Give the Cable Leg Curl a Try

Try using a low cable with a strap around the ankle and doing ONE LEG CURLS… yes we all have heard about how leg extensions and leg curls are pretty much useless… and I thought so as well for years… but the way I do them now, my hams have grown and so have my quads just by using these exercises by themself. Sometimes I use these exercises in pre exhaust fashion before using compound movements. The key is to pick a weight you can do 15-20 reps with and rest only 15-20 sec between sets. When doing one leg at a time like the cable leg curl, go from one leg to the other, no rest…do high volume…lots of sets …go by feel… the hams and quads are huge muscles and when you totally fatigue them, you will know…and these exercises done this way will absolutely do so contrary to popular opinion. Don t knock it until you have given it a legit try…and I swear then you will know the truth and stop believing every new thing that comes around the corner … I actually stopped doing compound movements for a few months and am very impressed with the results I am getting from isolation only movements done as I describe above.

Idk what you’ve been reading…but the popular opinion around here is that leg curls are anything BUT useless. One of the most respected authors on here, John Meadows has convinced alot of his readers to actually do hamstring curls first in any leg workout before squats. I’ve recently changed to this approach and been very happy with how my squats feel after and have more DOMs in my hamstrings the days after leg workouts than I ever did before.

As far as leg extensions, I think these vary from person to person. My knees cannot handle them on a regular basis.

[quote]rocket man 400 wrote:
yes we all have heard about how leg extensions and leg curls are pretty much useless… [/quote]

I hadn’t heard -lol. In fact, for a guy with a very serious lower back injury, I kinda like 'em.
While I don’t think anyone has built Tom Platz legs with these two movements alone, when used correctly, in accordance with other movements (giving some attention given to sequencing and performance), you can do pretty damn well for yourself.

S

Welcome to the bodybuilding forum.

You can build up your legs to fucking awesome size without compound movements.
You can build big quads without touching a barbell, dumbbell, leg extension machine or leg press.
It just happens so that the aforementioned tools make building leg muscle simple.

In the end, it comes down to what tools you have at your disposal and which of those fit you best.

so describe me how you set up for this cable leg curl? standing and facing the low pulley or lying prone on bench faacing away from low pulley? sounds like it can build great ham detail.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

yes we all have heard about how leg extensions and leg curls are pretty much useless… [/quote]

I hadn’t heard -lol. In fact, for a guy with a very serious lower back injury, I kinda like 'em.
While I don’t think anyone has built Tom Platz legs with these two movements alone, when used correctly, in accordance with other movements (giving some attention given to sequencing and performance), you can do pretty damn well for yourself.

S[/quote]

Except, maybe that IS how tom platz got his quads!

Haha. But half serious.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

Except, maybe that IS how tom platz got his quads!

Haha. But half serious. [/quote]

I don’t even know what to make of those.

This is for Myosaurus… do the cable leg curls standing and facing the low pulley. Try pulling back as you curl the weight upward and you get a better contraction by using the glutes more!

I do these on and off every few workout cycles. I lay face down a flat bench with the cable at the bottom if it’s an adjustable station. A different kind of feel with the cable pulling down on the leg at then bottom position. Same thing at the top, trying to kick your butt with your heel.

This is for Myosaurus… do the cable leg curls standing and facing the low pulley. Try pulling back as you curl the weight upward and you get a better contraction by using the glutes more![/quote]

thank you. i did try them yrs ago and yes they did provide wicked peak contraction.