T Nation

Girl Dismissed From LIFTING Class!

Ok, wow. I hope she wins her case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061118/ap_on_fe_st/weightlifting_class

Really? Really? 1 million dollars? Really?

The principal was a goofball and made the wrong call. Was it a 1 million dollar mistake? I don’t think so.

Sue happy people are helping to make our country a little worse, especially when its directed at the education system. Sometimes shit happens and you just need to get over it. Winning isn’t going to prevent this from happening to other people. Most likely it will just cause the school to cancel the lifting class all together.

Personally, I would like to drag the principal back and forth over a bed made of concertina wire. Not because of what he did to the student. But because of the fact that he makes it sound like men are rapists, and that a big group of men will just automatically rape a girl by herself. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Ok, wow. I hope she wins her case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061118/ap_on_fe_st/weightlifting_class

[/quote]

I don’t. The guy made a judgement call and then changed his mind soon afterwards after giving it more thought. What is the real problem here? It is wrong because the principal was thinking of her well being? His mindset might be outdated…or he might be overprotective…but lawsuit worthy of one million dollars?

I am SO sick of people suing for every little reason.

She wasn’t hurt here. She wasn’t even degraded. Not only that, but she was allowed right back in the class days later.

WTF?

If it were my sister I would probably thank the guy for looking out for her and just remind him to provide more security back there if it is that much of a concern.

I have found the perfect excuse for not having to meet my mothers friends whenever I visit her.

“Think about it, sex-starved middle-aged housewives, I’m a young incredibly attractive athletic male with a high IQ who is very modest and has a large penis, I could get raped. Do you want your child to get raped? Do you enjoy rape? Did you rape me as a child? Is this a rape party? What kind of sick perverted world are you living in! This is wrong and just no. No. I am not meeting anyone named Gale. Gale is the name of a rapist.”

I can use this forever. For anything.

“I can’t go shopping with you. Neiman Marcus, ugh. No, I can’t give you my credit card either. See? It’s blue. Blue is for guys, and pink is for girls. It’s how they seperate children at birth, so you can’t say it’s sexist. It’s for basic identificaton purposes. Why can’t I go? Who’s going to be there? Women. What, 40, 50 women? Is there a sale? 100 women? And me, alone, as the single male? I’m sorry, but there’s a very real chance I’d be putting myself in serious danger. Now move, you’re blocking me from watching Mike and Mike in the Morning. The credit card can’t go because it’s a guy credit card, honey. See, yours is pink. It has the little breast cancer awareness thing on it, that’s pink. My credit card is like my child, if we ever have children do you want them to be violently gang-raped? No? I didn’t think so. I’m glad we had this talk.”

Thank you, random girl suing a school, you have changed my life.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Personally, I would like to drag the principal back and forth over a bed made of concertina wire. Not because of what he did to the student. But because of the fact that he makes it sound like men are rapists, and that a big group of men will just automatically rape a girl by herself. That doesn’t make any sense to me. [/quote]

Have you been absent from the news lately? If high school shootings are the new thing to do, how off is it to think a girl alone in a room with several guys in the back of the school might be at risk? While I wouldn’t make the call he did, if he is much older, I can understand the world he is coming from.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
Personally, I would like to drag the principal back and forth over a bed made of concertina wire. Not because of what he did to the student. But because of the fact that he makes it sound like men are rapists, and that a big group of men will just automatically rape a girl by herself. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

Have you been absent from the news lately? If high school shootings are the new thing to do, how off is it to think a girl alone in a room with several guys in the back of the school might be at risk? While I wouldn’t make the call he did, if he is much older, I can understand the world he is coming from.[/quote]

I think its just WAY WAY WAY over the line for him to think that guys will just rape every available female. So what, she is the only girl in the class. Its not like women are a new and rare thing. If someone is going to rape, chances are it won’t be in a high school class. That would be an extremely easy way to get caught.

Just because they are men doesn’t make them rapists. I would be seriously offended if the principal had removed the only girl because I was a potential rapist. Just because I have a penis does not make me a rapist.

Just because I have a gun does not make me a murderer. Do you not understand what the principal is saying? He is saying that there is a high risk of the girl getting raped, just because she is the only girl in a class.

But If a guy were the only one in a class, no one would worry about him getting raped. They might assume he is gay, but I don’t think anyone would fear him being gang-raped by a bunch of women. The principal is stigmatizing all men as rapists.

That would be roughly equivalent to me saying that all white people steal, just because of the actions of a few.

If this girl was harmed in any way I bet that the father would sue the school for leaving his daughter in a room full of young men. Also, the principal would be heavily criticized by the media for allowing this.

In this age of ridiculous lawsuits and liability it is a difficult situation / decision for a principal to make. Still I think he could have handled it better. Perhaps he could have discussed the issue with the parents before making any decisions.

[quote]tpa wrote:
If this girl was harmed in any way I bet that the father would sue the school for leaving his daughter in a room full of young men. Also, the principal would be heavily criticized by the media for allowing this.

In this age of ridiculous lawsuits and liability it is a difficult situation / decision for a principal to make. Still I think he could have handled it better. Perhaps he could have discussed the issue with the parents before making any decisions.

