T Nation

Girls Differ from Boys in the Gym

Hello ,

I have a girlfreind that wants to loose weightshe is 5’4 and about 185 and very determined to loose weight down to about 125 yes that is 60 pounds by Jan 1st .

I am helping her and I have her a diet that is about 1200 - 1800 calories depending on the work out and other activities this includes everything suppliments as well.

It has about 190 grams of protein From 4 servings of a protein shake 2 (45) minutes before workout and one right after just before her post work out meal and one 3 hours after that… low carb 12000 mg of fish oil through out the day … and about 3 tbs of Olive oil steamed veggies and Milk 2% Lots of chicken breast.

Right now she takes ZMA a multivitamin 5grams of createin divided in two doses 12 hours apart.Soaks in a tub with epsom salt 4 days a week before bed.

She is very determined and eager
I have her doing squats ,Dead lifts, Close grip pull downs ( she has a shoulder pain and this causes no pain) seated rows Leg extension leg curls glute machine …

Low back extensions,Decline bench, Over head tricep extensions calf raises and ab work machine. < yes I know squats work this also.>

An example of one of her work outs is :
Squat 3 sets of 25 with 75 pounds 30 sec rest between sets
Leg extensions with 2-1-2 tempo 50 pounds 5 x 10
Leg curl 10 x 5 with 70 pounds 15 sec rest between sets
Close grip pull downs 4 x 15 50 pounds 30 sec rest between sets. Seated calf raises 70 pounds 4 x 15 30 sec rest .
AB Machine 70 pounds 3 sets of 20 and the eliptical 15 minutes at the end goes about 1 mile as measured.

She stays motivated and sometimes does more than I tell her but I caution her to not get burned out she stays excited.

I am mainly trying to help her loose weight shape and tone her legs are awsome as they are. She works the entire body 4 days a week but differently every day with some easy days but the entire body none the less and 3 days rest < Does the HIP HOP ABS on one off day.>

She walks alot at work also. She has a freind that also goes to the gym with her and has been going to the gym for yrs.

She reminds me of an adhd kid just going from machine to machine with no plan no ryme or reason using nothing for weight just going through the motion but thats her and keeps telling my girl freind that she is going to bulk up and look big and with women making about 1/10 the testosterone as a man that lets me know that she isnt going to bulk.

My question is shouldnt a woman train like a man in the gym with weights and reps similar to guys % of 1RM instead of the tiny weights and endless reps per set to loose weight and tone ?

NOTE: I wont let her get on the scales I just have her take a pic ofherself at the beginning and then she will take one at the end of the yr < New Yrs Eve>. She is 40 yrs old and in pretty good physical shape just wants to loose 60 pounds.

What is “loose weight?”

I meant loose weight , shape and tone her body … just ran into the leg comment there

No…I think you meant lose weight.

lose |lo�?z|
verb ( past and past part. lost |lôst; läst|) [ trans. ]
1 be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something)

loose |lo�?s|
adjective
1 not firmly or tightly fixed in place : a loose tooth | the truck’s trailer came

see the difference :slight_smile:

<<< MY speil chequer iz brokin

[quote]OUToftheBOX wrote:
<<< MY speil chequer iz brokin
[/quote]

Try a third grade education.

It is great you have her on the major lifts and the leg extension and leg curl machine.

Some women need more lower body work as some of us carry more of our fat in the lower area.

If she can, I would suggest HOT-ROX, they are great for weight loss

Could you post what she eats a day? What she has in each meal?

Probably for her eating is the main culprit. She didn’t get fat by sitting around doing nothing and eating healthy foods.

She should log her food at least for a month to get a clear picture of where her calories are coming from. It might seem tedious but it is a great tool.

I have a good spreadsheet I can email you, or you should look into Fitday.com as they have a food log you can use.

Also, you mentioned you have her working at the gym 4-days a week. Could you list what it is you have her doing on those days?

I am a broken record about carbs, but she really needs to reduce her carbs to less than 50gs a day and better, less than 30gs a day.

Upping her protein and fats will stave off her hunger, although when you are losing weight you will feel hungry and you just need to get through it.

so… list a day of food and list the workouts

For cryin’ out loud! Lose, loose–you knew what he meant. And spell checker wouldn’t catch that. Jeezus.

OUToftheBOX: Screw her friend. And then tell your girlfriend to read this: http://www.figureathlete.com/readArticle.do?id=1490871

Having tried the ‘girly pink’ weights with not much success, I saw significant changes when I started lifting ‘like a man’.

Personally, I would ‘allow’ her to periodically weigh herself. As if you could stop me :)…and I’d take pictures a little more frequently. I’m currently finishing up the VDiet, and weekly pics and stats keep me fired up to keep going.

I’m still trying to figure out what “low carb fish oil” is.

[quote]dianab wrote:

[/quote]

I completely missed that, but that would be low carb and what do you bet some folks buy it for the “low carb” label

Yeah, let her lift like a man. Just one thing different is that women seem to be able to pump out more reps than a man at x% of 1RM.

It might be a smaller increase in weight than you’d suspect to move her from sets of 25 reps to sets of 8 reps.

Her training with high reps and short rest is good, too. Just mix it up.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
dianab wrote:

I completely missed that, but that would be low carb and what do you bet some folks buy it for the “low carb” label

[/quote]

I think it’s just missing a comma between carb and fish.

Why all the pedantic complaints?

[quote]skw wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:
dianab wrote:

I think it’s just missing a comma between carb and fish.

Why all the pedantic complaints? [/quote]

no, I wasn’t commenting on the OP’s spelling

I thought he meant low carb fish oil.

I didn’t mean you in particular, I meant why all the discussion about grammar and spelling instead of workout/nutrition.