Gloves/Wristwraps Easier Benching?

I started getting sick of calluses so I decided to wear some weightlifting gloves(the ones with a built in wrist wrappy thingy).

Well, when I when to bench my 8rm, I was somehow able to do 12 reps. The gloves made my bench stronger. That was 2 weeks ago.

Now, I dont feel a difference with the gloves on at all. I tried to do my old 8rm and I was only able to do 10 reps. I was able to do 12 when I first wore the gloves.

Is it that my body got used to them?

And should I wear the gloves/wraps? Does it matter in terms of getting stronger?

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
I started getting sick of calluses so I decided to wear some weightlifting gloves(the ones with a built in wrist wrappy thingy)

Well, when I when to bench my 8rm, I was somehow able to do 12 reps. The gloves made my bench stronger. That was 2 weeks ago.

Now, I dont feel a difference with the gloves on at all. I tried to do my old 8rm and I was only able to do 10 reps. I was able to do 12 when I first wore the gloves.

And should I wear the gloves/wraps? Does it matter in terms of getting stronger?[/quote]

I believe that technically the phenomenon is from the wrist wrappy thingy’s tapping into your CNS and increasing the signal strength at the MEP. This can best be seen in a species known as the borg. You might need to get it checked out.

the gloves definitely did not make you stronger. IMO, weightlifting gloves are about as useful as an extra asshole.
What helped you was the wrist wraps. wrapping the wrists keeps them straight throughout the set increasing your leverage.

meat

It is very unlikely that the gloves would improve your bench. Usually it would be the reverse. The most likely reason you improved is the wrist wrap portion, which suggests that you have weak wrists.

Throw away the gloves and keep benching. Keep the calluses under control by getting a callus file and using it regularly. This will also prevent them getting torn off. You will only ever need wrist wraps if you are lifting up around your 3RM or more.

It’s hard to know what to make of a man with soft hands. Women know this. And, deep down, you know this too.

However, wrist wraps are good for lifting heavier weights. They improve your bench form because they help you keep the bar over your elbows. They also keep your wrists from getting banged up- easy to do given the delicate structure of wrists. Buy yourself a 15-20 doller set of wraps- Zs, THPs, Metal, whatever- and shit can the gloves. But I would keep them off for anything lighter than a 5 rep weight and keep them off on assitance work unless your wrists are banged up.

I think we are all ignoring the main issue here:

Who on earth has an 8RM?

A man with lifting gloves.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

Who on earth has an 8RM?[/quote]

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

Who on earth has an 8RM?[/quote]

I don’t want to get too big. I just want to tone.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
I started getting sick of calluses so I decided to wear some weightlifting gloves(the ones with a built in wrist wrappy thingy).

And should I wear the gloves/wraps? Does it matter in terms of getting stronger?[/quote]

Please…Please for the love of God, do not be “that” guy in the Gym wearing gloves and wraps.

Shakes head

Thanks.

But WHY should I not wear gloves and wrist wraps?

Will it affect my strength gains?

Will it hurt me in the long run?

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Thanks.

Will it hurt me in the long run?[/quote]

Not to get to technical, but gloves are like shoes on your feet. When wearing something between the object you are lifting and or presing your feet into the ground, they both deaden the receptors that relay info back to the brain about joint position among other things which can alter your movement and in turn decrease the efficiency of your lifting.

Lift either barefoot or in very thin soled shoes, and get rid of the gloves. I personally like to use 120 grit sandpaper to take care of my callusus.

[quote]Baller1950 wrote:
Thanks.

Will it hurt me in the long run?[/quote]

Its considered feminine. It also is like wearing a belt all the time in that your wrists will be weaker because you are using the wraps as a crutch instead of developing the proper wrist strength to move the weight. This sets you up for injuries when your bench increases to a point that your wrists can’t handle it, even when wrapped. My advice is to not use the wraps and get rid of the calluses with your pocketknife.

calluses are cool. don’t file them down too much. I find they harden up my grip and protect my hands. Occasionally one will fly off, which sucks. But mole skin and hockey tape can fix that for a bit.

-chris

yes, straps will hurt you in the long run. your grip strength won’t improve.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-097-training

read the section titled
Fat Grip = Bigger Muscles

and only pussies wear lifting gloves. be proud of your man hands.

if you have a weak link in your chain of muscles, don’t patch the link with duck tape, weld it stronger so your entire body is stronger. Makes sense to me.

[quote]Scott aka Rice wrote:
yes, straps will hurt you in the long run. your grip strength won’t improve.

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=06-097-training

read the section titled
Fat Grip = Bigger Muscles

and only pussies wear lifting gloves. be proud of your man hands.

if you have a weak link in your chain of muscles, don’t patch the link with duck tape, weld it stronger so your entire body is stronger. Makes sense to me.[/quote]

I think he was referring to wraps that go around his wrist to increase the stability, not straps that you would use for cleaning. Something like this.
http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Gofit_GoFit_Diamond_Tac_Wrist_Wrap_Weightlifting_Gloves_L

I would have to agree with all the posts that suggest that the wrist stability created by the “wraps” on the gloves have aided in support, thus raising your performance.

Shadow

Ronnie Coleman wears gloves sometimes.

Go ahead and wear them if you want. Just don’t wear them on the treadmill.

I wear gloves all the time, but I hate wrist wraps, and I can tell you I’m no pussy. So if somebody is outlifting the Hell out of you wearing gloves, are they still a pussy? Gimme a break. I also find that when giving massages, my wife prefers hands that feel like skin and not tree roots.
More personal activities flow in the same vein.

my advice wasn’t for activities outside the weightroom :slight_smile: i’ll be the first to admit my girl hates my hands. And fuck Ron Coleman with his non-symmetrical build. I don’t care about his routine. He cries when he curls in the squat rack.

If you really need gloves to get a grip I’d prefer to use chalk on the barbell. Or maybe you just need to start using a hook grip on your lifts? And if you’re that concerned with your looks, get some lotion for your hands. Your hands will still be rough, but at least it won’t show.

here’s my personal rating system
straps=never
chalk=great for heavy lifts
gloves=acceptable