[/quote]

I definitely agree with that, but suing as if this was some attempt to degrade her sexuality is ridiculous. I have heard of kids getting raped in schools. In fact, I would think it isn’t really that rare in more urban school districs. It just won’t make headlines if the kid is poor and lives in the projects.

It sounds like the principal was attempting to look out for her best interests. To turn that on him as if he was trying to destroy her is just plain stupid and I hope she doesn’t win.

Maybe I’m just the fool idealist, but the fact the principle was in a situation where he honestly thought there was a fear of a teacher and a bunch of students raping a girl in the school, there are some serious F’ing problems at that school and perhaps it needs to be closed and another created.

'course that’ll never happen, this nation’s got other priorities.

I think the guys in the class should sue for being called potential rapists. That had to hurt their delicate little egos.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Ok, wow. I hope she wins her case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061118/ap_on_fe_st/weightlifting_class

I don’t. The guy made a judgement call and then changed his mind soon afterwards after giving it more thought. [/quote]

Exactly - it was three freaking days!

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Ok, wow. I hope she wins her case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061118/ap_on_fe_st/weightlifting_class

[/quote]

You shittin us?

Oh, they kicked me out because they thought I might be in danger! Now I’m suing because when it happened some years ago I got physically sick over it (allegedly…)

What a crock of bullshit.

Let’s all say it together… THE MOTIVE IS MONEY. NOTHING ELSE.

I would agree if she hadn’t been let back in the class and eventually earned an A.

The fact that she’s suing for $1 million isn’t really relevant in my opinion- punitive damages are there to punish the offender to send a message, not really to reward the victim. I mean, if she sued for actual damages (umm… $50 worth of lost time spent arguing on the phone?), then nobody would take notice and no changes would be made.

Personally, I doubt she’s going to win this one, but the fact that the million dollars is out there is going to make principals think a little harder about discrimination.

[quote]daltron wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Ok, wow. I hope she wins her case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061118/ap_on_fe_st/weightlifting_class

You shittin us?

Oh, they kicked me out because they thought I might be in danger! Now I’m suing because when it happened some years ago I got physically sick over it (allegedly…)

What a crock of bullshit.

Let’s all say it together… THE MOTIVE IS MONEY. NOTHING ELSE.

[/quote]

Definetly could be the case. She has the best potential to get a large sum of money with a very little amount of work. Thing is her lawyer will more than likely get a majority from what I understand of all the court fees, which is admitedly very little.
Lately in this world though, I’m begining to think people are really going crazy.

Some of the stories I’ve just heard over the last few days, and things people do over the internet where there isn’t any money involved, but perhaps just a few minutes of fame makes me believe this girl probably thinks she’s actually doing the right thing.
Like it was said above, the principle made a judgement call and it may have been wrong, or it may have been right. I hate to think what may have happend if it were right. In my humble opinion this has been taken extremely out of proportion.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
The fact that she’s suing for $1 million isn’t really relevant in my opinion- punitive damages are there to punish the offender to send a message, not really to reward the victim. I mean, if she sued for actual damages (umm… $50 worth of lost time spent arguing on the phone?), then nobody would take notice and no changes would be made.

Personally, I doubt she’s going to win this one, but the fact that the million dollars is out there is going to make principals think a little harder about discrimination.[/quote]

THAT is my point.

My God, some of you guys on here really like to nitpick what I say. Way to show your maturity.

She HAS to make it a ridiculous amount because it won’t get noticed if she doesn’t. Maybe her lawyer told her that, maybe she already knew. Who knows. The point is there. When you want something done you HAVE to make it seen.

Yes a mill is frivolous and will probably be laughed at, but to deny someone from lifting just because she doens’t have a penis is wrong. Sure they let her back in class, but the point is that they wrongly denied her to begin with AND they were calling all those students AND the teacher potential rapists!

Barney made a good point - just because you have a penis doens’t make you a rapist, just because you have a gun doens’t make you a murderer.

The principal made a STUPID judgement call. Having dealt w/ a couple of STUPID and HARMFUL judgment calls by principals, I’m not real happy when I see another idiot in administration.

The girl’s case got attention. Now the school needs to change policy.

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
Barney made a good point - just because you have a penis doens’t make you a rapist, just because you have a gun doens’t make you a murderer.[/quote]

While true, a large number of crimes are committed using these weapons… if someone approaches you with either one of these weapons drawn, it’s not a good sign.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

Personally, I doubt she’s going to win this one, but the fact that the million dollars is out there is going to make principals think a little harder about discrimination.[/quote]

I disagree. I don’t think this is about discrimination at all. There is no evidence the principal wouldn’t let her lift weights because “she is a girl.” I think the Prof nailed this head on when he said the principal was probably being overprotective. His words and and actions appear to show that.

[quote]vroom wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Barney made a good point - just because you have a penis doens’t make you a rapist, just because you have a gun doens’t make you a murderer.

While true, a large number of crimes are committed using these weapons… if someone approaches you with either one of these weapons drawn, it’s not a good sign.[/quote]

Well derrr.

But where does it say that 18 young men and the instructor had their penises (penii?) drawn and at the ready? It doesn’t say that and unless it was some kind of gay thing or a gang problem, I doubt it was reality.