Giving Nutrition Advice to Newbies

Have a guy at my gym who is kinda overweight… ssooooo he came and asked me for some help so i sorted him for a program.

Then i told him to come back to me yesterday and i handed him JB’s 7 rules of healthy eating so i wouldnt have to write it all down.

So then this afternoon he comes up to me, said he asked some coach (dunno who) and was told not to eat above or below his daily needs as he will to quote

So i was like wtf ?

How is a newbie possibly meant to know his proper calories a week into the gym and how does one fix the above 2 ?

When i started i just ate till the scale went up lol now this shit has turned all sciency :o

So i told him ill get back to him with answers so here i am :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I suggest anybody who is overweight and in need of help. To use http://www.fitday.com if he doesn’t know about it. It’s a great free tool that I think should be in anyones arsenal for achieving fat loss.

That coach is correct in a way, that yeah he has to eat healthy and stay at about maintenace calories while doing his cardo/weight lifting. To get fuel his metabolism just enough and to help with hormonal balance. Lots of protein and good fats:D. carbs only morning and around workouts. nothing new here.

[quote]300andabove wrote:
likely need to repair your metabolic rate and hormonal profile
[/quote]

Did he pay for this advice…?

I’m stumped as to what the guy even meant, tbh…

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
300andabove wrote:

I’m stumped as to what the guy even meant, tbh…[/quote]

It seems to me that he’s trying to say not to cut calories too deeply, as an extremely hypo-caloric diet will kill his metabolism…

He’s obviously not bulking, so he shouldn’t increase calories, but at the same time, to maintain proper output of important thyroid hormones (more specifically T3), and keep the LBM he already has, he shouldn’t slash cals to the bone…

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Well I suggest anybody who is overweight and in need of help. To use http://www.fitday.com if he doesn’t know about it. It’s a great free tool that I think should be in anyones arsenal for achieving fat loss.

That coach is correct in a way, that yeah he has to eat healthy and stay at about maintenace calories while doing his cardo/weight lifting. To get fuel his metabolism just enough and to help with hormonal balance. Lots of protein and good fats:D. carbs only morning and around workouts. nothing new here.[/quote]

Fitday is a really great program.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:
Jereth127 wrote:
300andabove wrote:

I’m stumped as to what the guy even meant, tbh…

It seems to me that he’s trying to say not to cut calories too deeply, as an extremely hypo-caloric diet will kill his metabolism…

He’s obviously not bulking, so he shouldn’t increase calories, but at the same time, to maintain proper output of important thyroid hormones (more specifically T3), and keep the LBM he already has, he shouldn’t slash cals to the bone…[/quote]

LOL a week before he came to me his nutrition was:

Breakfast: Bowl of Cereal and Milk

Lunch: Sandwich ham and cheese

Dinner: Pizza

And snacking on various soft drinks and chocolate during the day.

Somehow doubt he could slash his calories any more :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]300andabove wrote:

Somehow doubt he could slash his calories any more :P[/quote]

Really it does depend on portion size, the pizza as an example could be one of those tiny things or a 12 slice monster from dominoes.