T Nation

Gladiator Grippers

I just bought two Gladiator Grippers from Muscledriver.com. I was a bit disappointed when I got them. I ordered the 150 and 200, and was able to close the 200 for ten reps right out of the package.

Has anyone ever heard of these grips and are they notorious for being weak or what?

Bump.

Never heard of 'em. Are they new, or a chinese rip off?

They’re a new company. I didn’t check on the package to see where they were made, but they look to be good quality materials and they’re well built. Just wish I had a CoC #2 available to compare the 200# with.

Have you considered that you just have a strong grip?

That could be, but I don’t consider myself to be very strong. I just got back into training in mid-May after almost five years of not lifting.

If I had a way of measuring whether or not it actually takes 200lbs of force to close it, I’d be satisfied with that.

Actually, I doubt you could close the equivalent of a 2 first try, the only people I know who’ve done that are rock climbers and armwrestlers, so I think you’ve been cheated, sorry.

On measuring how much force if you head over to www.gripboard.com I think there’s a formula or something to work of the force required

How about telling the forum admin to get off his lazy ass and approve my account?

or get ON his lazy ass?.. I dunno

those are inch per pounds not actual pounds, its more around 60 or so for yours if not less-prob less since no clue what those rate as, but looks like your 200 is probably equivalent to a CoC trainer I’m guessing-. A easy CoC #4 is little over 200 actual pounds-average hard are 220ish or so-. Try one of those out and you’ll see how ridiculously hard they are.

Use a dynamometer to test your max grip.

Physiotherapy places usually have them.

Aww hell, the only way I’m going to be satisfied is to get a CoC and check for myself. I’m gonna order a #3. At least that’ll give me something to work toward.

I can complete 14 reps with my 200. If that’s accurate, I should be able to close a number 3 @ 280lbs, right?

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Aww hell, the only way I’m going to be satisfied is to get a CoC and check for myself. I’m gonna order a #3. At least that’ll give me something to work toward.

I can complete 14 reps with my 200. If that’s accurate, I should be able to close a number 3 @ 280lbs, right?

[/quote]

NO, your gripper is not 200lbs of force to close, that is a little less then an easy CoC #4 which most people with the strongest hands in the world can’t close. A CoC #3 on average is about 150lbs, very hard gripper worth trying but be prepared to be humbled.

The grippers are listed in inch per pounds, not actual pounds of force. The gripboard has a much better explanation of it.

[quote]shizen wrote:
very hard gripper worth trying but be prepared to be humbled.
[/quote]

I was looking for a challenge when I bought the other ones. If I have to go back and buy a #2 or lower, that’s fine.

I’d recommend getting a 1 or a 1.5 as well as your 2 just in case. The 2 is REALLY hard to close first try, trust me.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Aww hell, the only way I’m going to be satisfied is to get a CoC and check for myself. I’m gonna order a #3. At least that’ll give me something to work toward.

I can complete 14 reps with my 200. If that’s accurate, I should be able to close a number 3 @ 280lbs, right?

[/quote]

Er, no way. Try it and you’ll see.

Finally got on the gripboard forum. Yeah, the 200 is nowhere near 200. The #3 CoC is nowhere near 280 either, but MUCH harder than my 200.

So here’s the new plan: Order the #3 AND an Iron Woody Vice Gripper, so I can work up to it.

Whatchoo think?

Got the #3 today. Can’t get anywhere near closing it. I can barely get the handles past parallel. It feels about like the Vice Gripper on notches 12 and 4. I can close the Vice at 21 and 1, almost at 12 and 2.

This is going to take a while. But I got the challenge I was looking for :slight_smile:

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Got the #3 today. Can’t get anywhere near closing it. I can barely get the handles past parallel. It feels about like the Vice Gripper on notches 12 and 4. I can close the Vice at 21 and 1, almost at 12 and 2.

This is going to take a while. But I got the challenge I was looking for :)[/quote]

Heh yep told yeah, don’t feel too bad only a few freak strongman have closed a #3 first try like big z. Whats crazy is when you see 180lb men on the gripboard closing #4’s.

Ya know, Ironmind has a pretty good marketing scheme with the whole certification and everything. Even though I have everything I need to work up to closing the #3, I find myself wanting to order a #2… just to say I can close a damn #2!

I mean, the quality is excellent and everything but, you know, I’m just sayin’.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Ya know, Ironmind has a pretty good marketing scheme with the whole certification and everything. Even though I have everything I need to work up to closing the #3, I find myself wanting to order a #2… just to say I can close a damn #2!

I mean, the quality is excellent and everything but, you know, I’m just sayin’.[/quote]

Yes nothing wrong with trying to make money, thats why they made the certification harder by making it credit card set-even though a lot of people don’t do the rules fully and still get certification- then they just added a new certification with the 3.5 to get people to buy more grippers.

The #2 is a great gripper, I doubt you’ll be able to close it right away though but you’ll definitely be closer then on the #3. You should have enough tools it just takes some time to get the #3.