Gimp in Training

Mystery Tear

Monday night was rough. I barely got an hour of sleep. I was in quite a bit of pain, even with my arm propped on a pillow and having taken 2 anti-inflammatories. I CAN’T isolate any injuries. My whole upper body is used in basically everything I do: getting in and out of the car/bed/shower, moving around, cooking… you name it.

The pain/injury came from the midline of my Right collarbone. It was broken when I was about 3 yrs old and is a bit twisted. Also, I did all sorts of undiagnosed injuries to my joints and right should when I had my wreck back in 1985. You know those seated DB curls with the seat at about a 45 degree angle which put more stress on the long head of the Bi? I can’t do them as the stress will cause inflammation/pain in the midline of the right collarbone. Years ago, I also had an acupuncturist/massage therapist “dig” below that collarbone and cause the same pain (it lasted about a week or two).

Well, after much Googling, there are only 2 things that are below the midline of the collarbone:

• the subclavius muscle
  • ribs one and two

This makes me wonder if I have scar tissue or calcification in the area. hmmmm… I’ve still not made it to a doctor for diagnosis.

Things were MUCH better just two days post injury. I have no bruising so that just makes me wonder what was injured. Sitting at my work desk will elevate my collarbone just slightly. This removes most pressure and pain. Oddly, I think it has been some of the best positioning and “therapy” I could get.

Thursday 06-26-08

It’s time for feeling out the injury.

Shoulder Warmup
BP with only bar - lots of reps w/ various grips

135 x 5 - Shaky and slow
135 x 10
135 x 20

I decided to see how much of the percentage training I could do.

• based on 260 lbs.
    182.5 x 10
    195 x 8
    208 x 6

STOP - injury is tense, inflamed and painful enough to put on the brakes.

Overall, I’m rather pleased. The lifts were too shaky and the first rep of every set was really slow. However, I was still able to train some.

Saturday 06-28-08

I slept - a lot. Then I slept some more. This weekend is all about rest and recovery.