Girlfriend Says Egg Yolks Are Bad

My girlfriend is studing nutrition and got into me the other day about eating yolks. Apparently some nutrition big-wig came into class and told them how if you eat egg yolks you’ll be banished to the firey gates of hell.

i remember reading an article mentioning a study where participants ate 2-3 daily eggs for 6 months with no increase in colesterol.

also, she told me that it’s the egg whites that have the protein, not the yolk. i said the yolk have a signifacntly larger amount of protein in them.

can anyone help me with official sources to back my claims up?

i love you all

I graduated 2006 with a BS in Nutrition, and had to dig out one of my old textbooks to help you out �?? I�??m going out on a limb, and assuming that she believes eggs are the devil because of their high cholesterol content.
Here�??s what you tell your girlfiend: �??Contrary to widespread belief, changing the amount of cholesterol in the diet has only a minor influence on blood cholesterol concentration in most people. This is because compensatory mechanisms are engaged, such as HDL activity and scavenging excess cholesterol and the down-regulation of cholesterol synthesis by dietary cholesterol. It is well known, however, that certain individuals respond strongly, and others weakly, to dietary cholesterol. This phenomenon, which may have a genetic basis, is further complicated by the observation that significant within-person variability exists independent of diet, a fact that clearly confounds the results of intersubject studies.�??
She wasn�??t right about the egg whites either; while the majority of the protein is in the white (3.6g white/2.7g yolk) it�??s almost 50/50. Also, all of the nutrients are in the yolk. As Charles Poliquin Says, �??only dorks eat egg whites�??.
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/question_of_strength_october&cr=

Gropper, S. S. (2005). Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism 4th Edition. Belmont: Thomson Wadsworth.

If that doesn’t work, just tell her to fuck herself and eat the egg yolks anyway.

Turn it around on her and get her to back up her claims. If that doesn’t work give her a good beating. OG would approve… :slight_smile:

hahaha. thanks guys, apprciate the help.

any more info to help me back up my side and i get to post a pic of her in her undies.

Quick, someone cite some sources!

Shit just tell her I said it and I’m a world renowned nutritionist. If she was dumb enough to make that bet with you chances are she’ll buy it. :slight_smile:

Read the articles on here about eggs. there are several.

She is buying into a guru. So just counter her guru with someone like John Berardi, a PhD in nutrition just like her guru.

Any of his material. this kind of thing agitates me to the point where I can understand why Charlton Heston had to throw the back hand around so much.

I want to torture that guru your gf buys into.

-chris

[quote]CJK wrote:
If that doesn’t work, just tell her to fuck herself and eat the egg yolks anyway. [/quote]

Best. Post.

Is her name Miss Garrison mkay?

My girlfriend told me a lot of things I know aren’t true, you just say uh-huh and move on knowing your right.

Remember most women don’t have to make discussion based on logic.

Stick it in her butt while eating egg yolks.

[quote]Higgins wrote:

Remember most women are incapable of logic.[/quote]

Fixed.

Oh. crap. that means the 12 whole eggs i ate today are going to kill me. and the other 12 i ate yesterday… and the day before… =(

Ive gotten shit about my egg intake.

so I went and got my bloodwork done.

Low and behold on 30+ eggs a week my cholesterol is within normal levels.

Now when someone gives me shit, I ask them the last time they got tested and what the results were. i then explain my results and ask them how they explain why im not dying.

studies and science is great, but at the end of the day if you can establish that you are healthy doing what you do, they cant argue.

While everything else has been said, I routinely have to remind people that an egg white has 3g protein, and a whole egg has 6g. Why on earth would you half your protein intake? (I have 4 whole eggs every morning and I feel great -lol)

S

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Stick it in her butt while eating egg yolks.[/quote]

For the win!

Just because something doesnt have protein in it, doesnt mean its not full of nutrients vitamins n stuff.

OH CRAP! My multi-vitamin doesnt have protein in it…oh well what’s the point then.

I’ve got a degree in Nutrition and I think egg yolks are great. The source above stating that your body compensates for dietary cholesterol is exactly right. A bigger influence in your bodies production of cholesterol is total fat and especially the type of fat you are consuming.

I don’t think you need a degree in nutrition to see that eggs are good for you - the whole egg that is. Just look at what an egg can do. It goes from being a liquid goop sitting in side a shell to a little living creature. How can something with such amazing nutritional capacity be bad for you?

[quote]on edge wrote:
Just look at what an egg can do. It goes from being a liquid goop sitting in side a shell to a little living creature. How can something with such amazing nutritional capacity be bad for you?[/quote]

What a completely disgusting and disturbing way to describe it. Now I’m hungry for eggs.