Giving Deca to Your Dog

I got this from another board, and wanted to see what t-folk think.

This guy has a 16 year-old Great Dane/Lab mix. The dog has severe arthritis in his lower back and hips. The dog’s vet prescribed some medicine, but the dog owner doesn’t think it’s working very well.

The guy wants to put the dog on deca to help give the dog some relief since deca is known to ‘lube the joints’ in humans.

I think he’s nuts. I’m not a dog hater - I have three myself. But to give the dog steroids against the vet’s advice just seems nuts to me. Besides the damn dog is 16 years old - that’s like 112 to a human.

What would you do?

I would ask the vet about steroids for the dog. I had a old cat that the vet put on Winstrol and it made a big differnce in the animals quality of life. He should’nt hesitate to ask. They put old pets on 'roids all the time. But he should not do it himself.

Aww man rainjack, see this brings up an even bigger debate…

How much is too much to spend on your pet?

There was a discussion on a radio program here not too long ago about a family who spent thousands on a dog for some outrageous procedure to fix it’s back, and it wasn’t even guaranteed to even help the animal much less fix its malady.

So if you don’t mind the semi-hyjack I think it would be interesting to get a finger on the pulse of the T-Nation to see who has forked out a lot of cabbage in order to fix their pets.

A good friend of mine spent over $2500 on their Yellow Lab who swallowed a claw off of one of their kids toy dinosaurs.

Personnally, it would be a tough call depending on the malady… I shudder to think of anything drastic happening to my dog.

I’ve had 3 ridgebacks so far (I’m down to 1). The first two were brother and sister. The brother had terrible epilepsy and was on very high doses of phenobarbital and had to get blood work done all the time, then eventually had to be put to sleep. The female would constantly eat my fucking socks and get them stuck in her intestinal track and once had to get surgery that cost a few thousand. Plus she got cancer and the meds where expesive/she was put to sleep. THe one I’ve got now is from a previous owner and despite her being in my house for 2 years I still can’t pet her because she’s a schizo and very afraid of me despite my constant efforts to make her like me. BITCH! Just kidding I still love her…she’s my dog.

Winstrol for cats hey? I think my cat needs winstrol. How can I trick…I mean convince my vet into giving it to her?

Steroids are really hard on animals’ organs, so you really have to know what your’re doing, i.e. dosage, length, and where to inject. Otherwise, he may kill his pet quicker, and in agony.

Wobenzym makes an enzyme product for dogs called Fidozyme. Never used it myself but it certainly comes from a company with a proven track record.

This was posted on an AAS forum. I made some comments about the age of the dog, and how it’s a dog - not a human.

You would have thought from the outrage, that I was just caught clubbing baby seals.

Instead of trusting his vet, or even getting a second opinion, he decides that deca is his only option to ‘help’ fido out. I have no problems with better living through chemistry, but cripes, if your going to experiment, experiment on something that will give you feedback.

And he supposedly loves this dog…

I’ve got young male rottweiler And thought about giving him deca so he will stop trying to hump the neighbors dogs when they come in our yard .

How about starting with good old glucosamine/MSM?

Ya the wobenzyme thing would help if there was any inflammation (not typically a big part of osteoarthritis).

I had a chow for 15 years and he was hit by a car which caused severe spinal cord injury.

Tried everything - chiropactors, etc. etc. for nearly a year but nothing helped. My dog was hurting. Vet finally said that we could put him on steroids which might help or put him down.

I chose putting him down because of his age and obvious pain. Toughest day of my life. So vets do indeed perscribe steroids.

[quote]gonta wrote:
I had a chow for 15 years and he was hit by a car which caused severe spinal cord injury.

Tried everything - chiropactors, etc. etc. for nearly a year but nothing helped. My dog was hurting. Vet finally said that we could put him on steroids which might help or put him down.

I chose putting him down because of his age and obvious pain. Toughest day of my life. So vets do indeed perscribe steroids.[/quote]

In this case, the vet wasn’t prescribing the steroids. I know that they do/have used steroids in treatments, but the dog owner - who is evidently a juicer- thought that putting his dog on AAS would help it out.

I think you did the noble thing. It’s a hard choice to make - to say goodbye, or keep you dog around even if he’s in horrible pain.

Actually, arthritis is an inflammation, that’s why the word ends in “itis.”

[quote]Berner wrote:
How about starting with good old glucosamine/MSM?

Ya the wobenzyme thing would help if there was any inflammation (not typically a big part of osteoarthritis).[/quote]

Rainjack, are you just looking for more ways to attempt to kill poodles? Remember, it cannot be done.

~Terumo

Why in the hell would I waste perfectly good gear on a poodle? That’s just kooky talk

[quote]Wideguy wrote:
Winstrol for cats hey? I think my cat needs winstrol. How can I trick…I mean convince my vet into giving it to her?[/quote]

Jake (my cat) had chronic renal failure and was slowly losing his kidney function. The Winstrol (tablets) helped restore his appetite and his general activity level. And no, the vet did not give me enough for a human to even do a very short cycle. (Jake saw the vet about every three months.)

My sister in-law has german shepards that she shows and uses glucosamine/chondrointin on one which has a mild case of hip displasia. Apparently it works very well for dogs. Your friend should look into it.

I was under the impression that glucosamine was originally invented or marketed for animals rather than humans.

Gojira your sister has show dogs with displasia? First let me pass on my condolences, I know that must be a challenge for her. But why is she showing Shepards with obvious genetic faults? I didn’t know that you could do that. Aren’t they supposed to be cleared of all degenerative traits before they can be shown? Show dogs are supposed to be exemplerary representations of the breed, samples that would be good breedstock. Hip Displasia is a very unsavoury trait to have if she’s breeding her dogs and getting over by medicating them…

Again, I don’t know the whole story, and if it’s a minor, isolated case then I shouldn’t be so wrapped around the axle.