T Nation

Giving Up

Our wonderful feds gave up trying to track down overpayments from the IRS. Now their giving up tracking illegals.

Such competence!!

“WASHINGTON, Dec. 14 ? In a major blow to the Bush administration?s efforts to secure borders, domestic security officials have for now given up on plans to develop a facial or fingerprint recognition system to determine whether a vast majority of foreign visitors leave the country, officials say.”

SHIT!!!

When I saw the title I thought you were giving up your stupid bullshit posting on here. I was hoping you were going to take your ball and go away. DAMN!!!

Oh well, another douche bag thread, brought to you courtesy of Dickhunter.

[quote]tme wrote:
SHIT!!!

When I saw the title I thought you were giving up your stupid bullshit posting on here. I was hoping you were going to take your ball and go away. DAMN!!!

Oh well, another douche bag thread, brought to you courtesy of Dickhunter.

[/quote]

This is Politics and World Issues, isn’t it? What’s your problem, needledick?

Yeah, I had hoped Nuthunter was giving up as well.

Hey, Nuthunter, perhaps the agencies are underfunded and have real crime issues to attend to… as opposed to simply tracking everyone.

Now, if you’d build a damned wall and stop so many people from crossing the border illegally every day, then it might be easier to keep track of things.

I’m guessing, and this might be a tough concept for you to follow, especially since you complain about being taxed so much, that it costs of lot of time, money and manpower to take millions of preemptive fingerprints on a nationwide basis every day.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I’m guessing, and this might be a tough concept for you to follow, especially since you complain about being taxed so much, that it costs of lot of time, money and manpower to take millions of preemptive fingerprints on a nationwide basis every day.[/quote]

You mean we have to collect the fingerprints first, before a system like this would actually work? Why not just make foreign visitors put a tracking chip in their neck so we can keep track of their visit to Disney World?

[quote]vroom wrote:
I’m guessing, and this might be a tough concept for you to follow, especially since you complain about being taxed so much, that it costs of lot of time, money and manpower to take millions of preemptive fingerprints on a nationwide basis every day.[/quote]

You forget that in his world that is an entirely acceptable use of his and my tax dollars. Helping victims of natural disasters, however, is not.

…no responses yet…
…all I hear is gnats buzzing…

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
…all I hear is gnats buzzing…[/quote]

Does that happen often?

First, if a thread doesn’t interest someone, why waste time posting in it at all?

What’s even worse, is that those who complain the most start no threads of their own. I could understand if they were pissed because another thread is more popular, but I don’t understand what they want. A P&WI forum that’s completely empty?

Back to the topic at hand:

To actually be able to track everyone that comes and goes in and out of the country would require pretty extensive surveillance.

I’m not saying that current security measures at the best we can have - in fact, much of it is “security theater,” which looks good and seems efficient, but doesn’t increase security at all - but that perfect security requires more surveillance than what a “free country” should need.

I fear that publicly giving up, as the original article show the government doing, is simply ammunition to argue for more surveillance. The govt. will use and public outcry to justify instituting more drastic measures. The various agencies will ask for more funds to install more automated systems; passports, fingerprints and pictures will become mandatory, etc.

At one point, you have to decide one what compromise is acceptable to you between security and freedom. I prefer more freedom even if that means imperfect security.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Our wonderful feds gave up trying to track down overpayments from the IRS. Now their giving up tracking illegals.

Such competence!!

“WASHINGTON, Dec. 14 ? In a major blow to the Bush administration?s efforts to secure borders, domestic security officials have for now given up on plans to develop a facial or fingerprint recognition system to determine whether a vast majority of foreign visitors leave the country, officials say.”
[/quote]

“It is a pretty daunting set of costs, both for the U.S. government and the economy,” Mr. Stewart said. “Congress has said, ‘We want you to do it.’ We are not going to ignore what Congress has said. But the costs here are daunting.”

“There are a lot of good ideas and things that would make the country safer. But when you have to sit down and compare all the good ideas people have developed against each other, with a limited budget, you have to make choices that are much harder.”

This is reality and there is nothing the Fed’s can do about it. Your finger pointing is mis-directed.

[quote]pookie wrote:
At one point, you have to decide one what compromise is acceptable to you between security and freedom. I prefer more freedom even if that means imperfect security.
[/quote]

Following the doctrine of preemptive strikes and worrying about reality later…

You pansy-assed liberal, you want the terrorists to win don’t you?

[quote]vroom wrote:
pookie wrote:

Following the doctrine of preemptive strikes and worrying about reality later…

You pansy-assed liberal, you want the terrorists to win don’t you?[/quote]

I think that’s too harsh.

[quote]pookie wrote:
What’s even worse, is that those who complain the most start no threads of their own.[/quote]

Well Ok, I won’t give Dickhunter shit for started stupid bullshit threads anymore because…well because I don’t start enough stupid bullshit threads of my own. Ok.

Not empty, that would be too boring. But devoid of bigoted racist bullshit threads started by a skinhead chickenhawk asshole would be OK too.

[quote]tme wrote:
pookie wrote:
What’s even worse, is that those who complain the most start no threads of their own.

Well Ok, I won’t give Dickhunter shit for started stupid bullshit threads anymore because…well because I don’t start enough stupid bullshit threads of my own. Ok.

I don’t understand what they want. A P&WI forum that’s completely empty?

Not empty, that would be too boring. But devoid of bigoted racist bullshit threads started by a skinhead chickenhawk asshole would be OK too.

[/quote]
Bigoted? Racist? I have not seen anything of the sort from headhunter. Your reading comprehension skills must suck.

[quote]tme wrote:
pookie wrote:
What’s even worse, is that those who complain the most start no threads of their own.

I don’t understand what they want. A P&WI forum that’s completely empty?

Not empty, that would be too boring. But devoid of bigoted racist bullshit threads started by a skinhead chickenhawk asshole would be OK too.[/quote]

A lot of those “bullshit” threads as you call them evolve into interesting discussions when various members decide to actually address the topic in a serious way.

Just ignore HH’s editorial comments and give your views on the content of the article.

Or, alternatively, start threads of your own. If everyone who takes time to complain about HH (or Steveo, or Hack, etc) took that time to find a piece of news that interests him and posted it for discussion, they’d at least take a step towards what they say the P&WI forum should be.

Using the same amount of time flaming HH simply adds to the problem.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Such competence!!

[/quote]

This is a relevant topic and it’s placed in the proper section under “Politics & World Issues.”

All who post on this thread only to attack Headhunter are basically displaying troll like behavior and need to get past the fact that they may disagree with Headhunter politically.

As to the topic, the feds have once again proven themselves incompetent. While I’m somewhat surprised based on the subject matter, I have to remember that we are dealing with the federal government and no amount of stupidity and waste is beneath them.

Headhunter’s a dick and a few of you need to get your noses out of his ass…

[quote]vroom wrote:
Headhunter’s a dick and a few of you need to get your noses out of his ass…[/quote]

That can be said about anyone who has strong opinions.

Stop labeling people and debate the topic at hand.

I already addressed the topic.

Another topic is that you don’t actually have to be a dick to have opinions.

P.S. I’ve been labeled as much as anyone around here… so you’ll have to excuse me if I return the favor.