Gloves and Straps

Hi, ive been weight training, and i feel like my performance is hindered because of my grip strength, i know i can lift more and do more reps if i had some lifting straps. But i dont want calluses. Im wearing gloves with wrist wraps already.

Am i able to wear straps and gloves at the same?

Which would work better with my gloves

http://bodybuilding.com/store/gl/neopad.html

http://bodybuilding.com/store/sck/liftdow.html

gloves and straps are good tools, but the tendency is to depend on them. Most any will do. If the grip is the limiting factor, might be beneficial to focus on correcting that in addition to the aid of straps and gloves.

[quote]Tawman wrote:
Hi, ive been weight training, and i feel like my performance is hindered because of my grip strength, i know i can lift more and do more reps if i had some lifting straps. But i dont want calluses. Im wearing gloves with wrist wraps already.

Am i able to wear straps and gloves at the same?

Which would work better with my gloves

http://bodybuilding.com/store/gl/neopad.html

http://bodybuilding.com/store/sck/liftdow.html

[/quote]

I would suggest you learn to use chalk + hook grip. Works great for me.

[quote]Tawman wrote:
But i dont want calluses.
[/quote]

Is that because you think the ladies want you to have buttery-soft palms? As long as your nails are short and clean you won’t offend the fairer sex.

And if that not your reason, why in God’s name would you want to avoid calluses? Aren’t you a man? Do you do anything with your hands, even recreationally? Do you do some sort of work where calluses are a liability?

Lastly, do you realize that gloves make you look like a douche? Since it seems like you’re trying to put the ‘man’ back in manicure, cancel your next one and order some quality grippers from Elitefts.com, start deadlifting without gloves/straps/anything, and get yourself some man hands. It’ll make your overwhelming sensitivity that much more notable to the ladies.

Don’t be such a pussy! Go barehanded.
And train your grip after legs on leg days.

Callouses are cool.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

Callouses are cool.[/quote]

Totally agree… and they’re even cooler when spelled correctly :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad there are guys like InCorporeSano here to tell us that wearing gloves makes you look like a douche bag.

Ronnie Coleman uses gloves AND straps when deadlifting.

[quote]lazyaxus11 wrote:
I’m glad there are guys like InCorporeSano here to tell us that wearing gloves makes you look like a douche bag. [/quote]

True, we don’t need anyone telling us that, it’s fairly common knowledge :wink:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ronnie Coleman uses gloves AND straps when deadlifting.[/quote]

On all of his sets?

[quote]Modi wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Ronnie Coleman uses gloves AND straps when deadlifting.

On all of his sets?[/quote]

Probably not. Who does?

I don’t see the need for gloves, straps, and wraps. Straps alone will get the job done. But rather than put a band-aid on your grip problems, why not work your ass off at improving your grip rather than becoming reliant on some equipment? Use straps only when you need to, but you better be focusing on bringing up that grip.

Grip strength will turn your forearm into a rock. Skip the straps. You’ll be surprised at how fast your grip strength will improve.

[quote]Modi wrote:
lazyaxus11 wrote:
I’m glad there are guys like InCorporeSano here to tell us that wearing gloves makes you look like a douche bag.

True, we don’t need anyone telling us that, it’s fairly common knowledge ;)[/quote]

I wasn’t telling either of you. I was telling the OP, and I’m really not sure what the attitude is all about coming from you two. We’re all on the same side here trying to save this guy from being lame.

[quote]duke wrote:
deanosumo wrote:

Callouses are cool.

Totally agree… and they’re even cooler when spelled correctly :P[/quote]

Actually I think both spellings (callouses and calluses) are correct.

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
Modi wrote:
lazyaxus11 wrote:

True, we don’t need anyone telling us that, it’s fairly common knowledge :wink:

I wasn’t telling either of you. I was telling the OP, and I’m really not sure what the attitude is all about coming from you two. We’re all on the same side here trying to save this guy from being lame. [/quote]

Mine was sarcasm hence the :wink: at the end of my statement. I was actually agreeing with you in a sarcastic way…Sorry if you took it wrong. Sarcasm doesn’t always translate well over the internet.

My next post was going to be in response to ghargoyles post:

[quote]
Grip strength will turn your forearm into a rock. Skip the straps. You’ll be surprised at how fast your grip strength will improve. [/quote]

[sarcasm]
We already know the OP doesn’t want callouses, what makes you think he wants big forearms?[/sarcasm]

Just trying to keep it light. I’ve probably posted a half dozen times that I personally never use straps, gloves, wraps, belts, etc. I don’t want to make the weak links any worse.

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
Tawman wrote:
But i dont want calluses.

Is that because you think the ladies want you to have buttery-soft palms? As long as your nails are short and clean you won’t offend the fairer sex.

And if that not your reason, why in God’s name would you want to avoid calluses? Aren’t you a man? Do you do anything with your hands, even recreationally? Do you do some sort of work where calluses are a liability?

Lastly, do you realize that gloves make you look like a douche? Since it seems like you’re trying to put the ‘man’ back in manicure, cancel your next one and order some quality grippers from Elitefts.com, start deadlifting without gloves/straps/anything, and get yourself some man hands. It’ll make your overwhelming sensitivity that much more notable to the ladies. [/quote]

I find this whole response funny coming from an avatar like yours.

Nothing wrong with wearing gloves.

I wear gloves because i like it.I feel my hands slip way to much and chalk is not allowed at my gym so i go with gloves.
Peaople at my gym may think im a fool for wearing gloves…but who cares.
I see people wearing a weightbelt for their entire workout,wear hats while working out and tank tops in winter time when its freezing in the gym.So ill keep wearing my gloves as they are just a tool i use to my advantage.

Peace

I am el-uber douche-bagimus maximus because I wear gloves quite a bit.

I actually got two pair for Christmas

can’t beat chalk for deads though

Buy one of those things to train grip. I had the same problem as you, and I overcame it with that object (fuck, I don’t reacall the name)