Glucosamine for Injuries

I`m suffering from this knee injury.
My Physio thinks its a lig or a cartilage injury.

A lot of people recommend taking Glucosamine supplements.
Those who have taken them-what are your experiences?

I was thinking of taking this Glucosamine spp.
It contains:
*Glucosamine sulphate:500 mg
*Chondroitin Sulphate:400 mg.

*How many should I take/day?
*Optimum time?
*How many months will I have to take it until I see the effects?

I’ve only taken them as a preventative, but I’ve read literature which discusses the ability of these products to help relieve joint pain and to promote cartilage growth.

Becuase the injuries you are talking about are in tissues that don’t have internal blood supplies, you will be looking at longer healing times. I don’t know enough to give you specifics though.

Just a heads up. You might want to google MSM as well.
( methylsulfonylmethane )
I have no personal experience with it myself, but have heard stories that it’s on par with Glucosamine for knee pain. I think some products are formulated with both MSN and Glucosamine now.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]Azrael wrote:
I`m suffering from this knee injury.
My Physio thinks its a lig or a cartilage injury.

A lot of people recommend taking Glucosamine supplements.
Those who have taken them-what are your experiences?

I was thinking of taking this Glucosamine spp.
It contains:
*Glucosamine sulphate:500 mg
*Chondroitin Sulphate:400 mg.

*How many should I take/day?
*Optimum time?
*How many months will I have to take it until I see the effects?[/quote]

1.5g glucosamine a day is a normal dosage. I am on it on a permanent basis as I do not have any cartilage in my left hip. I do not know about chondroitin, but glucosamine can sometimes be bought in sachets at a much lower price. Tastes like apeshit, though.

I’ve been taking glucosamine/chondroitin for quite a while now and it does help. From what I understand, the important thing to remember is that it isn’t a drug but rather a supplement; as you age, your body produces less glucosamine. I have been taking a once a day formula. It should take at least 3-4 weeks before you begin to feel a difference. Also, some people find that chondroitin upsets their stomach so it might be wise to take with food.