T Nation

Giffords Shooter Not Competent to Stand Trial

Not even a half hour old:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/tucson-shooting-suspect-faces-hearing-to-see-if-hes-mentally-competent-to-stand-trial/2011/05/25/AG90O6AH_story.html

PHOENIX â?? A federal judge has ruled that the suspect in the Arizona shooting rampage that wounded U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is mentally incompetent to stand trial, putting the criminal case on hold indefinitely.

The decision by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns means 21-year-old Jared Lee Loughner will be sent to a federal facility for up to four months in a bid to restore his competency.

Wednesdayâ??s ruling comes after Loughner spent five weeks in March and April at a federal facility in Missouri, where he was examined by two court-appointed mental health professionals.

Loughner has pleaded not guilty to federal charges stemming from the Jan. 8 shooting at a Tucson meet-and-greet event that injured Giffords and 12 others and killed six people.

Thoughts?

I wish some one would beat that smile off his face

I really don’t buy the line of mental incompetence.

If violent criminal were mentally competent would they think using violence was a good idea in the first place?

Me thinks not.

What is the difference between being deemed legally insane and mentally incompetent?

What happens if they don’t restore his competency in those 4 months.

Now he gets a left-wing psychiatrist to explain that it’s not his fault and he’s all cured with the medication he’s being given and fit to be released.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Now he gets a left-wing psychiatrist to explain that it’s not his fault and he’s all cured with the medication he’s being given and fit to be released.[/quote]
Already started before he was deemed crazy.

[quote]kevinm1 wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Now he gets a left-wing psychiatrist to explain that it’s not his fault and he’s all cured with the medication he’s being given and fit to be released.[/quote]
Already started before he was deemed crazy.

How the fuck can someone make the statement “Itâ??s an irony but we think nothing of stigma towards Gabby and her brain injury, but he (Loughner) has a brain injury as well, because clearly his brain was not working properly when he picked up that gun and shot all those people.” No shit, who goes out on a shooting spree when their brain is working well. This defense could apply to school shootings too. Oh why don’t we let those kids off, clearly their brain wasn’t working right when they decided to open fire on their classmates…This is disgraceful.

Whether or not Loughner is mentally unstable it does not change the fact that his actions harmed society, and individuals therein. It would be better for him and society, if he were summarily executed. See JS Mills speech on capital punishment and social utility as a reference.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Whether or not Loughner is mentally unstable it does not change the fact that his actions harmed society, and individuals therein. It would be better for him and society, if he were summarily executed. See JS Mills speech on capital punishment and social utility as a reference.[/quote]

Agreed. A life lived in evil is more tragic in its continuance than in its cessation.

If he is mentally unstable, that makes him more dangerous, not less dangerous. I’ve never understood the insanity defense.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
If he is mentally unstable, that makes him more dangerous, not less dangerous. I’ve never understood the insanity defense. [/quote]

x2

Fucking electrocute the bastard.

Ever know anyone with Acute Schizophrenia ?

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:
Ever know anyone with Acute Schizophrenia ?[/quote]

I had an Uncle w/paranoid schizophrenia. Vietman vet.

So what? Are you actually going to defend his actions?

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

Ever known a sexual psychopath? Someone like Ted Bundy for instance. Should tax payers have funded Bundy’s incarceration costs and paid for a nice psychologist/psychiatrist to have chats with him about his feelings? Or were we right to have put him down like a mad dog(i.e. in a humane manner as opposed to the way in which he tortured his victims to death)?

If someone is convicted of MURDERING another human being/s(bar extenuating/mitigating circumstances) and that conviction is upheld several times upon tax payer funded appeals, that person should be snuffed. Whether some psychiatrist says they’re nuts or not is neither here nor there.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
If he is mentally unstable, that makes him more dangerous, not less dangerous. I’ve never understood the insanity defense. [/quote]

It’s not their fault their mind made them do it.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

Ever known a sexual psychopath? Someone like Ted Bundy for instance. Should tax payers have funded Bundy’s incarceration costs and paid for a nice psychologist/psychiatrist to have chats with him about his feelings? Or were we right to have put him down like a mad dog(i.e. in a humane manner as opposed to the way in which he tortured his victims to death)?

If someone is convicted of MURDERING another human being/s(bar extenuating/mitigating circumstances) and that conviction is upheld several times upon tax payer funded appeals, that person should be snuffed. Whether some psychiatrist says they’re nuts or not is neither here nor there.[/quote]

Are you really going to try to compare a sociopath and a schizophrenic?

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

So what? Are you actually going to defend his actions?[/quote]

No, his actions are not justifiable. I know little about the Gifford case, but I do know something about Schizophrenia. Their reality is entirely different from ours. It is entirely possible that a schizophrenic believes a person is a demon or an alien or God knows what else, and by killing them they are actually not only morally justified, but may me saving the world. That is what the legally insane plea is intended for.

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

No, his actions are not justifiable. I know little about the Gifford case, but I do know something about Schizophrenia. Their reality is entirely different from ours. It is entirely possible that a schizophrenic believes a person is a demon or an alien or God knows what else, and by killing them they are actually not only morally justified, but may me saving the world. That is what the legally insane plea is intended for.[/quote]

I still don’t understand how them not knowing it was wrong should lessen the punishment. If they don’t know that what they did was wrong they would have an increased chance of doing it again. Oh no! My new neighbor is a demon too!

I’m just saying in general for discussion purposes, not accusing you of standing on either side of this :slight_smile:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

If someone is convicted of MURDERING another human being/s(bar extenuating/mitigating circumstances) and that conviction is upheld several times upon tax payer funded appeals, that person should be snuffed. Whether some psychiatrist says they’re nuts or not is neither here nor there.[/quote]

Are you really going to try to compare a sociopath and a schizophrenic?
[/quote]

In terms of murdering people because they’re mad yes. If a guy with depression or bi-polar disorder murders someone same deal.

[quote]brnforce wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

[quote]garcia1970 wrote:

[quote]reddog6376 wrote:

No, his actions are not justifiable. I know little about the Gifford case, but I do know something about Schizophrenia. Their reality is entirely different from ours. It is entirely possible that a schizophrenic believes a person is a demon or an alien or God knows what else, and by killing them they are actually not only morally justified, but may me saving the world. That is what the legally insane plea is intended for.[/quote]

I still don’t understand how them not knowing it was wrong should lessen the punishment. If they don’t know that what they did was wrong they would have an increased chance of doing it again. Oh no! My new neighbor is a demon too!

I’m just saying in general for discussion purposes, not accusing you of standing on either side of this :)[/quote]

!?!

!!! ?

??!!??

Dude, what would you consider the just punishment for someone who gets rid of a demon?