T Nation

Glucosamine: Yes or No?

I was wondering what your opinion is on glucosamine. I’m sure most of you have read Cy Wilson’s article that points out the cons of using glucosamine and I’m weighing the pros and cons of taking it. I don’t have any serious joint pain, but I already have minor pain in both knees on a semi-regular basis and I’m only 22. I’m fine now, I’m just worrying about down the road, 10 or 20 years from now if I’m already starting to have joint discomfort at an early age. Part of what has me thinking about this is my girlfriend had surgery on her right meniscus about a year or so ago and already is developing arthritis, and I don’t want to end up like that. I want to be lifting hard and making gains for years to come and while I realize most of us will have arthritis when we get old, I want “old” to mean 30 or 40… more like 80 or something :slight_smile: So, should I take glucosamine as a preventive measure, or will it affect my gains in the gym noticeably? I’ve tried looking for a chondroitin only supplement but can only find it in combination with glucosamine… Thanks

go to puritans.com , they have a chondrotin only supplement that i take. laters pk

Since Cy’s article I’ve read elsewhere that the dose of glucosamine used (1.5 g/day) is too little to cause problems with insulin resistance. I highly recommend glucosamine. The stuff definitely works to reduce pain and regenerate cartilage.

I switched from Gluc to MSM and Coral Calcium. It has helped quite a bit.

The studies showing glucosamine negatively affecting insulin sensitivity used massive amounts so there’s little worry there. As it turns out that might not be such a bad thing after all as a very high glucosamine level may also increase leptin which normally comes from being in a “fed” state. I’d go ahead and use it as it does make a noticeable difference for many but also works better wehn combined with chrondroitin, msm, and coral calcium

Nimrod, I had quite a bit of pain in my ankle from previous injuries in basketball and began taking Glucosamine/Chondroitin at my doctor’s advice.

It worked great, and only took about 3 weeks for the pain relieving effects, which really surprised me. I’m now taking the same stuff with the addition of MSM, and it’s the bomb. More flexibility, hardly any pain.

I realize it doesn’t work like this on everyone, but I’d say it’s definitely worth a try.