T Nation

Girl Squats 500 LBS in High School

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
This is the story that is being told on one of my crews by a couple of guys, who claim their sister did this about thirty years ago. They say she was a heavy girl, but 500? I say maybe, probably four inches down and four inches up. Is this for real? [/quote]

Was Becca Swanson in HS back then??

[quote]Rah-Knee wrote:
I was squatting just yesterday when some random guy in the gym comes up to me and comments on the weight I was using. “not bad, but let me show you how it’s really done”. i’ve got 315 on the bar, and i’ve been going a2g for five set of triples, and this guy looks like two of him couldn’t move 315 in any lift.

This guy then goes to the squat rack next to me and loads the bar up to 455, then unracks the weight, moves about 3 inches back from the rack and knocks out 3 VERY wobbly reps with about a 2 inch range of motion. he racks the weight, then tells me he’s almost at 500 pounds in his squat.

take peoples claims with a grain of salt, because it’s probably some bullshit like this ^^^[/quote]

That must have been so awesome, dude. It’s not every day that you have an opportunity to learn from a true master.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jets-mangold&prov=ap&type=lgns

Holley Mangold, sister of Jet’s center Nick Mangold, apparently squats 525.

Five foot nine and 300 pounds? Holy hell, thats a big girl. I did notice the article didn’t include a picture of her.

She ate the photographer.

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
Five foot nine and 300 pounds? Holy hell, thats a big girl. I did notice the article didn’t include a picture of her. [/quote]

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Hard to know what to make of it. It’s quite possibly true. At the same time, as others above have pointed out it has all the earmarks of a re-told gym fable. [/quote]

If it happened in the seventies, you can’t overlook the marijuana factor in the fable. Over time, the fish gets bigger and the weights get heavier.

It was my dad that told me the story, I haven’t been to that job site yet, but he said the guys were dead serious, I doubt he was kidding me, because he’s really gullible and believes alot of B.S. that people tell him about lifting, etc. He still tries to tell me that my uncle (RIP) could out bench press guys at fifty years old, going in the 400s, and that his friend could have run a sub 10 second 100 meter dash but he didn’t work hard enough. I’m going to show him this post just to show him how unlikely it is.

[quote]Finalyear wrote:
It was my dad that told me the story, I haven’t been to that job site yet, but he said the guys were dead serious, I doubt he was kidding me, because he’s really gullible and believes alot of B.S. that people tell him about lifting, etc. He still tries to tell me that my uncle (RIP) could out bench press guys at fifty years old, going in the 400s, and that his friend could have run a sub 10 second 100 meter dash but he didn’t work hard enough. I’m going to show him this post just to show him how unlikely it is. [/quote]

LMAO @ sub 10, 100m.

Your dad is gullible.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
On a side note… I talked to Hugo Girard today (BTW, he’s pulled a “Dave Tate” and he’s looking very lean at 330 nowadays… huge veiny arms) and he told me that he curled 300lbs… somehow that’s probably the only guy I’d believe in that type fo situation![/quote]

That’s awsome. How long have you known him? Is he still doing the strongman stuff or has he moved on? Would love to see some pics.

Monopoly

[quote]Jerome wrote:
I’ve also had an uncle tell me his retarded grand son, (literally the kid is mentally handicapped), who is THIRTEEN years old could bench 400 lbs. (So how come he isn’t in power lifting competitions breaking all the records???)
[/quote]
Probably true. I mean the kid would have retard strength, right?

Funny thing is that I’M SURE that every once in a while someone walks up to Ronnie Coleman and tells him “I had a friend who also worked out and looked like you… maybe a little bigger though”[/quote]
HA! Yeh, I know this guy who was about your height, but a little bigger. Anyway he used to lift engine blocks out of Chevys, blah, blah, blah…

I know, its so hard to explain to people who don’t understand sprinting how fast that is or how much a tenth of a second is.

Yeah, I bet she’s HOT. Excuse me while I go puke.

[quote]Crispyknight wrote:
Five foot nine and 300 pounds? Holy hell, thats a big girl. I did notice the article didn’t include a picture of her. [/quote]

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

That’s awsome. How long have you known him? Is he still doing the strongman stuff or has he moved on? Would love to see some pics.

Monopoly[/quote]

He hasn’t been able to train his lower body has much as he want because of his achilles heel injury (ruptured it twice). I think that he might be interested in powerlifting (bench press) meet until his lower body is back 100%

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

That’s awsome. How long have you known him?

Monopoly[/quote]

3 days!!! Actually he loved my Black Book and wanted to meet me for over a year. My friend competes in strongmen comps and everytime he competes, Hugo asked him if I would come one day.

[quote]ohagajosh wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Bit off topic, but sort of similar in the aspect of people trying to one up you in the gym…My brother and I were doing squats and some guy in his 50’s comes over and says the following, “that’s a lot of weight boys…but I bet you can’t do this…” as he throws his leg up onto the bar that is about shoulder height to show us a STRETCH. So of course we show him how easy this is by doing it, after which he says “well the trick is to turn your leg side ways once you got it up there.”

I’ve also had an uncle tell me his retarded grand son, (literally the kid is mentally handicapped), who is THIRTEEN years old could bench 400 lbs. (So how come he isn’t in power lifting competitions breaking all the records???)

My niece has told me that her dad, who is about 130 lbs with chicken legs picked up a 1000 lbs…RIGHTTTTTTTT. I don’t even talk about lifting weights yet my relatives are always asking me about it and trying to one up me with horse shit stories like these, they, like many people, are just trying to drag others down.

haha, who are you talking about specifically Joe?[/quote]

Ask me in person and I’ll tell you.

heres a link to the picture of that mangold “girl”, shes alot of woman…

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5836780?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8485

[quote]WideGuy wrote:
It’s true I fucked her.[/quote]

raw or with gear? doesn’t matter, either way it’s moving a lot of weight.

Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

3 days!!! Actually he loved my Black Book and wanted to meet me for over a year. My friend competes in strongmen comps and everytime he competes, Hugo asked him if I would come one day.

[/quote]

Now is that the “Black Book” book, or the one with all the phone numbers that you have absolutely no use for anymore (psst… be careful how you answer, you never know who may be reading this)?

By the way, what do they put in the water in Quebec, what is it, 3 of the top strongmen in the country, yourself, and I know I’m forgetting a bunch…

Back on topic, I’m positive I could squat 1,000lbs, ass to the grass…I’m just not sure how the hell to get back up yet!

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

Now is that the “Black Book” book, or the one with all the phone numbers that you have absolutely no use for anymore (psst… be careful how you answer, you never know who may be reading this)?

By the way, what do they put in the water in Quebec, what is it, 3 of the top strongmen in the country, yourself, and I know I’m forgetting a bunch…

Back on topic, I’m positive I could squat 1,000lbs, ass to the grass…I’m just not sure how the hell to get back up yet! [/quote]

For years my sister claimed she benchpressed 90kg at 14 years of age. It wasnt until i pointed out she would have broken a world record, that she finally acknowledged that it just might have been 90 pounds instead.