Git 'R' Done - MR Prime Time 9/27 and 9/29

Thanks. Just tried a few reps in the basement and I think I have it figured out.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Yes, you should really focus on retracting/depressing the scapula throughout the movement. This is the best way to get a “base” from which to press from. Without it, not only are your shoulders at increased risk, but you can’t move nearly as much weight.

Yes, the PL style uses considerably more triceps.

Stay strong
MR

CHF wrote:
I’m trying to change my bench press style to more of a PL style and am attempting to follow your advice from your previous benching article. I am struggling with the idea of scapular retraction. Once I am set on the bench and have my scapula retracted and depressed, do I hold that position or does the scapula open up as I press the weight? Does the PL style involve more triceps??

[/quote]

No problem bro; let me know how it works out for ya!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]CHF wrote:
Thanks. Just tried a few reps in the basement and I think I have it figured out.
[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Check your e-mail if you can and maybe you could answer on here or in e-mail and check it out.

-Get Lifted

As far as lifting is concerned, is there a progression or periodization one should follow while cutting fat, or should we just repeat a basic, low-volume template that minimizes mass/strength loss until we’re done cutting?

Hi Mike,
I have a question for you. It appears to me that my femurs may be internally rotated. How would I go about correcting/confirming this? I have very weak arches (and wear shoes with support), which I believe causes my knees to collapse inward towards each other. During squats, if I plant my feet solidly and attempt to force my legs to rotate outward the motion feels much more stable.

As a follow up question, my calves are incredibly tight yet I rarely do any direct calf work in the gym. Could this be the cause?

Thanks

GL,

(For everyone who wants to know, GL is combining a split of the NNM series and Designer Athletes)

First off (and I’m saying this from my heart here!), that program will be damn tough to complete in-season. Off-season? Possibly. The biggest issue I have is that when most people look at the DA template, they want to add in the MAXIMUM number of sets of each lift. Take at least one set off of all these (and maybe two), and you’ll be a lot better off.

Next, if you want to improve your forty time, the weight room will help, but you also need to focus on starting sprint work. A good forward lean here is a must. A strong P-chain can be developed in the gym, but don’t overdo it your first month in. It takes time to build up to this level, but it will come.

There’s a lot of info here, but let me know what you think.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Hi Mike,

Check your e-mail if you can and maybe you could answer on here or in e-mail and check it out.

-Get Lifted[/quote]

hey. im a discus thrower and am wondering what are some core exersises you would consider very helpfull to throw far. thanks

I like this template the best, and people tend to respond the best to it as well. Why destroy your body in the gym with a tons of sets and reps when you are already depleted/hypo-caloric?

At the very least you can always rotate your exercises and such, but I wouldn’t go with much high-volume work until you are done cutting (you could do it for a week or so, but that would be it).

Stay strong
MR

[quote]leon79 wrote:
As far as lifting is concerned, is there a progression or periodization one should follow while cutting fat, or should we just repeat a basic, low-volume template that minimizes mass/strength loss until we’re done cutting?[/quote]

Sounds like you have a lot of the classical postural distortions EC and I discuss in our “Neanderthal No More” series. Read parts 1-3 and let me know if you have any more questions!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
Hi Mike,
I have a question for you. It appears to me that my femurs may be internally rotated. How would I go about correcting/confirming this? I have very weak arches (and wear shoes with support), which I believe causes my knees to collapse inward towards each other. During squats, if I plant my feet solidly and attempt to force my legs to rotate outward the motion feels much more stable.

As a follow up question, my calves are incredibly tight yet I rarely do any direct calf work in the gym. Could this be the cause?

Thanks[/quote]

Squats, deadlifts, snatches, clean and jerks, etc. Basically all the big lifts that strengthen the entire body will get you where you want to be.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]nikboa wrote:
hey. im a discus thrower and am wondering what are some core exersises you would consider very helpfull to throw far. thanks [/quote]

Ok all, I’m out for the night. Any leftover questions I’ll answer Thursday (or sooner, if you’re lucky!)

Stay strong
MR

Hey Mike;

Two weeks ago, I hypextended my elbow hitting a heavy bag - I caught a sink hole and the bag pulled my arm to full extension before I could start a proper snapping motion.

Last week, after I had done a week’s worth of ice/heat, massage, stretching, and rest, I was lifting. I did every lift involving my elbow with ease. Then, I’m doing triceps pressdowns with a V-Bar. All of a sudden, I get a “balling” sensation in the triceps of the hypextended arm (interior side, about a solid inch back from the elbow joint) as well as some immediate soreness in the brachioradialis and the muscle/tendon following from the knot in my triceps.

So, since last Monday, I’ve been doing light stretching of the arm (letting it lay out fully extended), as well as ice and heat, massage, and hypnosis. One thing I notice is extreme stiffness on the biceps side of the elbow if I let my arm lay out for 10 or so minutes (this occurs in the dead center of the elbow).

