Gimme Your PolyUnsaturated Sources

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Otep -

I often cook with Safflower Oil (and OO). Safflower oil is available as two different types-- one high in polys, one in high oleic acids(mono). I don’t know what the difference is in processing.

Safflower oil with high polys are much more common and easier to find (at least where I’m located).

Hollywood Oils (high in poly):
http://www.hollywoodoils.com/products/product/786.php

[/quote]

That stuff looks awesome. The site looks rediculously cheap. Like… geocities + paypal cheap. You buy this stuff?

Things It Does Little Good to Post On Because, Like Zombies, They Keep Coming Back:

1. SHBG
  2. “Acid-forming-foods” vs “Alkalinizing” and alleged Bone Leaching
  3. Don’t Lump Fats Together According to Number of Double Bonds

This being category 3.

[quote]Otep wrote:
For those posters who joined in the last couple of years, please refrain from posting about nutrition until you can tell the difference between poly and monounsaturated fats. Walnuts and Extra Virgin Olive Oil have polyunsaturated fats like benching works out your lats; some, but nobody in their right mind would think it’s the important part.

off topic but… ask a powerlifter what they use when they bench

[quote]Otep wrote:
Icarus wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I have cut out ALL PUFAs from my diet. I now eat either saturated or mono-unsaturated fats.
Saturated: meat, butter, and lots of coconut oil
mono-unsaturated: macadamia nut oil and a little olive oil. These two contain a little pufa but are mostly mono-unsaturated.

I avoid PUFAs (including fish oil).

Why? Just curious.

x2.

You just racheted up another notch on Otep’s ‘People who do strange things’ list. Not that that’s such a bad list. You’re in company with several American authors and at least one dutch painter.
[/quote]

Entheogens likes the works of Ray Peat, found here:

In that article, Ray Peat (a biochemist, I think) details why he believes fish oil is not as great as it has been made out to be. He has another article on the wonders of coconut oil.

I don’t know the merits of his points regarding fish oil and I hope Bill Roberts gives it an honest read and gives us his review of Ray Peat’s article.

Personally, I always thought the anti-inflammatory action of fish oil was due to immunosuppressive properties and not that the oils specifically targeted TNF (tumor necrosis factor) or cytokine activity. Since inflammation is an immune system response, and immunosuppressive therapy exists to treat inflammatory auto-immune conditions, I was pretty convinced that fish oil has a mild immunosuppressive effect.

A rebuttal to Ray Peat:

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/essentialfattyaciddef.html

[quote]Otep wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Otep -

I often cook with Safflower Oil (and OO). Safflower oil is available as two different types-- one high in polys, one in high oleic acids(mono). I don’t know what the difference is in processing.

Safflower oil with high polys are much more common and easier to find (at least where I’m located).

Hollywood Oils (high in poly):
http://www.hollywoodoils.com/products/product/786.php

That stuff looks awesome. The site looks rediculously cheap. Like… geocities + paypal cheap. You buy this stuff?[/quote]

Yes, I buy that brand of safflower oil, but not from that site. It’s available at my local supermarket.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
Otep wrote:
Icarus wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I have cut out ALL PUFAs from my diet. I now eat either saturated or mono-unsaturated fats.
mono-unsaturated: macadamia nut oil and a little olive oil. These two contain a little pufa but are mostly mono-unsaturated.

Why? Just curious.

x2.

You just racheted up another notch on Otep’s ‘People who do strange things’ list. Not that that’s such a bad list. You’re in company with several American authors and at least one dutch painter.

Entheogens likes the works of Ray Peat, found here:

In that article, Ray Peat (a biochemist, I think) details why he believes fish oil is not as great as it has been made out to be. He has another article on the wonders of coconut oil.

I don’t know the merits of his points regarding fish oil and I hope Bill Roberts gives it an honest read and gives us his review of Ray Peat’s article.

Personally, I always thought the anti-inflammatory action of fish oil was due to immunosuppressive properties and not that the oils specifically targeted TNF (tumor necrosis factor) or cytokine activity. Since inflammation is an immune system response, and immunosuppressive therapy exists to treat inflammatory auto-immune conditions, I was pretty convinced that fish oil has a mild immunosuppressive effect.[/quote]

Thanks a hell of a lot for that link, going to peruse that and the rebuttal; there goes my afternoon off :smiley:

And after reading the article, I think his main points can be summed up with ‘Omega-3 Oxidation’, ‘Immunosuppressive Properties’, and ‘Metabolites of EPA/DHA’; for those who want to study up on this (seemingly) great source.

Edit: PoncedeLeon, do you know of any other rebuttals or sources similar to this? It’s a great topic, but the rebuttal has no science and attacks Ray Peat personally as well as his theories, not the most convincing.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Things It Does Little Good to Post On Because, Like Zombies, They Keep Coming Back:

1. SHBG
  2. “Acid-forming-foods” vs “Alkalinizing” and alleged Bone Leaching
  3. Don’t Lump Fats Together According to Number of Double Bonds

This being category 3.[/quote]

Noted.

[quote]entheogens wrote:

I avoid PUFAs (including fish oil).[/quote]

Listen to this man. PUFAs WILL kill you, it’s only a mather of time.

[quote]Zepto wrote:
entheogens wrote:

[/quote]

With enough time, everything will kill us.

[quote]Zepto wrote:
it’s only a mather of time.
[/quote]

lol

[quote]Zepto wrote:
entheogens wrote:

[/quote]

Isn’t it PUFA in vegtable that’s dangerous?

[quote]Otep wrote:
For those posters who joined in the last couple of years, please refrain from posting about nutrition until you can tell the difference between poly and monounsaturated fats. Walnuts and Extra Virgin Olive Oil have polyunsaturated fats like benching works out your lats; some, but nobody in their right mind would think it’s the important part.

elusive wrote:
Fish Oil is usually my main source for Pufa’s. I buy in bulk.

Huh. I realize that would be the obvious go-to answer for polyunsaturateds, but I always considered them rediculously expensive, and the fact that they have to be kept refrigerated all the damn time always got to me (I typically spend my days in my car, but I suppose I could jury-rig something so it wouldn’t get hot). Tell me about bulk, and how you deal with making sure they stay at a nice temperature?[/quote]

I’ve never, in my life, refrigerated fish oil.

[quote]guitarlifter wrote:
Otep wrote:

elusive wrote:
Fish Oil is usually my main source for Pufa’s. I buy in bulk.

Huh. I realize that would be the obvious go-to answer for polyunsaturateds, but I always considered them rediculously expensive, and the fact that they have to be kept refrigerated all the damn time always got to me (I typically spend my days in my car, but I suppose I could jury-rig something so it wouldn’t get hot). Tell me about bulk, and how you deal with making sure they stay at a nice temperature?

I’ve never, in my life, refrigerated fish oil.[/quote]

Better get on that then