T Nation

Gimme Your PolyUnsaturated Sources

I eat pretty much the same foods every day. Its convenient to prepare, moderately tasty, and simple to modify based on what my dietary goals are.

Grapeseed oil is where I get most of my polyunsaturated fats from. I also take Flameout, but… I mean, it’s not like I’m going to be downing 20g of fat from Flameout.

I figure since I’ve been downing a couple of tablespoons of grapeseed oil every day for three months or so, it’d be a good idea to switch up my predominant source of polyunsaturated fats.

What do you use? What do you recommend?

Fish Oil is usually my main source for Pufa’s. I buy in bulk.

Walnuts

That is all

PUFA vs FUPA

DO NOT get these confused.

One is very healthy, one is very nasty.

olive oil

I think some of you are confusing mufa and pufa. go back and research the difference

For those posters who joined in the last couple of years, please refrain from posting about nutrition until you can tell the difference between poly and monounsaturated fats. Walnuts and Extra Virgin Olive Oil have polyunsaturated fats like benching works out your lats; some, but nobody in their right mind would think it’s the important part.

[quote]elusive wrote:
Fish Oil is usually my main source for Pufa’s. I buy in bulk. [/quote]

Huh. I realize that would be the obvious go-to answer for polyunsaturateds, but I always considered them rediculously expensive, and the fact that they have to be kept refrigerated all the damn time always got to me (I typically spend my days in my car, but I suppose I could jury-rig something so it wouldn’t get hot). Tell me about bulk, and how you deal with making sure they stay at a nice temperature?

I have cut out ALL PUFAs from my diet. I now eat either saturated or mono-unsaturated fats.
Saturated: meat, butter, and lots of coconut oil
mono-unsaturated: macadamia nut oil and a little olive oil. These two contain a little pufa but are mostly mono-unsaturated.

I avoid PUFAs (including fish oil).

[quote]Deorum wrote:
olive oil[/quote]

That’s almost exclusively monounsaturated.

I use walnut oil for PUFAs.

PUPA is polyunsaturated fats: omega-6 and omega-3

there is monoinsaturated
and saturated

what is FUPA?

[EDIT] ok now I understand. lulz

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
Deorum wrote:
olive oil

I use walnut oil for PUFAs.[/quote]

x2

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

there is monoinsaturated
and saturated

what is FUPA?[/quote]
Try a Google image search.
And turn off your Safesearch.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[EDIT] ok now I understand. lulz[/quote]

Haha sorry, it had to be done.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I have cut out ALL PUFAs from my diet. I now eat either saturated or mono-unsaturated fats.
mono-unsaturated: macadamia nut oil and a little olive oil. These two contain a little pufa but are mostly mono-unsaturated.

I avoid PUFAs (including fish oil).[/quote]

Why? Just curious.

[quote]usaffirefighter wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
Deorum wrote:
olive oil

x2[/quote]

i guess i read wrong. the source i read off of said extra virgin olive oil was 50% or more poly. that seemed significant to me. somebody find a different source for me?

Otep -

I often cook with Safflower Oil (and OO). Safflower oil is available as two different types-- one high in polys, one in high oleic acids(mono). I don’t know what the difference is in processing.

Safflower oil with high polys are much more common and easier to find (at least where I’m located).

Hollywood Oils (high in poly):
http://www.hollywoodoils.com/products/product/786.php

[quote]Sharp4850 wrote:
jasmincar wrote:

there is monoinsaturated
and saturated

what is FUPA?
Try a Google image search.
And turn off your Safesearch.
[/quote]

That’s the last time I do what a stranger on the internet tells me.

[quote]Deorum wrote:
usaffirefighter wrote:
Sharp4850 wrote:
Deorum wrote:
olive oil

x2

i guess i read wrong. the source i read off of said extra virgin olive oil was 50% or more poly. that seemed significant to me. somebody find a different source for me?[/quote]

I go through ColaVita Extra Virgin Olive Oil like fat kids went through JNCO’s in the late 90’s. The nutrition information says I get 1g polyunsaturated out of a total of 14g per serving. Differences exist among the same product because companies manufacture, measure, and round in different ways. Usually the difference is negligable.

If you’re reading information from a label, stop buying that product immediately. Most producers of cheap Extra Virgin Olive Oil water it down with soybean and palm oil, and then add beta-carotene to adjust the color and flavor. Soybean oil is high in Poly’s, I think palm is less so, but either way, it provides a plausible explanation for what you’re seeing (weird though it is).

Soybean oil is really bad for you, especially in high volume.

The only way to really tell the difference is to run your own at-home smoke-point test, which is somewhat expensive and time-consuming, but worth it if you down Olive Oil by cup-measure.

[quote]Icarus wrote:
entheogens wrote:

I avoid PUFAs (including fish oil).

Why? Just curious.
[/quote]

x2.

You just racheted up another notch on Otep’s ‘People who do strange things’ list. Not that that’s such a bad list. You’re in company with several American authors and at least one dutch painter.

[quote]Stength4life wrote:
Walnuts

That is all [/quote]

I apologize for my back-handed jab earlier on. It seems as though Walnuts, despite being a nut, are really big in poly’s.

I have learned something today. Specifically, that I can’t always discount your opinion.