Girlfriend Training

Hi everyone.

One of my girlfriend want to train in a gym because she wants to get stronger in her sport. I think it’s a great idea. I already showed her how to make squats, bench, chins, rows, etc.

BUT when she makes squats, she always fall on her but or she cant keep her hells on the ground when she is going down.

Any help/advices ?

you’re cool

[quote]evansmi wrote:
you’re cool[/quote]

And so are you !

reverse hyper
step ups

Since it’s your girlfriend I’ll suggest lots of the Legs on Shoulders position to increase hip mobility. :wink:

But seriously, can she do a bodyweight squat? How much does it help when she widens her stance?

could be many reasons:

• poor ankle mobility
  • week hamstrings
  • too narrow stance

check the squat video on “thefitcast.com” from Dan John - great stuff!!

[quote]MrTangerineSpedo wrote:
Since it’s your girlfriend I’ll suggest lots of the Legs on Shoulders position to increase hip mobility. :wink:

But seriously, can she do a bodyweight squat? How much does it help when she widens her stance?[/quote]

It’s not my “girlfriend” but a girl who is my friend… sry i’m french I could not find the wrong word.

She have the same heel problem when she does bodyweight squats.

She needs flat shoes. Also, she needs to stretch out her calves and hamstrings before squat work.

[quote]arDieselar wrote:
She needs flat shoes. Also, she needs to stretch out her calves and hamstrings before squat work.[/quote]

This is good advice but I would add that if she lacks calf flexibility (as I suspect) merely stretching before the exercise may not be enough. I used to have the same problem (minus the falling over) and I fixed it with a foam roller after reading the “feel better for 10 bucks” article. At first it felt like torture but when it stopped hurting when rolling the calves I noticed that I was able to Squat A2G for the first time. If you can get your hands on a roller it’s worth a try, after all you can’t push with your heels when they’re in the air.