T Nation

Girly-Man Nation

This appeared in this mornings New York Post.

U.S. MANHOOD IN QUESTION

November 1, 2006 – If you think that men were men in the old days, you may be right.

The United States is apparently becoming a nation of girly-men, according to researchers who have found the level of testosterone in American guys is down by up to 15 percent since the 1980s.

Obesity and a drop in smoking - which raises testosterone levels - could be part of the cause.

Any thoughts from the T-men?

Find the thoughts in this thread. A similar article appeared last week.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1311678&pageNo=0

[quote]Jerseygirl97 wrote:
This appeared in this mornings New York Post.

U.S. MANHOOD IN QUESTION

November 1, 2006 – If you think that men were men in the old days, you may be right.

The United States is apparently becoming a nation of girly-men, according to researchers who have found the level of testosterone in American guys is down by up to 15 percent since the 1980s.

Obesity and a drop in smoking - which raises testosterone levels - could be part of the cause.

Any thoughts from the T-men?[/quote]

This is not just an American phenomenon. In fact, this has been happening in predominantly fish-eating nations for 40+ years. My thought is that the causes are much wider than obesity and smoking (which I don’t believe) such as pollutants in air, water and food supplies.

Luckily, I think that global warming could actually help the situation because, personally, my balls hang lower and more comfortably in hot weather and feel bigger, which means they’re pumping out more T, right?

DB

A drop in smoking causes a drop in T levels? Then that must mean that smoking raises T levels. Sounds like a great study. I better ask Santa for some dresses this year.

A drop of smoking results in a loss of vitamin T? I always thought smoking decreased testosterone.

Anyways, it is pretty obvious that we are becoming a nation of girly-men, I think it is partly do to a lack of manual labor and too much processed frozen food. And also you cannot forget the media.

[quote]Jerseygirl97 wrote:
Any thoughts from the T-men?[/quote]

I think I’m going to go grab a bag of Drum.

Kidding, kidding.

Where is my tofu? Who stole my tofu???

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Where is my tofu? Who stole my tofu???

[/quote]

You left it next to your quiche.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Where is my tofu? Who stole my tofu???

You left it next to your quiche.
[/quote]

and your kc master piece chips.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
Rockscar wrote:
Where is my tofu? Who stole my tofu???

You left it next to your quiche.

and your kc master piece chips.
[/quote]

No…I found it next to my low fat soy Mocha Frappachino!

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
In fact, this has been happening in predominantly fish-eating nations for 40+ years.[/quote]

Note for the pedant: the word is ‘ichthyophagous’.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
In fact, this has been happening in predominantly fish-eating nations for 40+ years.

Note for the pedant: the word is ‘ichthyophagous’.[/quote]

Great word. I will try to use it at the dinner table.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Where is my tofu? Who stole my tofu???

[/quote]

I found your tofu, but now I can’t find my swiss ball!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
In fact, this has been happening in predominantly fish-eating nations for 40+ years.

Note for the pedant: the word is ‘ichthyophagous’.[/quote]

Why do you have to call names???

DB

So what’s your point? Now hand me the TV remove so I can turn it to the “Lifetime” channel.

Yeah I wondered who they sampled for this study. There is nothing wrong with my T-levels but then again…I am Dutch…so they may be onto something here after all…

A

[quote]Jerseygirl97 wrote:
This appeared in this mornings New York Post.

U.S. MANHOOD IN QUESTION

November 1, 2006 – If you think that men were men in the old days, you may be right.

The United States is apparently becoming a nation of girly-men, according to researchers who have found the level of testosterone in American guys is down by up to 15 percent since the 1980s.

Obesity and a drop in smoking - which raises testosterone levels - could be part of the cause.

Any thoughts from the T-men?[/quote]

[quote]Jerseygirl97 wrote:
Any thoughts from the T-men?[/quote]

Don’t smoke. Don’t get fat.

If you speak to a man from two or three generations ago, by and large, there was a very different outlook on life. They didn’t expect someone to solve all of their problems, they didn’t expect to be handed anything from anyone and they generally had a tougher mentality.

I don’t know what happened, but I can tell you that smoking an eating shit food isn’t all there is to it.

Americans men are turning into punks more and more every day because the challenges that our fathers, grandfathers and so on are not there anymore. Everything is spoon-fed to us. Nobody has to work for anything anymore. We have become increasingly lazy.

Think about this, 100 years ago we didn’t have nearly as many gyms that exists now, but people, overall, were in better physical condition. You would think that with gyms available everywhere, we would be a nation of strong, healthy people, but we are not.

We are lazier because work ethic is not as attractive as instant gratification, which has been marketed to Americans on a daily basis. “Want to lose weight, take a pill and do 6 min. Abs”, “Want to make more money without half as much work, sign up for my new course”, “Can’t find the love of your life, try speed dating”. It’s ridiculous!

Sorry about the rant, but this topic really pushes my buttons.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
A drop of smoking results in a loss of vitamin T? I always thought smoking decreased testosterone.

Anyways, it is pretty obvious that we are becoming a nation of girly-men, I think it is partly do to a lack of manual labor and too much processed frozen food. And also you cannot forget the media.[/quote]

Nicotine is a powerful aromatase inhibitor. Just Google Scholar “nicotine” and “aromatase” and you’ll get the picture. I can easily see there being a connection between smoking and T levels.