T Nation

Gilbert, AZ in September

Gilbert, AZ in September
Hi All,

I'm an Arizona native who is going to be back in the desert (in Gilbert) for the month of September. Last time I was there I was missing working out with people and this time I don't want to miss the opportunity.

I'm a 24 year-old female, beginner personal trainer and it is my long-term goal to compete in a figure competition. I'm right now mostly concerned about leaning out because my big sister's wedding is in a month and it's "one of those things" that you're willing to risk some muscle loss for. Girls will understand.

I'd love to hear from anyone in the area -- I have access to the small community gym at my parents' place but thought about trying to find some trial membership elsewhere.

I like to train as hard as I can but sometimes I have health problems (one, for instance, is scoliosis), but I'm really interested in sports medicine and physical therapy and read about that and bodybuilding and olympic lifting, etc, as much as I can!

Anyone in Gilbert out there who resonates with this? Gimme a shout! I'm very friendly and have a good sense of humor and am easy to get along with (I hope!). it'd be fun to meet others who share one of my biggest interests.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Yeah, I'm in Gilbert Arizona.

As far as Trial memberships.. You're gonna have a hard time finding a GOOD gym for only a month.

I believe 24 hour fitness has a no membership fee.. I'd try that.

What gym do you use out here, Zexy?

(no offense intended, but,) I've been stuck in Gilbert many times on business. Stayed in either Mesa or Chandler. the Golds in Mesa (Gilbert/Baseline,)had a day pass for $15 a pop. Cool place. The Bally's in Chandler (Ray and Rural,) for $10. I ended up using the Bally's in Chandler much more because it was $5 less and I wound up finding better hotels and nearer to work in chandler.

I've been to Gold's on Baseline and Gilbert, it was alright.

But I'm using LA fitness right now, I'm really liking it.

Didn't know there were so many AZ people!

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I didn't even realize there were some yet - thought I'd get an email notice...

I checked out some free trial passes and found a 14-day one at Gold's and a 7 day at Lifetime Fitness. The sum should work out pretty well. I don't need too much of the fancy equipment, but I gotta have a barbell --- can you believe the 55+ community my parents live in won't allow them because they're afraid people will hurt themselves!!!

I believe it, when I was first starting out 3 years ago I joined a community gym and they had ALL machines, and a smith bar.

It was hell.

A poster here on T-Nation - Cezar - runs "StrengthWorks Gym" in Tempe, near ASU. It's on Apache and McClintock behind the pep boys. The address is 1400 S. McClintock, Tempe AZ, 85281. Website is www.StrengthWorksGym.com

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a perfect T-Nation gym.

There's one other serious gym I've found in the Phoenix area - Thorbecke's Gym - http://www.thorbeckesgym.com/

It's been around for almost 40 years. I haven't tried this one yet either, but again, it looks like a great place for serious lifters.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

It's a real good gym. Daily rates, I think, are $6.00. They have some benches, dumb bells, two power racks, squat machine, GHR, Reverse Hyper, some strongman stuff (tree, farmers walk, tires, sled) and a cable machine. No usual machines. Oh, they have two ellipticals and two treadmills.

I was a member until I moved. You could work a deal out for the time you're in town; they're flexible and cool dudes.

Another figure competitor here, I live in Mesa near the Gilbert border. I'd be happy to take you to my gym while you're here also, just PM me.

Thanks Hot AZ - just PMed you!

Would anybody out there in AZ, who has a decent-sized backyard, be interested in setting up an old-school outside gym? I'm thinking cement buckets for farmer walks, sandbags to heft, sleds to drag... I've never set it all up myself before, but definitely have been dying to. You too? let me know! :wink:

Thanks Nick & kroby! I didn't check all this out before I just posted. I'll definitely have to check that out, just need to get myself some better transportation - i.e. I'm a little too old to still be borrowing the 'rents car. o.O

So, on an unrelated note, anyone selling a used car? I've got $900. I feel dumb posting this, but you never know! Thanks fo any leads!