T Nation

Giuliani 2008?

Great republican “stratigery” to counter “Billary”???

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who was hailed as a hero for his response to the September 11 attacks, has taken a step toward entering the 2008 presidential race, U.S. media reported on Monday.

Giuliani, a Republican, has filed papers to form an exploration committee for a run to succeed President George W. Bush in the White House, the reports said.

Giuliani’s spokeswoman, Sunny Mindel, had no comment.

The former mayor joins a long list of potential candidates in each party who are expected to begin vying for the White House over the next few months.

Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa became the first Democrat to formally jump into the race on Thursday, while Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, chairman of the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee, kicked things off for Republicans last month.

There have been no decisions yet from the presumed front-runners, Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

“I am going to sit down with my family over the holidays and make that decision,” McCain, who unsuccessfully ran for president in 2000, said on Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Another possible 2008 presidential contender, Democratic Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, said on ABC’s “This Week” that he was still planning on running, but was unsure when he would take the next steps.

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, a potential campaign-trail star, also is pondering a run, as is Mitt Romney, the outgoing Republican governor of Massachusetts.

? Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

[quote]jlesk68 wrote:
Great republican “stratigery” to counter “Billary”???

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who was hailed as a hero for his response to the September 11 attacks, has taken a step toward entering the 2008 presidential race, U.S. media reported on Monday.

Giuliani, a Republican, has filed papers to form an exploration committee for a run to succeed President George W. Bush in the White House, the reports said.

Giuliani’s spokeswoman, Sunny Mindel, had no comment.

The former mayor joins a long list of potential candidates in each party who are expected to begin vying for the White House over the next few months.

Gov. Tom Vilsack of Iowa became the first Democrat to formally jump into the race on Thursday, while Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, chairman of the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee, kicked things off for Republicans last month.

There have been no decisions yet from the presumed front-runners, Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York and Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

“I am going to sit down with my family over the holidays and make that decision,” McCain, who unsuccessfully ran for president in 2000, said on Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Another possible 2008 presidential contender, Democratic Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, said on ABC’s “This Week” that he was still planning on running, but was unsure when he would take the next steps.

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, a potential campaign-trail star, also is pondering a run, as is Mitt Romney, the outgoing Republican governor of Massachusetts.

? Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.[/quote]

I doubt he will run

He’s definelty not the usually Republican candidate.

He’s not a neo-con in any sense, and will alienate the so-called “base”.

Maybe, but I doubt he’d run.

What are this guy’s qualifications again?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
He’s definelty not the usually Republican candidate.

He’s not a neo-con in any sense, and will alienate the so-called “base”.

Maybe, but I doubt he’d run.[/quote]

He might be a viable third party candidate, depending on who the gets the Republican nomination. He’s got support from Democrats and Independents. If the Dems and Reps put out candidates like they did in 2004, a third-party candidate with Guiliani’s credentials might be able to get some traction. If the Dem candidate is stronger in '08, then that strategy would probably just split the Republican voters and guarantee a Dem victory.

Israeli panel: Giuliani is ‘best’ presidential candidate for Israel
Haaretz
05/09/2006
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani is the “best” candidate in the 2008 race for Israel, a panel of eight Israeli experts assembled by Haaretz has determined…

The panel also concluded that the chances of any of the candidates ordering future military action in Iran were not very high. Giuliani scored highest on this question, followed by Gingrich and McCain…
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/759119.html

Giuliani is pro-gun control, pro-choice on abortion, and he’s for equal rights for gays. So he’ll never get past the Republican primaries.

He’s also definitely running.

[quote]JustTheFacts wrote:
Haaretz
05/09/2006
Former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani is the “best” candidate in the 2008 race for Israel, a panel of eight Israeli experts assembled by Haaretz has determined…

The panel also concluded that the chances of any of the candidates ordering future military action in Iran were not very high. Giuliani scored highest on this question, followed by Gingrich and McCain…
[/quote]

And?

[quote]doogie wrote:
JustTheFacts wrote:
Haaretz
05/09/2006

And?[/quote]

AND, it seems funny to put so much effort into something they have no say in – unless they do…

As part of a new project, The Israel Factor: Ranking the presidential candidates" the panel will rank the candidates every month, up until the 2008 election, awarding them marks out of 10 on a series of questions that will determine which candidates are “best” for Israel.
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/rosnerPage.jhtml

Of course Giuliani tops the list of “Best US President for Israel” based on the criteria – “most likely to bomb Iran”.

In other words, the best thing for Israel would be for the US to start another war – and why not, look how GREAT Iraq turned out – for ISRAEL.

Olmert Hugs Bush, Praises Iraq War
Nov 17, 2006
Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert raised eyebrows this week when he praised America’s war in Iraq as a “great operation” that brought stability to the Middle East…

“We are very much impressed and encouraged by the stability which the great operation of America in Iraq brought to the Middle East,” Olmert said as he sat next to Bush in the Oval Office…

I’ll bet he thinks everyone is fooled by his comb-over too.

And there were positive statements from Islamic radicals, concerning the take over of congress by the Democrats. Does that mean there’s an Islamist conspiracy involving Pelosi?

You act as if it’s rare that foriegn leaders might favor certain political individuals. It’s not. What is with you and Israel? You see everything in a vacuum. What you percieve as suspicious behavior, is rather typical and widespread.

Have you not heard Europeans and their condemnation, or approval, of a number of our own leaders? Again, what’s with this tunnel vision you have for Israel?

If I were a democratic Presidential hopeful I would be drooling at the possibility of facing Giuliani. The guy has ZERO chance of becoming President. Now vice pres. that’s another matttr.

Right man, wrong party.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
And there were positive statements from Islamic radicals, concerning the take over of congress by the Democrats. Does that mean there’s an Islamist conspiracy involving Pelosi?
[/quote]

Wait, didn’t some of you right wingers suggest that very idea, exactly? I recall a few posts suggesting that terrorists wanted Democrats to win, therefore better vote for the GOP.

[quote]Brad61 wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Wait, didn’t some of you right wingers suggest that very idea, exactly? I recall a few posts suggesting that terrorists wanted Democrats to win, therefore better vote for the GOP. [/quote]

Yet, it doesn’t equal a conspiracy.