Gladiator vs. Braveheart

[quote]swivel wrote:
i’d like to add " the duellists" an early movie(1977) also directed by ridley scott w/ harvey keitel, keith carradine, and albert phinney ! this movie kicks ass. check it out !
[/quote]
Based on a story by Joseph Conrad (Who wrote “Heart of Darkness”, which Coppola ripped off to create Apocalypse Now) many might find Duellists too “slow moving” that crave non-stop action, but it has other rewards: great storyline, solid acting, gorgeous cinematography (shots look like paintings), accurate Napoleonic era uniforms, and Ridley’s little trick homages, specifically the Kung-Fu/Samurai quick cuts in the barn saber fight

(Like the Zulu war chant he slipped into the rally of the savage germanic tribesmen against the Legions in Gladiator)and the Fight instructor’s cheeky comment after he runs off the nosy girlfriend, among others…Ya’ gotta love Ridley, he’s a clever dick…Duellists is out on DVD, so I agree, for true cine-heads,(this is a “Thinking T-Man’s” movie)to check it out…

Put me down for Gladiator.

1. Terminator 2
  2. Braveheart
  3. 300
  4. Gladiator

Sorry I had to add T2 in there. =)

Both were awesome. And had real substance. But I’d give Gladiator the edge-I thought its action scenes were better and more entertaining.

Braveheart

[quote]vroom wrote:
I can’t pick between them… though I find the ending to Gladiator a bit more satisfying.

I really enjoy when Maximus reveals his identity and swears his revenge.

It would be nice if DVD movies gave you a random outcome between several workable events for various significant plot events. It would make it much less onerous when watching the movie over again as you couldn’t be sure how things would turn out (this viewing).

Hey, somebody connect me with the movie industry!!![/quote]

I suppose you got a cologne that smells like the beach too!

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
Gladiator:Historical fiction with factual elements…
Braveheart:Historical fact with fictional elements…[/quote]

I was actually thinking about this last night after I’d posted my first response. It adds an interesting dynamic to the comparison of the two stories.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
Gladiator.

I’d put “Rob Roy” in my top 5 tough-guy movies.

Gladiator
Braveheart
Rob Roy
Patton[/quote]

Man, that’s bizarre. Earlier this week a good friend of mine (who’s a Marine BTW, PGJ…hehe) and I were discussing underrated “epic” movies, and he talked about Rob Roy.

I’d never seen it, and he was just talking about how it kind of got overlooked because of the all the hype surrounding Braveheart (apparently they were released around the same time).

I’ve never heard anyone else talk about it much.

Rob Roy was a good movie. But it didn’t have the fanfare and star power that Braveheart did. I think the end duel in Rob Roy was rather cheezy however.

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
some stuff about Ridley Scott
[/quote]

Speaking of Scott, one of the movies I mentioned in the discussion with my friend (see my post directly above) - and I know I’m going to catch a lot of shit for this - was Tristan and Isolde. I had always written it off as just a sappy love story, but when I actually caught it on HBO and decided to watch it last week, I was pleasantly surprised. There probably is a little more romance than most “T-men” would like, but the movie was enjoyable, overall.

http://www.ugo.com/channels/dvd/features/tristanandisolde/interview.asp

Ridley Scott had actually been working on the script for his version of the tale of Tristan and Isolde since his very first film (coincidentally enough, the Duellists), but held off for several years because he wanted it to be perfect. I felt bad that it did so poorly at the box office. From what I had gathered, it was kind of his lifelong passion to do that story.

Scott also talks about the scrapped Gladiator sequel in the interview linked above. Good interview.

[quote]CC wrote:
PGJ wrote:
Gladiator.

I’d put “Rob Roy” in my top 5 tough-guy movies.

Gladiator
Braveheart
Rob Roy
Patton

Man, that’s bizarre. Earlier this week a good friend of mine (who’s a Marine BTW, PGJ…hehe) and I were discussing underrated “epic” movies, and he talked about Rob Roy.

I’d never seen it, and he was just talking about how it kind of got overlooked because of the all the hype surrounding Braveheart (apparently they were released around the same time).

I’ve never heard anyone else talk about it much.

[/quote]

Go get Rob Roy. Not as bloody and brutal as Braveheart of Gladiator, but damn that guy was hard as nails. The bad guy in the movie is brilliant. I was never a Liam Neeson fan until this movie. His Star Wars stuff sucks badly compared to Rob Roy.

Full Metal Jacket
Braveheart
Starship Troopers

BRAVEHEART
gladiator/300

Gladiator (too long)
Braveheart (17 hours long)

Braveheart.

Personally, I think Mel could kick the shit out of Russel Crow as well. In fact, given his prior BJJ experience, I guarantee it.

[quote]superhero#1 wrote:
Gladiator (too long)
Braveheart (17 hours long)[/quote]

Sacrilege. Great movies can’t be too long!

Gladiators because…well…Romans!

Conan the barbarian
Rambo First blood

Gladiator
Braveheart

Haven’t seen 300, though.

I actually thought Troy was a pretty good movie too. I thought the battle scenes were brilliant.

[quote]V R wrote:
Braveheart.

Personally, I think Mel could kick the shit out of Russel Crow as well. In fact, given his prior BJJ experience, I guarantee it. [/quote]

LOL!