T Nation

Girl with Big Breasts Benching

Recently my girl friend wanted to start powerlifting.

Today I am going to work on some technique stuff with her and mobility work.

The issue is and im not sure if anyone else has had a issue like this is she has very big breasts. She is a DD. Will that effect her Benching?

Is there anyway to address that? or will it make it easier for her because her ROM is smaller.

it will probably affect other peoples benching more
lol
i know just could not resist

I was expecting something like that, or someone saying … ‘ill need to see pics to give the best advice’ lmao

My wife is a 32 G. She struggles a bit with bench because a metal bar pressing on breast tissue is uncomfortable. Other than that, she’s benches the same as anyone else.

Some of this depends on her individual anthropometry - length of arms, flexibility to her back, etc… I bench with the bar down fairly low on my sternum - well below my bra band. As she becomes more proficient, if she has good upper back flexiblity, she may also be able to take a lower bar path - allowing a shorter trip up and down, and also keeping the bar below her bust. We all have our own individual geometry, so she’ll have to experiment and see.

I’m the same. Although I’m small chested, the bar never comes near them. It touches my sternum, around my xiphoid process.

Yes, to be clear, the angle of her upper arm is going to mostly determine where the bar comes down on her chest. If she keeps her upper arm in closer to her torso, the bar will have to come down lower on her chest. That’s how I bench.

An extreme would be having her upper arm making a 90 degree angle with her torso, elbows out. That would make the bar come down across her upper chest. I keep my upper arms in, closer to my torso. I hope that makes sense? Regardless of the angle of her upper arm, the forearm is always going to be vertical. I know this is basic stuff, but she may be able to keep the bar in a lower more comfortable position, and also protect her shoulders.

There are some nice drawings of this in Starting Strength.

Another way to fool around with bar position. Have her stand sideways in front of a mirror. Hold a broomstick as if it’s a BB, hands where she normally places them on the bar for bench press. Press it away from the body in a lockout postition. Then have her pull it in to her chest. Forearms will be parallel to the floor when she’s standing. Look at the angle of her upper arm. If she moves her upper arm and elbow further from her torso, the bar will land higher on her chest. As her elbow and upper arm stay close to her torso, the bar will land lower on the chest. Somewhere about 45 degrees from the torso would be the middle. I hope that helps.