T Nation

Glucosamine for Miniscus?

I recently tore a miniscus in my knee. I understand that glucosamine/ chondroitin combo is benificial for arthritis sufferers, but can it help speed my recovery?

My experience with Glucosamine was it was excellent for my miniscus, fucked mine up pretty big time, Dr's wanted to operate but i wanted to see how i went over 1-9 months.

Took it easy and rehab it slowly, used the Glucosamine with co-factors and brought the best i could, 5g 6-8 times a day and increased my Vit C intake to about3-6 grams a day.
          I stayed postive and it slowly inproved, now it is back to feeling tip top, was gentle with my range of motion with squats but am now back to arse to ground squats.

Others may have different views, i can only comment on mine and with patience and the right nutrition and not rushing my recovery my knee is back to 100%, went back to the surgeon after and he told me i was a freak of nature but sometimes you need to listen to your body, its amazing what it can do given the right circumstances, all the best with whatever course you choose.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
My experience with Glucosamine was it was excellent for my miniscus, fucked mine up pretty big time, Dr’s wanted to operate but i wanted to see how i went over 1-9 months.

Took it easy and rehab it slowly, used the Glucosamine with co-factors and brought the best i could, 5g 6-8 times a day and increased my Vit C intake to about3-6 grams a day.
          I stayed postive and it slowly inproved, now it is back to feeling tip top, was gentle with my range of motion with squats but am now back to arse to ground squats.

[/quote]

So are you saying that the glucosamine healed your torn miniscus? Did you tear it in the avascular region or the very small vascular region in the first place?

I’m wondering b/c I tore my meniscus a year or two ago and took glocosamine 500mg 2x daily for 3 months with vit c every day (always take a vit c everyday) and and then cut back to 1 900mg glocosamine and chrondroitin pill per day. I don’t know if this is enough to have an effect, or if it has helped me or not… my knee seems pretty fine now I guess and doesn’t bother me, but I think that may be because the torn flap settled down into a non irritating position.

Do you plan to maintain 6-8 pill sessions/day? Seems like a lot, especailly if you take 5g at a time if I read that right (that would be 30,000-40,000 mg a day!).

[quote]ohagajosh wrote:
aussie486 wrote:
My experience with Glucosamine was it was excellent for my miniscus, fucked mine up pretty big time, Dr’s wanted to operate but i wanted to see how i went over 1-9 months.

So are you saying that the glucosamine healed your torn miniscus? Did you tear it in the avascular region or the very small vascular region in the first place?

I’m wondering b/c I tore my meniscus a year or two ago and took glocosamine 500mg 2x daily for 3 months with vit c every day (always take a vit c everyday) and and then cut back to 1 900mg glocosamine and chrondroitin pill per day. I don’t know if this is enough to have an effect, or if it has helped me or not… my knee seems pretty fine now I guess and doesn’t bother me, but I think that may be because the torn flap settled down into a non irritating position.

Do you plan to maintain 6-8 pill sessions/day? Seems like a lot, especailly if you take 5g at a time if I read that right (that would be 30,000-40,000 mg a day!). [/quote]

I don't think it healed it but it in my view help considerably with getting it back to pre fuck up functioning, I had some niggles as well in my elbow and shoulder and since starting the dosage they cleared up as well. 
       At this stage i was still training my upper body as hard as i could, crutchs and all and within 3-4 months of constant dosing the niggles were no longer there, i had not used this supplement before and  trained hard and heavy and consistently for 20 years, I tore it in the avasclar region.
        My doage is now at 5g three times a day, regular as clockwork and my joints have never felt better, I am training and gaining at the greatest rate that i have in my training life now, i know that the only thing that will will stop me from gaining in the future will be my joints and tendons, so this supp is a must for me.
         i used it at the higher dosage for the first 9 months and had no side effects from it, i really do think it is a wortwhile supplement and would really like to see Biotest bring out a version of their own.
        You won't notice any difference in the short term but in the medium to longer term is where i believe this supp really comes into its own, i have always really looked after my joints and tendons as I have seen to many people sidelined or even been fucked up to the extent of life long pain and issues when something has gone snappo or ripped, this supp i believe is invalueable in giving your body that edge that may prevent this from happening. 

Thanks for the replys guys.

I’ve been taking over 4 gm/day of glucosamine and over 2 gm/day of chondroitin in two even doses. Will MSM also help speed the recovery rate? Also, I always take 500mg of Vit.C/day, would doubling, or quadrupeling that speed recovery more?

I don’t yet know which portion is tore. Soft-tissue scan is scheduled for next week, I’m assuming that the vascular region has a speedier recovery time?

Thanks for you time!

glucosamine/chondroitine are a wonder-drug in my humble opinion…I’ve heard powerlifters take up to 10g a day with Vitamin C and Manganese (in a good multi) to alleviate torn ligaments/cartilage…and have, by all acounts, worked for them. It did wonders for my torn labrum…I cycle the dose up and down throughout the year…don’t really go any lower than 2g/d…kinda expensive…but you could by powder and mixed it in your daily allotment of protein powder. beyond-a-century.com is substantially cheaper than buying the pills at wal-mart or sam’s…hope that helps…

Whoa! 10g a day? That’s a shitload. But then again, I haven’t rally heard any solid dosing protocals.

Currently I’m taking 4g glucosamine, 2.5g chondroitin, 2g MSM every day split into two doses.

Would doubling that intake, at least for the next 5-6 weeks, speed recovery or just be a waste? Maby break it up into three daily doses?

Thanks agian!

Hey Soldier
hope things are going well, 10g is not a lot, for average dosing on the powder I take, the recommended dosage is two serves a day. A serving size being 6g and at this stage i take 3 serves a day.
In re to dosing i would take multipule doses during the day, I tried to keep my body in a postive balance in re to this supplement, it appear to work really well for me
Would increase your Vit c a lot, 500mg is not going to cut it during the acute phase of your injury, at least take it to 3-6 grams and see how your body tolerates it, vit C is amazing and if you respond to it all the better but 500mg during acute inflamation is jack shit, and again multipule dose’s appeared to work well with me.
Stay postive, don’t sit on your butt, modify your training but keep training, eat veggies at least 3-6 serves a day with lots of good quality protein being truck in as well, would investigate fish oil as well as i have have good results with supplementing with that as well, again this is worked for me, all the best for your recovery.

[quote]aussie486 wrote:
Hey Soldier
hope things are going well, 10g is not a lot, for average dosing on the powder I take, the recommended dosage is two serves a day. A serving size being 6g and at this stage i take 3 serves a day.
In re to dosing i would take multipule doses during the day, I tried to keep my body in a postive balance in re to this supplement, it appear to work really well for me
Would increase your Vit c a lot, 500mg is not going to cut it during the acute phase of your injury, at least take it to 3-6 grams and see how your body tolerates it, vit C is amazing and if you respond to it all the better but 500mg during acute inflamation is jack shit, and again multipule dose’s appeared to work well with me.
Stay postive, don’t sit on your butt, modify your training but keep training, eat veggies at least 3-6 serves a day with lots of good quality protein being truck in as well, would investigate fish oil as well as i have have good results with supplementing with that as well, again this is worked for me, all the best for your recovery.[/quote]

Awsome help, thanks!