T Nation

Girl Fried Me in The Tanning Bed!

I am so pissed off. I have been tanning slowly for my upcoming trip to Florida. Tonight I went to the tanning salon and the girl asked if I wanted to use my free upgrade which is a better tanning bed. I just got up to 10 minutes in the cheaper bed and asked her what that would be equivalent to in the better bed. She said you should be fine doing the same in this bed if you didn’t get pink in the other one. I told her I did get a little pink but not enough to burn or hurt. She said you should be fine, I’ll put you in for nine minutes. I guess this was to be sure I didn’t burn. Well guess what? I’m fucking red. I probably should have gone for half the time with the amount of exposure I got.

I’m not in a lot of pain but my lower back is uncomfortably warm. Luckily I covered my face otherwise I would have been in real trouble. The reason I went there in the first place was so I wouldn’t freaking burn. What if I end up peeling now? Oh that will look hot as I walk around in my bikini and desperately oil myself up to camouflage my flaky skin. I want to kill her! I’m going there tomorrow to complain or kill someone. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Shouldn’t this idiot be trained as to how strong the bed is?

I would not tan, if I were in your situation.

Pale chicks are hott.

I understand the not wanting to get burnt in florida, though. I was down there a few years ago and had my back burnt so bad it blistered and peeled. Hurt like hell, and it was hard to wear a shirt for days.

Be sure to get something out of complaining. Act as pissed as you can be, and score some free stuff. Threaten to take your business elsewhere.

When are you leaving for Florida? Most likely it will fade in a few days…and at that amount of time in the bed I don’t think it will peel.

I usually opt for spray tans.

I’m sorry that you’re upset, but things will be okay. I was born and raised in Florida, and you don’t have to worry if you are peeling. It’s second nature to us, and people will probably think you’re a local.

Yeah Molotov I get a free spray tan too. I wanted to get a base tan first and then get the spray right before I leave for Florida.
SouthernGypsy I used to live in Florida too and now I live in southern SC. I hate peeling though. I moisturize my skin every day from head to toe so it looks good. I don’t even tan myself anymore. I wear sunblock and get some color but no more deep tanning for me.
Well at least I feel a bit better from taking ibuprofen. My ass and back aren’t on fire now. It’s funny I just read their pamphlet and it says the people there are Smart Tan certified, whatever that means. I guess it means they should be able to interpret my answers on the questionaire I filled out: fair skin, burns easily, light green eyes. That stupid bitch. I want to knock her out.

[quote]AmandaSC wrote:
Yeah Molotov I get a free spray tan too. I wanted to get a base tan first and then get the spray right before I leave for Florida.
SouthernGypsy I used to live in Florida too and now I live in southern SC. I hate peeling though. I moisturize my skin every day from head to toe so it looks good. I don’t even tan myself anymore. I wear sunblock and get some color but no more deep tanning for me.
Well at least I feel a bit better from taking ibuprofen. My ass and back aren’t on fire now. It’s funny I just read their pamphlet and it says the people there are Smart Tan certified, whatever that means. I guess it means they should be able to interpret my answers on the questionaire I filled out: fair skin, burns easily, light green eyes. That stupid bitch. I want to knock her out.[/quote]

Please get a good night’s rest before showing up at the door in the morning looking to knock her out.

You should use multiple paragraphs

[quote]Legionnaire wrote:
You should use multiple paragraphs[/quote]

What? Are you saying I should make a space between them? Who the hell cares? Are you trying to piss me off or something?

Why don’t you use that tanning moisturising lotion or whatever? Couple companies make them, I see the ad for the Dove one most… seems a better option than burning yourself the right shade.

You have a potty mouth and a shitty attitude…I like you.

Post pics.

Amanda, I hold this certification as well as well as their management training one. First off, were their designations out somewhere visible and did you see this girls name on one? If so, then shame on her.

I would calmy but firmly go back to the salon and speak to the owner or manager. There is a spray they should have there (that they should be doing for free!) that can help make you more comfortable. It has a lidocaine base. Stay hydrated, don’t scrub your skin, ibuprofen should help a little. Don’t tan again until all of your redness has gone.

It’s hard to say what an appropriate time would have been without knowing how high output of a bed it is but from all of the beds that I have used or been trained with, the rule of thumb I generally use for very fair people like yourself is this: startint time should be conservative and move up 1-2 minutes at a time (provided no pinkness or discomfort), use a good tanning lotion to keep skin hydrated, if you’re moving up to a higher bed - cut your time in half to start and see how it goes, and wear the eye protection.

Tanning itself is not bad for you - sunburns are. Definitely talk to the salon management/owners. If you want or need to verify any proceedures, PM me, I’ve still got all of my training materials/books and I can confirm or deny what you’ve been told.

Good luck to you.

When you go in to complain, don’t go in livid (pun). Go in calm and state what you want to say. Otherwise you may look like a lunatic. I’ve been there (been the lunatic I mean). If you want something from them, have it in mind before you go. Don’t talk too much, stay calm, say your piece and stand there until they do something. Sometimes when you don’t say much, people will talk just to fill the empty air and you get good offers. Do you want money, free tanning sessions or even just an apology? They probably won’t go for killing the bitch but I could be wrong. Throw it out there and see what happens :slight_smile:

I have periodic pissing contests with major corporations and have done fairly well in most cases.

Good luck

I live in Florida and have a beautiful golden brown glow left over from spring break. Must suck for you yanks.

Amanda

Some good advice offered already.

But if you have an aloe plant in your house, slice a leaf off and spread the juice onto your burned areas. My son suffered an alcohol burn last year (science project gone awry) and aloe cleared it up in a day. Unbelievable as it may sound, it works great.

[quote]Love2Lift wrote:
Amanda

Some good advice offered already.

But if you have an aloe plant in your house, slice a leaf off and spread the juice onto your burned areas. My son suffered an alcohol burn last year (science project gone awry) and aloe cleared it up in a day. Unbelievable as it may sound, it works great.[/quote]

This is excellent advice regarding the burn. When I was 14 my sister got a sun lamp and said I couldn’t use it. Therefore I sat under it for 3 hours when she went out. I got 2nd degree burns on my face and neck. I used aloe gel on it for weeks when it blistered and scabbed and to this day I think I didn’t scar because of it.

O

Seconded.

This thread is worthless without pics. :slight_smile:

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Post pics.[/quote]

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I live in Florida and have a beautiful golden brown glow left over from spring break. Must suck for you yanks.[/quote]

So being from South Carolina makes you a yankee?

Amanda, where in SC?

I’m so far south I’m twenty minutes from the Georgia border, true south Getswole.
Thanks MsM for the advice. I was really careful going up in time from 6 minutes to 10 only the last time. I think the right time in this bed would have been five minutes judging from the amount of color I got so you’re right on with that.
Ouroboro don’t worry. I actually speak with people very well. I was so pissed when I woke up from napping on the sofa last night and felt my back burning I had to come here and vent. I’ll speak to the manager calmly and then I’ll go knock out that girl, calmly ; )