T Nation

Girlfriend Wants New Workout

My girlfriend wants a new workout for when our gym opens back up tomorrow. Most of the weight training routines she has done have been ones I provided her with, often from this site. The last one she used was Art of Waterbury.

Here's the thing...she doesn't really get that into lifting and her primary goal right now is to get leaner. She gets bored spending alot of her workout lifting (would prefer to do cardio) and doesn't like doing too many different exercises.

I suggested something like this:

Week 1
Mon - Squat, Row, Bench
Wed - Deadlift, DB Military, Lat Pull
Fri - Squat, Row, Bench

Week 2
Mon - Deadlift, DB Military, Lat Pull
Wed - Squat, Row, Bench
Fri - Deadlift, DB Military, Lat Pull

Week 3 - same as 1
Week 4 - same as 2, etc.

She could be done in less than 20 minutes and have more time for cardio. I was wondering what rep ranges/cycle would be good. I was thinking something like 5x5 (increasing weight each set) for two workouts then 3x15 or 2x20 for the next two, then just keep alternating each two workouts.

How does that sound?

Why would you go from 5x5 to 2x20 or 3x15 with probably minimal weight?

Why not go to something like 3x8? This way she could still do a decent amount of weight but she'd be able to change up the rhythm and maybe not get so bored.

Start learning other lifts with her.

Learn the olympic lifts, i bet you and her would find it quite refreshing.

I guess thats the problem, she doesn't see any difference in her training. You keep the reps high (boring) and the same exercises (bench, squat, rows, deadlift).

I know that for us who actually likes lifting weight doing that kind of workout isn't that bad but for your GF who obviously isn't that much into weightlifting, she really needs something refreshing.

So give a try to the power form of the olympic lifts.

Power ..because the full lift isn't quite necesary if you don't train to compete and it's alot easier to learn the power form.

Search arround for the exact way to perform those exercices (power clean and power snatch).

Introduce her to Meltdown Training. If she can do cardio after doing 20 minutes of heart exploding hell, she is not human.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
Why would you go from 5x5 to 2x20 or 3x15 with probably minimal weight?

Why not go to something like 3x8? This way she could still do a decent amount of weight but she'd be able to change up the rhythm and maybe not get so bored.

I guess my reasonong would be that 1) It provides more variation from 5x5; 2) Since she would be lifting heavy with 5x5 either once or twice a week, it would help with recovery; 3) It would exhaust her more and make her feel like it is helping with her goals; 4)She told me she hates doing 3x10 because it is boring; 5) Girls want to use high reps no matter what you tell them.

I am not saying that those are the best rep schemes, but that is why I was considering them in addition to 5x5(increasing weight each set). I was also thinking that she might like doing a circut on the straight set day to save time and boost aerobic benifits.

I'm not even sure 5x5 is the best idea but I think she would like lifting heavier weights for motivation.

Here is a better illustration of my question?

Week 1
Mon - Workout A - 5x5
Wed - Workout B - 5x5
Fri - Workout A - ?x?

Week 2
Mon - Workout B - ?x?
Wed - Workout A - 5x5
Fri - Workout B - 5x5

Week 3
Mon - Workout A - ?x?
Wed - Workout B - ?x?
Fri - Workout A - 5x5

Week 4
Mon - Workout B - 5x5
Wed - Workout A - ?x?
Fri - Workout B - ?x?

Looking at that, maybe 3 seperate rep schemes would be simpler. Like, M-5x5,W-2x20,F-3x8. I Dunno, looks boring.

Although I really like p-cleans, p-snatches, OH squats, etc., and I do most of them every week, I'm sure she has less than zero interest in learning these. I am also not qualified to teach them.

Like I said, she has done many different kinds of programs...she just isn't that into lifting, but she does it anyway.

That is a good idea. I wonder if she would get into that. I'll run it by her.

Saying thats like saying that she should do 20 rep squats [breathing reps with 10 rep max of course]. I don't think he wants her dead / scared off.

[quote]Dorso wrote:
My girlfriend wants a new workout for when our gym opens back up tomorrow.

Good luck with whatever you do, BUT why was your gym closed today?

Mine was thankfully open all day as usual!

I went over this stuff with her and she wants to try Meltdown Training. I told her it would be hard and there are more exercises than she would have liked, but she likes the concept. It more appealing to her than just lifting to increase muscle mass to raise her RMR. Thanks Rainjack.

Dorso

Just tell her that if she doesn't get the body you want then you will have to start cheating on her.

Of course if you actually do cheat on her she will run you down with the car.

She sounds too high maintenance man. I think you should start cheating on her.

Two words... Home Gym.

Think about how this might encourage your girlfriend to lift heavy (away from the critical eyes of all the gym tossers who spend 3 hours to do 10-15 of their most impressive sets).

You're welcome.

If Meltdown interests her, she might also like Fat to Fire (I and II). I did FTF2 recently and it kicked my ass even more than Meltdown used to. It's a fast workout and involves a lot of different lifts- not all of it is what you would typically find in a bodybuilding program. If she likes variety in her workouts she might enjoy it.