T Nation

Gironda Dips

tried gironda dips at the gym today (ive been on a gironda kick for a bit now, huge fan of bench press to neck and the hack slide). pretty sweet. had a few questions though.

are the gironda dips still effective if:

1. you use a normal grip instead of the reverse grip (reverse grip was fuckin PAINFUL)
  2. the dip bars arent 33" apart (the dip bars at my gym are pretty wide but i dont think they are THAT wide)

another idea i had was to set the safeties in the power rack really high and dip on those considering those are pretty far apart, would that work? any ideas?

[quote]actionboy wrote:
are the gironda dips still effective if:

1. you use a normal grip instead of the reverse grip (reverse grip was fuckin PAINFUL)[/quote]
    That’s fine. I’m not sure where he first suggested the reverse-grip (fingers pointing in), but in The Wild Physique, he describes “wide parallel bar dips” with a standard grip.

He’s also explained the importance of keeping the elbows wide out from the body, which the reverse grip can be make a bit easier (though it does require wrist and shoulder flexibility). And another key to focus the stress on the chest is to really round your body, particularly your upper back.

That seems to be a key part of a lot of Gironda’s unique exercises. Unconventional and awkward, but meant to attack the target muscle in a more direct way.

[quote]2) the dip bars arent 33" apart (the dip bars at my gym are pretty wide but i dont think they are THAT wide)

another idea i had was to set the safeties in the power rack really high and dip on those considering those are pretty far apart, would that work? any ideas?[/quote]
I’d say that as long as they’re a legit wide grip, which allows an extreme stretch, it should be fine. Again, in his description of dips in The Wild Physique, he mentioned a 32" grip, “wider if you are very tall”, so there’s a but of individualization.

To further encourage your Gironda kick, you might want to check out The Gironda System:

haha thanks for the info! thats some good stuff.