Gitmo? What About Bagram?

[quote]John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Ah, due process, habeas corpus, where hast thou gone?

Maybe we should profile Americans and arrest those indefinitely who might have criminal tendencies?

You might have to replace half of Congress, but it is for the safety of the fucking children.

Other than the feelings of superiority that you might get by criticising another country, why the great “concern” for what goes on in the US?

Ever notice how in the Gym people always attack the big guy behind his back or on the computer? Its kinda like that its just jealousy.[/quote]

No, I never did.

I take your word that they do it behind my back.

Pussies.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Maybe we should profile Americans and arrest those indefinitely who might have criminal tendencies?

You might have to replace half of Congress, but it is for the safety of the fucking children.

Other than the feelings of superiority that you might get by criticising another country, why the great “concern” for what goes on in the US?

Ever notice how in the Gym people always attack the big guy behind his back or on the computer? Its kinda like that its just jealousy.[/quote]

I was bit by an American when I was a child and it has traumatized me immensely.

[quote]orion wrote:
John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Ever notice how in the Gym people always attack the big guy behind his back or on the computer? Its kinda like that its just jealousy.

I was bit by an American when I was a child and it has traumatized me immensely.

[/quote]

Crap, you were the little Austrian kid I let get away. My fat lazy American family was less fat/lazy that night because we didn’t get to feast on the flesh of smaller countries.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Wow, that’s a good one. Really funny.

Now would you please answer my question?[/quote]

It is very interesting to see a whole nation struggle for her soul.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
So Obama is to close Gitmo. Well, ok. But, what about Bagram? Will he just shuffle around detainees, so he can say “I closed Gitmo” without really changing much of anything? Or, is he going to bring them all here and run them through our courts? We shall see.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090106/us_time/08599186951900

[/quote]

Yes. He will just re-arrange locations.

Obama is most likely being briefed on intelligence matters out of left field for him.

There is probably a bomb, some weird alliance or some other issue that could potentially have us over a barrel if not handled appropriately.

Obama will carry the status quo out of the necessity that established it.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

… [/quote]

And I say, Long live the struggle…232 years and still going strong!

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
John S. wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Wow, that’s a good one. Really funny.

Now would you please answer my question?

That might explain an “interest” (were your assumption true), but not your constant criticizing. Why does it matter to you so much if the US has these problems? Please quit obfuscating and answer honestly.

Also, your own country was, only 60-some years ago, involved in unbelievably heinous acts; a new standard for evil, some might say. Surely that subsequently resulted in “a whole nation struggling for her soul,” which can hardly have ended so quickly. Yet you show no “interest” in THAT struggle. Why? [/quote]

I don´t?

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

That might explain an “interest” (were your assumption true), but not your constant criticizing. Why does it matter to you so much if the US has these problems? Please quit obfuscating and answer honestly.

Also, your own country was, only 60-some years ago, involved in unbelievably heinous acts; a new standard for evil, some might say. Surely that subsequently resulted in “a whole nation struggling for her soul,” which can hardly have ended so quickly. Yet you show no “interest” in THAT struggle. Why?

I don´t?

Yeah, ok. Enough already. I’m not going to play games with you. You refuse to answer the primary question that I ask, and would rather try and be “cute” with smart-ass answers. That tells me all I need to know.

[/quote]

I am not refusing to answer anything, your questions are so loaded with assumptions that I do not know what to make of them.

Godwin was right.

And I’m afraid, Murphy too.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

Also, your own country was, only 60-some years ago, involved in unbelievably heinous acts; a new standard for evil, some might say. Surely that subsequently resulted in “a whole nation struggling for her soul,” which can hardly have ended so quickly. Yet you show no “interest” in THAT struggle. Why?

I don´t?

Yeah, ok. Enough already. I’m not going to play games with you. You refuse to answer the primary question that I ask, and would rather try and be “cute” with smart-ass answers. That tells me all I need to know.

I am not refusing to answer anything, your questions are so loaded with assumptions that I do not know what to make of them.

Then you’re dumber than I thought.

It’s a straightforward question, really: Why the great “concern” for what goes on in the US?

Of course, you’ve danced around it so long now that MY question is seen out of context.

It’s a very nice front you put up, but in the end you’re an intellectual & emotional coward.

But don’t let that stop The Great Orion; carry on!

[/quote]

Concern is probably the wrong word, interest would be better.

The answer is that it is a great opportunity to watch certain ideas in action and I think that I see a lot of things clearer from a distance that I would not necessarily see in my own environment.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

It’s a straightforward question, really: Why the great “concern” for what goes on in the US?

Of course, you’ve danced around it so long now that MY question is seen out of context.

It’s a very nice front you put up, but in the end you’re an intellectual & emotional coward.

The answer is that it is a great opportunity to watch certain ideas in action and I think that I see a lot of things clearer from a distance that I would not necessarily see in my own environment.

That’s a start, I guess.

But there’s a very palpable difference between the kind of neutral, intellectual “interest” you describe above and the clearly critical and (without exception) negative bitching that you do about domestic US affairs.

I’m trying to understand why you would care (yes, you demonstrate an EMOTIONAL investment, not just an intellectual one) so much about what happens inside the US.

Why would you care? [/quote]

Ah, then you would have to look at whom my anger is directed.

It is almost always against your government or any of its branches, including the military, abusing its powers.

I think that comes naturally for a libertarian, or maybe it is the other way around, I am a libertarian because that comes naturally to me.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
orion wrote:

That’s a start, I guess.

But there’s a very palpable difference between the kind of neutral, intellectual “interest” you describe above and the clearly critical and (without exception) negative bitching that you do about domestic US affairs.

I’m trying to understand why you would care (yes, you demonstrate an EMOTIONAL investment, not just an intellectual one) so much about what happens inside the US.

Why would you care?

Ah, then you would have to look at whom my anger is directed.

It is almost always against your government or any of its branches, including the military, abusing its powers.

I think that comes naturally for a libertarian, or maybe it is the other way around, I am a libertarian because that comes naturally to me.

Progress.

But, to clarify: Your perception of “abuse of powers,” even when said alledged abuse is against Americans (only), makes you angry? (Remember, I’m asking about your bitching about DOMESTIC issues.)[/quote]

Yup that makes me angry.

I also saw a German tv magazine yesterday where the German tax authorities first ruined three entrepreneurs and, even though the highest court in these cases has ordered them in no uncertain terms to pay them back their fucking money, are STILL dragging their feet and trying to delay the process with procedural tricks.

All that in a time where the German government is pumping billions into the economy.

That makes me angry too.