Give Me a Back Routine I Don't Hate

Every routine I’ve been doing for back, since I started 2.5 years ago, I’ve hated. This makes me skip back a lot. I want some thing quick with super sets that’s going to wreck it. Thanks!

Do it in between your pressing - that’s how I’ve always done it. It will take about 4-6 weeks to adjust at which point you’ll find it will help your pressing (that may motivate you)

1 Like

Why do you hate training back? IMO enjoyment doesn’t come into it, really. Either you want a bigger, stronger back and do the work to get it or you don’t.

Now, I love training back because I want a freaky AF back, but I want to do it efficiently too. This is what I do:

• pull-ups between deadlift warm-ups
  • facepulls between squat warm-ups
  • pull aparts between bench warm-ups
  • BB rows one bench day, followed by lat pull-downs
  • DB rows one bench day, followed by lat pull-downs

That’s four days of back training in a week, without any dedicated back day.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more! It’s as if people expect this self improvement journey to be chock full of motivational montages and gold at the end of every training rainbow.

It’s not easy. It’s not quick. If you don’t like those facts than find another hobby!

2 Likes

1 Dead lifts.

then all the pull ups, barbell and dumbbell rowing with as many grips as you can.

Do them until you get an endorphin rush a few times then you’ll wonder what you didn’t like.

3 Likes

Back (or pull, really) is my favourite workout.

Chest is a tightrope of potential shoulder injury; legs a tightrope of potential lower back problems.

Pull workouts are the mutt’s nuts because I’ve never ever injured myself doing one.

4 Likes

Try to remember one thing for your motivation: people often ask me for help because of my thick chest and shoulders, but it’s my back and legs that usually do most of the work helping them.

Back can cover for everything.

Deadlift? Who needs legs, just set hips really high

Squat? Just get to the bottom and good morning the weight up

Bench? Be so thick that it shortens your range of motion

Carrying things? Back keeps you from turning you into an accordion

You should want to train back because it’s cool. However, I’ll humor you with a split

In terms of “back routine”,

3 back day focuses: strength, hypertrophy, and combo

Strength:

Hang cleans
4-8 sets of 1-5 reps

RDL, focus on tucking the lats into your back pockets
3-5 sets of 6-12 reps

45 degree back raise rows, do a back raise, hold, do a row. Repeat
2-6 sets of 6-30 reps

Hypertrophy

Lat pulldown, 3 count eccentric, 3 count pause at contraction
4-6 sets of 8-20 reps

DB Row, first half of the set pause each rep on the ground and at contraction, second hall row piston-like
3-6 sets of 12-30 reps

Cable straight arm pushdown SS/ facepulls, pause each at contraction
3-5 sets of 15-30 reps

Combo

Chins/pullups, add weight if possible. Pause first rep at contraction for a 5 count, proceed the rest of the reps as normal
4-8 sets of 5-12 reps

BB row SS/ chin up hold. For the hold, go to top of chin, do a hold until you are close to but not quite failing
4-6 sets of 5-10 rows, hold between each set of row

DB pull over. Let the DB stretch lats for a 3 count between each rep
3-5 sets of 10-20 reps

2 Likes

You just have to train it. There’s no way around it. At some point in your training you’ll feel obliged to train your back because you’ll look like shit if you don’t.

1 Like

Long before I ever messed up my back I used to have 2 back routines.

1:

Power-cleans 5 x 3
Deadlifts 5 x 3-5
Pull-ups 4 x 1-2 reps shy of failure
Row variation 4 x 1-2 reps shy of failure

2:

Lat pull-downs 4 x 15
Row variation 4 x 15
Pull-overs 4 x 15
KB swings 5 x10

1 Like

Oh Pullovers, how I miss you…

Pull Ups
Rows
Accessory compound lift (vertical or horizontal who cares?)
Rear Delt exercise
Biceps if you’re feeling frisky

Bam. Back’s done.

1 Like