Give Up Squats and Deadlifts?

I had knee injuries and surgeries in my youth and now at 52 I have found that a set of high repetition (15-20 reps) of leg extensions and leg curls before squating helps to greatly relieve any knee pain (along with lots of stretching, before, after and between sets).

I also squat ATG with lighter weights and higher reps (12 reps) now. I am convinced that using maximum range of motion will benefit me as I age by increasing, or at least maintaining, flexibility, balance, strength, endurance and core strength.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
When’s the last time you have taken a break? and do you do any running?

If you can recover the knee any you might be able to continue lifting. But you can’t just continue to lift through pain if you have it. Also do you use ice at all?

The knee hasn’t been perfected for everybody so you will have to try and test many things. But I have to tell you stay away from the adductor/abductor machines for a while.

Stop squatting and deadlifting for a week. Try if you can to stop using naproxen also. See how you feel at the end of 1-2 weeks. If the pain goes away then you are fortunate, and you know its how you are training that is hurting your knee and not some other underlying condition such as foot position when you walk, or pre-arthritis setting in.

Also what kind of diet are you eating? Alot of fruits and vegatables, sugars? meats?[/quote]

I actually just came back from a three week vacation during which I did no exercise except ordinary walking. I stopped running twenty-eight years ago. My knees are no better than before; it is not the squatting and deadlifting which is hurting them; it is arthritis which is clearly visible with X-rays and arthroscopy.

I tried stopping the Naproxen and the knees hurt more. Icing helps a little for a short time.

I eat red meat once a week, fish twice a week, whole grain pasta or beans the other days. I have a turkey breast sandwich and salad for lunch. Lots of vegetables and fruits. The only sugar is one mint patty a day.

[quote]dswithers wrote:
I had knee injuries and surgeries in my youth and now at 52 I have found that a set of high repetition (15-20 reps) of leg extensions and leg curls before squating helps to greatly relieve any knee pain (along with lots of stretching, before, after and between sets).

I also squat ATG with lighter weights and higher reps (12 reps) now. I am convinced that using maximum range of motion will benefit me as I age by increasing, or at least maintaining, flexibility, balance, strength, endurance and core strength.[/quote]

I should clarify that I do not experience knee pain while squatting. The knees hurt the rest of the time, while walking, sometimes while lying or sitting. I am absolutely unable to squat ATG even with only body weight. It’s not that I lack the flexibility; it’s that I can’t tolerate the pain it causes. I used to do leg curls, but switched to deadlifting because I think it’s more beneficial.

This stuff…

was mostly being looked at for prostate cancer, but if it is a cox 1 & 2 inhibitor then wouldn’t it have some effect on arthritis? I dunno, it’s up to you to figure it out I guess!

I would check out Joe DeFranco’s website, www.defrancostraining.com, contact Joe and talk to him about his father, who is also in his 60’s, and in amazing shape. I know due to a number of injuries, he follows more of a BBing type program these days, but that hasn’t slowed him down much.

Like everyone else, I have alot of admiration for you continuing your quest for improvement in your 60’s and into your 70’s and beyond. Take care.
-Greg

[quote]novagreg wrote:
I would check out Joe DeFranco’s website, www.defrancostraining.com, contact Joe and talk to him about his father, who is also in his 60’s, and in amazing shape. I know due to a number of injuries, he follows more of a BBing type program these days, but that hasn’t slowed him down much.

Like everyone else, I have alot of admiration for you continuing your quest for improvement in your 60’s and into your 70’s and beyond. Take care.
-Greg[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I have just spent a number of hours reading through De Franco’s web site and have already picked up some valuable information from it. I also did send him a question.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
This stuff…

was mostly being looked at for prostate cancer, but if it is a cox 1 & 2 inhibitor then wouldn’t it have some effect on arthritis? I dunno, it’s up to you to figure it out I guess![/quote]

I already take some herbal anti-inflammatory products like ginger, boswellia, and curcumin. Unfortunately, they do not yield as much pain relief as Naproxen. However, Zyflamend, the product you mention, has a few other ingredients that seem to warrant a try. Thanks for the lead.