I’ve elected to take a few weeks off from lifting and karate, and will focus on therapy stuffs.

My questions:

what does it sound like I did, aside from something stupid?

what’s going to be the best way to get this recovered?

Thanks for the assist. It’s nice to be at home during a Prime Time.

Let me edit some things and see what I’ve got. Well, from a 4.42 hand time to a 4.2 hand time which would probably equate to 4.3 acu-track laser.

I can do both if I take lots of naps and take care of nutrition and supplements and get good sleep. (going to need discipline with the sleep)

Need to figure something out though. Whether it be this or something else.

-Get Lifted

Hey coach,

I did as you suggested and saw an ART Chiro. She determined I have tight and strained sartorius and piriformis on the right side more than the left. The right hip is rotated slightly and she adjusted that and ARTed my ass! and piriformis too. The whole thing is caused from a left over injury and too much squatting to soon.

How do you recommend I come back from this? I was thinking of letting the ART do its thing for a while, then add single leg exercises with deadlifts as my strength movement, finally add squats back into the mix much like a beginner again. i.e. go light for volume for a while before increasing intensity.

My number one concern is squats. The first time I ever deadlifted I pulled 2.5 x body weight. The first ever squat was less than body weight. After a few years I still need some wheels! The squat is moving, but still behind.

Thanks again,
Rolo.

Arioch,

First off, glad I could help. Second, glad you took my advice!

Stretching isn’t the sexiest part of training, but it will keep you healthy and training for a lot longer than if you don’t do it. Keep up the good work!

Stay strong
MR

[/quote]

Mike, I normally stretch but most likely not as frequently as I should. When you pointed it out to me, I paid more attention to what I was doing and that is when I noticed that I had some tightness I didn’t have before. I think it came from favoring my knee.

Now I stretch my achilles and hip flexors all the time and it is helping a lot.

Sometimes, we need a reminder of what we should do.

Thanks again.

Bump 4 2night…

Tough to say exactly what you did, especially b/c it seems as though you’ve described pain in two different areas (triceps and brachioradialis). I would think that with hyperextension of the elbow you’d be suffering from a strain of the biceps/brachialis, but who knows exactly. Have you had someone check you out?

Now, first off, I would STAY OFF THE HEAT! If things are inflammed, this will only make things worse. As well, any kind of rigorous stretching of said muscles will delay healing as well; this is one of the few times I would lay off. If nothing else I would focus on ART/massage of the area and maybe very light biceps/triceps work to get blood flow into the area AFTER swelling and inflammation have subsided. From that point, gently ease back into your normal routine, starting off light.

This would be a good jumping off point; try it out and keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Vash wrote:

My questions:

what does it sound like I did, aside from something stupid?

what’s going to be the best way to get this recovered?

Thanks for the assist. It’s nice to be at home during a Prime Time.[/quote]

Yes, the sartorius can be a tough one to diagnose…glad I could help a little on this one!

Now, for coming back single-leg stuff is great, but if you are going to squat, you need to re-train the movement with the muscles at the proper length/tension. You can start very light (just the bar) and try to re-groove the new motor pattern; it will probably feel funky at first, but it will be well worth it.

As things start to feel better, progressively add weight, just don’t go back to 3x/week with heavy weights. Walk before you run and you should be fine.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
Hey coach,

I did as you suggested and saw an ART Chiro. She determined I have tight and strained sartorius and piriformis on the right side more than the left. The right hip is rotated slightly and she adjusted that and ARTed my ass! and piriformis too. The whole thing is caused from a left over injury and too much squatting to soon.

How do you recommend I come back from this? I was thinking of letting the ART do its thing for a while, then add single leg exercises with deadlifts as my strength movement, finally add squats back into the mix much like a beginner again. i.e. go light for volume for a while before increasing intensity.

My number one concern is squats. The first time I ever deadlifted I pulled 2.5 x body weight. The first ever squat was less than body weight. After a few years I still need some wheels! The squat is moving, but still behind.

Thanks again,
Rolo.[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I’ve had a doctor take a look , and he figures the biceps was strained when I hit the bag. The knot in my triceps he thinks is from overcompensation coupled with overtraining.

Tough to say exactly what you did, especially b/c it seems as though you’ve described pain in two different areas (triceps and brachioradialis). I would think that with hyperextension of the elbow you’d be suffering from a strain of the biceps/brachialis, but who knows exactly. Have you had someone check you out?

Now, first off, I would STAY OFF THE HEAT! If things are inflammed, this will only make things worse. As well, any kind of rigorous stretching of said muscles will delay healing as well; this is one of the few times I would lay off. If nothing else I would focus on ART/massage of the area and maybe very light biceps/triceps work to get blood flow into the area AFTER swelling and inflammation have subsided. From that point, gently ease back into your normal routine, starting off light.

This would be a good jumping off point; try it out and keep us posted on how things are coming along.

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

Bump 4 questions…I’m on 'til 9 EST!