Girlfriend Wants to be a Vegetarian!?!

All week shes been bugging me about how she wants to become a vegetarian.

I find that notion repulsive. How do I convince her to stop?

[quote]Brooklyyyn wrote:

I find that notion repulsive. How do I convince her to stop?[/quote]

You don’t. One of my girlfriends when I first got to college was a vegan. She also talked more than any other woman I’ve yet met on this planet. She could go on for hours about how horrible meat is and how wonderful plants are. I quit going out with her, not so much because she was a vegan but because she never shut up about how she was a vegan.

The chances of your girl changing perspective…Zero.

It is up to you whether you can deal with it in a relationship.

No, I don’t think shes the type to go and try to preach it to me or anything. especially since she knows how adamant I am against it and how much I LOVE meat. According to her she loves vegeatables+ tofu and is sick of meat. But at the same time i cant help bu think shes doing it cause shes trying to get skinnier despite the fact that she has a fantastic body.

Tell her no.

But really, it might just be a phase…I’ve known a handful of girls that toyed with the idea but ultimately came back to meat in one form or another, either in sauces, stew, soup, or even just…meat. If you know her favorite foods or things she likes, try to find ways to remind her what she’d be missing out on…life would be pretty bleak with tofu and soy every meal.

Don’t bother. Just eat what you want to eat and let her deal with her newly limited food choices. Some people can hack it, others can’t and cave in the instant they smell a hot dog.

My girlfriend has eaten no red meat or poultry for 11 months running. Occasionally she asks me to give her a good reason to start eating meat again. I tell her I don’t have to, it is her decision from the start. In the meantime I’ll be very busy eating my delicious meat and being healthier than she is.

If that’s what she wants to do you shouldn’t be trying to sway her. I don’t see what’s THAT repulsive about it, it’s just vegetarian. It’s not like she’s switching to a strictly Krispy Kreme diet.

What bothers me the most about vegetarians is that they think they are saving animals, but they are still killing plants for their salads. We’re at the top of the food chain, get over it.

You don’t need to eat meat to be healthy. You just have to come up with ways to get your nutrients elsewhere. Technically a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet is one of the most healthy diets ever.

Maybe the problem is not her, but your preconcieved notions of what is right.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/sugar-and-sweeteners/vegetarians-age-faster-2/

Interesting read. Might cause her to rethink it.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
You don’t need to eat meat to be healthy. You just have to come up with ways to get your nutrients elsewhere. Technically a lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet is one of the most healthy diets ever.

Maybe the problem is not her, but your preconcieved notions of what is right.[/quote]

First I just want to say that ppl as a whole are stupid

Maybe the problem is that the VAST MAJORTIY of ppl go off on a wim without any real reason/knowleg of what they are really doing and how to get the “nutrients elsewhere”. Im sry but it just iratates me.

Ah let her do her Vegitarian thing, just let her have a nice protein shake every day or whenever you feel UP to let her have a shot :wink:

She gets the protein and you are still a happy camper :slight_smile:

[quote]Himora22 wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:

Maybe the problem is not her, but your preconcieved notions of what is right.

Maybe the problem is that the VAST MAJORTIY of ppl go off on a wim without any real reason/knowleg of what they are really doing and how to get the “nutrients elsewhere”. Im sry but it just iratates me.[/quote]

Very true. Eating for substanance should be the last thing that should be turned into a science. But without a little forthought problems can arise going both ways. The guy eating the meat might not have the knowledge/reasoning to control his intakes. I constantly see diet logs of people eating meat with every meal.

How the average person eats has a lot to do with morals, ethics, their upbringing, location, etc. There is more to it that “you are stupid for being vege”. And does she really need a legitimate reason to try it? Its not like this is a tattoo or something irreversable.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:

Maybe the problem is that the VAST MAJORTIY of ppl go off on a wim without any real reason/knowleg of what they are really doing and how to get the “nutrients elsewhere”. Im sry but it just iratates me.[/quote]

Isn’t taking up weighlifting for the first time going off on a whim without any real reason/knowledge?

Let her do the veggie foods and you take care of the meat.

The funny thing about vegan bitches trying to save animals (not necessarily your GF)is that their car will have leather seats.

I dated a “Genius” in college, she was on the softball team and would always talk about animal rights, yet she was so proud of her 100% Rawhide Softball glove.

[quote]Brooklyyyn wrote:

There’s absolutely no reason to convince her about anything. The fact that you find it “repulsive” is on you, and has nothing to do with her.

This recent Atomic Dog, and the book it talks about, have some good information about a incorporating a more vegetable-based diet.
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/atomic_dog/atomic_dog_eat_food_not_much_mostly_plants&cr=features

What’s the usual reason for being a vegan or vegetarian?

Seems like the most common reasons are:

1 - Health (which is debatable, depending on which facts you read.)

2 - Ethical (which isn’t really debatable, because it’s a personal decision.)

[quote]Brooklyyyn wrote:

How do you convince her to stop? You don’t. Is she going to break up with you if you don’t become a vegetarian too? Most people don’t make it very long. You can always bring up the fact that she can’t eat baked goods that contain eggs if she’s a vegetarian.

Don’t try convincing her to stop - let her find out for herself. Some people love the lifestyle and others don’t.

I am currently dating a vegan. She sticks to her diet and I stick to mine. She never bugs me about all the red meat I eat and I don’t get on her case about her diet. She’s also in 3rd year of medical school so she keeps a high protein intake and doesn’t eat all the crap processed food.

Occasionally we’ll go to a vegan restaurant and I enjoy the food, but would never switch.