Gloves

If you are a man…no gloves. Real men do not wear gloves.

Douggie… My last name is Bearit therefore I thought I should use it, it’s what people call me. No hiding here kid. Your opinion is respected it’s your attitude that sucks, people come onto this site and ask questions and people share their opinions I understand that. You though, asked me if I wanted to be treated like a sissy, you went past opinion and spoke to me. Therefore I shared my opinion of you, fair? Let me explain here, I am a sign language interpreter and I sign for the deaf blind also. So as a matter of profession, all sissyness aside, I’m wondering which gloves are the best. Not if you think gloves are sissyish but which are the best. By the way Doug your girl must get wet panties visiting the burn unit at a hospital you know, loving scars and all. Thanks… BEARIT

I don’t recommend gloves for lifting. I believe it’s better neurologically. I think Pavel Tsatsouline gives a reason not to wear them in his book. If you don’t like the calluses, rip them off, wear lotion, and get regular manicures!

The great glove controversy! I think this is hilarious, people who define masculinity by their gym accesories. I could wear a f***in’ pink dress and not give a shit what the great unwashed considered manly. If you think the absence of gloves and the calluses on your knarled old beaters makes you a man you have some deep rooted issues.

Pavel points out that when a heavy load causes pressure against the body, a reflex causes your nervous sytem to recruit otherwise high-threshold fibers in a sort of emergency response. There are Mechanoreceptors in your joints that sense heavy loads bearing down on them that can trigger this reflex. That’s why you can’t just sit there and flex your biceps as hard as you can, never curl a weight, then go win some heavy curl contest. In the case of gloves, there are actually bundles of nerves in the fleshy part of the palms that sense pressure. Once the pressure gets high, in kicks the reflex. Now, I’m no exercise physiologist (but I do play one on TV), so forgive me if I’ve stated something incorrectly or used bad terminology. So back to the point at hand (pun). By wearing gloves the weight stays the same, but the pressure against these special sensors are recuced. Therefore, the excitability of the higher threshold fibers is reduced. John B., please knock me down if I’ve screwed anything up.

if you read “get buffed” by ian king, he will tell you not to use anything.

Gloves are great! But I don’t use them. I use to until the calling for competition. Without gloves and wrist straps, I had to develop strong hands and a good grip when doing bent over rows or pull ups.
The down side of no gloves, my wife says my hands feel like old catchers mits. Personally, I don’t care if they feel like catchers mits, as long as she doesn’t say get away from me with those things! Peace

I’m of the no gloves opinion, I used to wear them but find that I get a better mind/muscle conection not using them, use straps for rows etc. Nothing like grabbing a bar at 6.30am in the middle of winter to help wake you up.