatively affects insulin sensitivity. Use the search function, I am sure JB or LL mentioned it in an article.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Lightrat wrote:
Are there any negative side effects of the drugs? I’m just wondering whether I should add them, ( I don’t have any significant joint pain right now, but I get it occasionally) or if I should wait to see if I really need it.

I recall reading that glucosamine negatively affects insulin sensitivity. Use the search function, I am sure JB or LL mentioned it in an article.[/quote]

Glucose + Amine molecule = glucosamine

Yes you are taking in a form of sugar and that is how there might be a decrease in insulin sensitivity. When it comes down to it though, look at it in a couple ways:

1. If you are eating healthy and not pre-contest, having a MINOR decrease in insulin sensitivity is not going to affect you at all.

2. On a personal level, what affects you more: joint pain preventing you from lifting, or the thought that a supplement you are taking might affect your insulin in a minor way? I think there is no question as to the path to take on these.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
What are the ideal amounts of MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin to be taken? It seems everywhere I look they recommend different amounts. Also, I suppose an old granny won’t need the same amount as a 25 year-old bodybuilder, right?

Any help…?[/quote]

Don’t know about ideal. But my brand, Puritan’s Pride, has 500 mg of glucosamine, 400 mg of chondroitin, and about 175 mg of MSN per pill. I take 4 a day.

I don’t take Chondroitin and perhaps those who do should be aware of the following:

“The concentration of chondroitin sulfate was found to be higher in cancerous prostate tissue as compared to normal prostate tissue. In the other study, it was shown that higher concentrations of chondroitin sulfate in the tissue surrounding a cancerous prostate tumor predict a higher rate of recurrence of the cancer after surgery. However, no studies to date have addressed the question of whether taking chondroitin sulfate supplements could promote the development of prostate cancer.”

Keep in mind that whenever you consume something that has the potential to help you, it may also have the potential for a side effect. The side effect might be very minor, or something major, such as the above.

Do your research!

I suffer from arthritis in my wrists. My doctor strongly suggested Glucosamine/Chondroitin. She recently told me to take Glucosamine alone and to stop taking Chondroitin due to the article quote above. Several other articles are out on the same issue.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Don’t know about ideal. But my brand, Puritan’s Pride, has 500 mg of glucosamine, 400 mg of chondroitin, and about 175 mg of MSN per pill. I take 4 a day.[/quote]

Thanks, mate. I looked up the website, prices aren’t bad, if you’re in the US.

The Glucosamine and Chondroitin ammounts seem to make sense, but the MSM I take says 3000 mg per day.

Still looking…

what is MSM?

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
michael2507 wrote:
Lightrat wrote:

I recall reading that glucosamine negatively affects insulin sensitivity. Use the search function, I am sure JB or LL mentioned it in an article.

Glucose + Amine molecule = glucosamine

Yes you are taking in a form of sugar and that is how there might be a decrease in insulin sensitivity. When it comes down to it though, look at it in a couple ways:

1. If you are eating healthy and not pre-contest, having a MINOR decrease in insulin sensitivity is not going to affect you at all.

2. On a personal level, what affects you more: joint pain preventing you from lifting, or the thought that a supplement you are taking might affect your insulin in a minor way? I think there is no question as to the path to take on these.
    [/quote]
    Basically, I agree with what has been said regarding choosing one’s priorities. As for the issue of insulin sensitivity, I am not sure if the case is that simple. Although a few years old, this article from Cy Willson gives a basic overview:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459848

As for the Chondroitin recommendation in the article, read ZEB’s post.

I guess the whole topic would make up a great question for Prime Time…

[quote]Split wrote:
what is MSM?[/quote]

Methyl-sulfonyl-methane.