Girlfriend Training, But Going Backwards

a month ago my girlfreind decided she was goin to get back in shape. she completely turned turned around the way she ate-6 clean days and 1 semi cheat day per week, does 30 mins circuit training (curves gym) 3 days a week plus 1 hr dance/cardio class.
anyway instead of the usual inital drop in weight we were both expecting, after a month shes gained 8 lbs and her measurements arms waist etc have all increased too.

we live together so I know for a fact her calorie intact has reduced, basically stopped eating sweets choc most processed and high fat foods. the girl in her gym that gave her her meal plans cant explain it and my girlfriends shattered about it because shes really stuck at it and not slacked off.

the only thing i can think of is cortisol as she can get stressed over things but that said shes eating less and doin more so Im stumped- has anyone got any similar experiences?

Do body fat measurements.

See if she’s putting on fat. Let that be the judge of things. Do a measurement like once every week or two.

I would suspect some muscle gain to be part of it.

The other thing is, most people walk around dehydrated. If she was one of those before, and has now upped her water intake to a healthy level, that could explain part of it too. Basically, before she would have been heavier than she “appeared” because she was walking around dehydrated. But you’d have to share her post and pre diets to know.

How does she look? Does she look firmer and leaner? Bloated? Is she now taking supplements like creatine that cause water retention? High sodium intake? And unless you’re counting calories, there’s really no way to know that she’s cut calories: many crap foods actually don’t have than many calories. A bag of M&Ms is total junk, but it actually doesn’t have that many calories. If instead of eating a bag of M&Ms for lunch, she’s eating a chicken breast and veggies, it can still add up to more calories over all. She’ll end up with better body composition in the long run, but calories still need to be below maintenance to loose weight, or she’s effectively doing a “clean bulk”.

She needs to keep a food log.
Also, how much dairy is she eating? I bloat like mad on dairy although I never really noticed it before I cleaned up my diet.

Wouldn’t Crossfit be a better choice for fat loss/general conditioning?

[quote]CapitaineEvident wrote:
Wouldn’t Crossfit be a better choice for fat loss/general conditioning?[/quote]

No Rhabdomyolysis sucks.

If you’re starting out at Curves, you aren’t ready for Crossfit.

to spartitates:
shes definitely improved tone and shapewise, chances are she probably was dehydrated as shes only regularly taking in fluids. I wouldnt have a record of something like a food log but like what you said maybe its a clean bulk.

It probably doesnt help her that Im in ‘eat everything in sight thats not shit’ mode but thats only till march. Im thinking when she sees how strict I can be itll open her eyes.

therell be no damn rossfitters in any house of mine!!! :slight_smile:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

No Rhabdomyolysis sucks.[/quote]
Well, it’s a fine line between “pushing yourself” and “killing yourself”

@deadlybuzz But CrossFit makes girls hot, everyone knows that.