girlyman??

I think you judge other people too much.

There’s looking good, and then there’s trying to hard and being to concerned with your appearance. My gym clothes are clean, t shirt and shorts, sometimes a little under armor. Training is sacred, worrying about choosing workout gear that’s stylish, the right earing to wear, or highlighting you hair just so is silly.
I am not considered unattractive, allegedly look good nekkid, and am damn strong. Women like it. One common complaint from women that I consistently hear is, "where are the men?. " They don’t mean guys that compete for the mirror or have more hair care products than them. They mean a guy that gets things done, is secure, and has his shit together.
These are the men that can fix a car, build a deck, etc. They’re firemen, soldiers, coaches, doctors, lawyers, teachers. They’re called grown ups. Litte boys worry about their appearance; men have it together.

Do I detect a note of envy? Or rather, a symphony?

Does it bother you that women seem to prefer the guys who appear gay?

Indeed, the gym isn’t a fashion show, but I’ll still second everything Akheron wrote.

DI

irondoc nailed it.

Irondoc:

I assure you, ‘having it together’ has NOTHING to do with one’s appearance. And if you think for a second that appearance doesn’t matter, show up to work in jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.

DI

Haha, that is great. Wearing Under Armour which is a tight-fitting as clothing gets is not gay. But, any another tight shirts by a different company are. Now that’s logical.

Personally I don’t give a fuck what other people look like.I pay no attention to other people at the gym.
I wear baggy pants and t-shirts but I also bleach my hair lightly to hide the fuckin’ grey hairs that are comin’ in (I’m 25).Does that make me a homosexual?
I don’t think so.I also own a successful business and I sure as hell “got my shit together”!

Only someone that’s insecure with his own appearance would be bothered by another man with a dye job, tan, and tight clothing.

Stupid thread.

Coloring your hair in ANY way is gay. That includes old men who try to hide the grey and little boys who hilight the tips of their hair.

FYI–I’m bald as a can be.

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I do realize there’s some irony between what I said above and my post on my own insecurity.

Having to wear a certain brand, for the sake of the brand, is what, I believe, posters were getting at as being vain. Along with worrying more about having to look a certain way to go to the gym. There’s nothing wrong with knowing how to dress or take care of yourself, but when it becomes a priority (i.e. the “tuck” has to be right), it becomes laughable in the gym.

No one has said to look like a homeless person going to the gym; you should know how to dress well enough so that you aren’t worrying about it, but focusing on the task at hand.

And this is a topic where differentiating between “bad” and “gay” seems to be difficult for some.

Doogie,

I’ve seen lots of gay guys that shave their heads. So by using your logic, you’re gay too!

Men coloring their hair is not gay. The guys who call guys who color their hair gay are blatantly homophobic.

You know, there’s a strong correlation between being homosexual and calling everyone gay.

How bout just being yourself. If you’re the ratty clothes type (like I am), wear ratty clothes because you don’t want to get your nice t-shirts sweaty (or whatever your personal reason is but that’s mine), not because you think it makes you more of a man. Conversely, if you dye your hair, dye it because you like it that way, not because you think it’s the latest style according to some fashion editor. Trying too hard for an “image” of any type makes you look silly. Dress appropriately for the occasion and be yourself.

Very interesting subject you have spawned Z-Man. I think there is a balance to be struck with respect to what you wear to the gym and the appearance you give off while while training. I try not to judge by appearances but its hard not too…its a bit of human nature.
I do not think there is anything wrong with dressing neatly in the gym as long as you are not doing it to get attention. Seems like alot of people are.
I usually wear a string top tank cause I like to watch the effects of my training on the muscle…and doing some isometric contractions between sets gives the muscle a harder look and is another way of training. I don’t stand in front of the mirror and do a posing routine…but discreetly squeeze the muscle. If people think that narcistic then so be it…they are probably not in “the know” about it at all…so I don’t really care. Same thing with tanning…it can be overdone…but a good tan helps bring your muscularity out and it just looks plain healthier (even though it probably isn’t!)

I do think there are some dont’s for guys though…NO SPANDEX SHORTS! that has most peoples gadar pinging…and please don’t smell like you haven’t showered in months!..oh…and wipe your bench or whatever down after you have used it!

What I can’t stand however, is the behavior you mentioned: acting like you own the place…curling in the squat rack…dumbbell work right in front of the rack! and acting rude twords others.

Under armor is designed to wick sweat away to increase cooling during exercise or to insulate while cool. It’s called functional and practical. Grown ups know this. Try wearing a cotton tshirt while cycling compared to a bike jersey. You’ll know the difference.

Another thing practical is different than silly. Again grown ups have a sense of what is appropriate for various situations. One solution to a dress code is to own and run your own business for ten or so years. It’s Darwin at his finest. You lear a whole host of when , where, what, what,and how.
Incorporate or not, location, rent or own.Highlighting hair is silly for a man. Leave the games for the college boys or player wanna bes.

So tell me irondoc, why is it not silly for women to highlight their hair? Perhaps you are too brainwashed by what society has taught you too accept and cannot think on your own. So again, I challenge you to give me an intelligent answer for why it is ok for women to highlight their hair and not men. Just to clarify for you, “because” is not an intelligent answer.

Also, your last post couldn’t have been anymore incoherent. Also, don’t talk down to me using the term “Grown-Up” as if age has anything to do with intelligence. Along the same lines, when did being in college become a negative thing?

About what Under Armour does, it does not take a “grown up” to comprehend its purpose. Regardless of its function, it’s still a skin tight shirt and by your definition, that’s gay.

no one complains when I wear my leather thong. Hairy ass and all. I think the chicks dig it.

if I may hijack this, cuz it’s really deteoriated…

WHO is teaching all of these people to curl in the squat rack? Is it some ungodly crew of high school gym teachers from coast to coast? I don’t understand…until I found this site and forum I thought it was just the jerks at my university gym. Is this in some stupid weider book or something? I want to get to the bottom of it!

Being in college is not a negative as long as you get with a degree and a job.
The title od Diesel’s post is Girlyman. It should be self explanatory.