Giving Blood & Lifting

I gave blood today, I am wondering how this is going to affect my lifting. When I still played football, it made me light headed to the point of almost blacking out. But that was in the august heat. Now I’m just lifting. If anybody has any experiences with giving blood and then lifting let me know, i’ll post later after I work out.

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I gave blood today, I am wondering how this is going to affect my lifting. When I still played football, it made me light headed to the point of almost blacking out. But that was in the august heat. Now I’m just lifting. If anybody has any experiences with giving blood and then lifting let me know, i’ll post later after I work out.[/quote]

I would definitely avoid it for today. One day off is not going to derail your plans or your gains. In addition to being lightheaded, there is always a good chance that you could develop a pretty wicked bruise at the IV needle site which is not good times.

I donated blood and went lifting few hours after that. There were no problems.

I think Lonnie Lowery wrote once not to lift the day you give blood but after that is cool. It was in that T-Nation article about iron intake.

I was just gonna lift to see what it did to my performance, I didn’t do anything very hard. What I found was that on bench I had a 10% decrease in weight for my 5 rep max. I was planning on doing a few other lifts too, but I wasn’t feeling very well so I did a few dips and pullups and quit.

I regularly donate blood and I just make sure the workout gets done BEFORE the donation…hmmm, now that’s an interesting oncept, eh? :wink:

It wasn’t really an option to lift before hand. Plus I was kinda curious to see just what giving blood would do number wise to my lifting.