Giving 5/3/1 a Try

I have decided to give Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 programming a try and started the sample workout, “Triumvirate”, from the article he posted back in 7/7/09 “5/3/1 How to Build Pure Strength”. After reading that article as well as posts in the forums concerning the 5/3/1 programming I’ve decided that I need to re-evaluate my training as I felt like I have been suffering from the effects of overtraining and burnout recently and thinking that resetting and using Jim Wendler’s simplistic approach might help.

A little background about myself. I’ve trained on and off since I was 19, I am now 40.

I did Crossfit for about 1 year and a half up until about 8 months ago when I decided that I need to focus on building strength and size. Since then my cardio has gone to shit but I have gained some strength, although disproportionately. I have a tendency to overtrain due to being impatient which ends up causing burnout. I currently weigh 227#'s @ 5’11". I dont know what any of my measurements or body fat percentage but I will document that info within the next week.

This is my first log so please forgive any errors of my format and please feel free to provide any advice.

This is a 4 week program.3 or 4 days a week. I will be working the program 3 days a week(Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) doing conditioning on Monday’s and Thursdays or Thursdays and Saturdays. I had to break up the sets for the Chin ups and Hanging leg raises between tuesday and wednesday due to time constraints.

My main goal is to build strength, size and at the same time maintain a decent amount of cardiovascular conditioning. If I lose some body fat, great.

Week 1

Tuesday 10/28/14

Standing Shoulder Press 3x5 65, 75, 85%
120, 135, 155

Deadlift 3x5 65, 75, 85%
250, 290, 330

Dip (assisted w/ 40#'s) 5x15

Chin-up (assisted w/40#'s) 3x10

Hanging Leg Raises 3x10

Wednesday 10/29/14

Bench Press 3x5 65, 75, 85%
185, 210, 240

Dumbbell Chest Press 5x15
Used 55#'s for all 5 sets

Dumbbell Rows 5x10
Used 75#'s for 5 sets

Good Mornings 5x12
95#'s, 85, 85, 85, 85
I havent done this exercise in a long time, especially this many reps. It definitely showed a deficiency in my posterior chain. I actually thing the key to this routine is the accessory exercises. I have been so focused on low reps with lots of rep in the past that my conditioning suffered.

Chin up 2x10 (assisted with 40#'s)

Hanging Leg Raises 2x10

Thursday (conditioning)

I performed a crossfit style met-con

Warmed up with 10 minutes of jump rope alternating between singles and doubles.

4 rounds for time of:
9 kettlebell swings w/ 50# KB
21 Box jumps w/24" box
36 hammerstrikes w/ 16# sledgehammer

Time:14:36

I’m going to adjust the time I spend on my conditioning based on how much I feel my body can take during the course of this programming.

Thursday 11/13/14 - Conditioning

It was about 39 degrees outside today which is cold for southern Mississippi and I was really not wanting to go outside for any reason but I talked myself into it.

I warmed up with about 10 minutes of jump rope including single and double unders.

Ran 5 - 100 yard sprints. I havent done sprints in a while and they wiped me out.

I finished up with 5 minutes of air squats to loosen up the legs after the sprints.