T Nation

Gloves or No Gloves?

Should I use gloves or not? When I started lifting a year ago, I bought gloves to help my hands on shrugs. Then I started using them for everything else. I’ve since limited glove use to deadlifts, shrugs, and cleans. I’ve read some articles here that say if you wrap towels and stuff around a bar and lift with it, it will help your grip. Do gloves do the same thing? Anyway, all the guys at the gym I train at who look more experienced don’t use gloves, and all the beginner-looking types do use gloves. So, gloves or not?

Gloves are bad! I would loose them while you can. They actually limit you grip strength. After not using them for a while your hands will toughen up and you won’t miss them.

I don’t use em. I find they actually impair my grip. Just watch out and keep your calluses filed down or you’ll tear them off like I did. Not pleasant. As far as wrapping the bar w/ a towel to help your grip, it’s similar to using a thick bar in that it will train your grip to make it stronger. I doubt any gloves have significant enough thickness to elicit this effect however.

I have sweaty palms, so I use gloves. They’re great for DL’s, and they keep my hands dry and my grip solid. I think it’s all up to preference, no one will judge you differently if you wear them.

No gloves.

GLOVES = GAY

CHALK = COOL

As a Union Laborer, I wear gloves at work because it is the smart, safe thing to do. At the gym I prefer the feel of steel on flesh.

If you want to wear gloves, make sure you are the biggest/strongest MF in the gym and no one will say a word.

[quote]wrestler189 wrote:
… all the guys at the gym I train at who look more experienced don’t use gloves, and all the beginner-looking types do …[/quote]

As well as the reason you quoted above, I remember Pavel specifically advising against them for pressing/triceps work. It inhibits some sensors in the hands which react to pressure by increasing the contraction on the muscles involved.

No gloves!

I don’t like the feel of gloves while I’m lifting.

JMB

Definetely no gloves. Actually, it makes your grip worse.

Wear gloves when it’s cold,
wrap a towel around the bar when you’re squating and you have sunburn, otherwise you’ll get laughed at.
Dax

I do not use gloves for many of the reasons previously stated, but chalk is necessary to train without them. I get mine from ironmind.

You get eight blocks for about ten bucks, and so far each block has lasted me for a year. That’s a bargain.

On the other hand, some people like liquid chalk. I have not tried it myself.

[quote]bino wrote:

On the other hand, some people like liquid chalk. I have not tried it myself.[/quote]

I have and do use both. The liquid chalk is good for commercial gyms that don’t allow chalk. I would say that the liquid is not as good as regular chalk IMO.

Arnold always said if you need a belt, wrist straps, or gloves to assist you in lifting a weight then it is too heavy for you.

Seriously, if your grip is weak or your palms are sweaty get some chalk.

Leave the gloves to the “Queer Eye” crowd.

We have a saying in our weight room regarding gloves: Feel the Steel! Chalk is in steady supply and strongly encouraged. As far as straps go, if the weight exceeds the grip, use straps, i.e., if you can shrug 400 with straps, but only 250 without, then strpas would make sense. Extra grip work would be done later.

Eh, I used to be part of the no gloves crowd, but I’ve actually started using my football gloves, simply because I know that my actions on the field are going to include them, so shouldn’t my training? I’d rather learn how to grip using them, so that it doesn’t feel foriegn to me on the field. It’s just training with your equipment, really.

Right on T-Nation men! Gloves are for whimps. Give those gloves to your sister and grow a set. Calluses and nuts.

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
I think it’s all up to preference, no one will judge you differently if you wear them.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I think xomegaxprimex just disproved that above.

As for me, I used them years ago when i first started lifting, but I prefer chalk. The added thickness in the beginning was sort of like having a slightly fatter bar, so that’s a plus.

Matthew

Considering all I do is office work and research, my hands become soft and gayish if I wear gloves. I occasionally have to take a pair of scissors to my hands though as the dead skin buildup gets a little extereme.