Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

It’s a ghost!

Man, I’ve been through a lot since you started your hiatus. It looks like you stopped logging back in February of '18, so I’ll start there.

After my hip rehab, I began training normally in late March of 18. In June I hit new PRs or matched old ones on the big three lifts. Deadlift - 545, squat - 370, bench - 305

My shoulder started getting cranky and my conditioning was crap after that program so I tried some CrossFit type stuff for a bit. The first time I did front squats I had pain in my hip again. I still battle that now, but that derailed the rest of 2018 for me. Everything was trial and error, rest, modifications, etc. I didn’t really have a solid approach to my training.

I tried my last ever bulk last year. I was 217 when I had hip surgery in Dec 2017. I topped out at 250 in October. I’m now 210-213. I don’t know if I added any muscle, but once I started cutting I couldn’t stop until I reached the physique you can now see in my avatar.

In October (when I was 250), I dunked while playing basketball and had a pop in my shoulder. It turns out that I subluxed my biceps tendon in my right shoulder. It wouldn’t stay in the groove anymore so I had surgery June 5th. Tomorrow marks the nine weeks point of my rehab for that. I’m on light duty at work and still unable to lift with my right arm. The summer has just been a maintenance program of legs, left arm, and cardio on the machines.

That pretty much covers everything in a nutshell. I just started a new Challenge in the Bigger Stronger Leaner thread. It’s a commitment challenge. Pick a program and run it from September through the end of the year. It’s for people like me who have training ADD.

Welcome back! Hope all is well. I saw a post about a shoulder surgery in the T-ransformation thread from '18. Hopefully you’re all healed up with no long standing issues. I think I also saw a post about a new job and moving?

Edit: I saw your replies in Duke’s log. Livin in Florida temporarily and healed up from a shoulder debridement, but not training. I just tagged you on Instagram. I’ll be doing Ryan Fischer’s High Intensity Interval Bodybuilding stuff. It looks like I’m going to puke a lot, but it’ll be good for me. If brutally hard training is your thing then I’d be happy to have you “train with me” starting around September 10th.

5 Likes

Woke at 212.6 lbs. Guess that’s my “full” weight. I was pretty close to nailing my nutrition yesterday. I came in a little low on fat and protein (but I ate enough protein for my liking). I was a little over on carbs, but I consider that a win since it was tough to get them all in. Today is 2300 calories with 20% of that being carbs. I brought scrambled eggs with T-bone steak, stir fry veggies, and shredded cheese for meal #1.

Won’t be able to start until September 30 when I’m done with Best Damn High Volume Workout for Natties. But I’m up for the challenge all the same.

Was planning on running the same program as last year (Beyond 1.1 & 1.2). But may take advantage of the challenge opportunity to do something new …

1 Like

Sounds awesome! You’ll just be a few weeks behind me. And finishing a program before you start is definitely the spirit of the challenge.

Damn man… Lot’s of highs and lows for you. Great job sticking to it through the surgeries and challenges. No excuses on my end; I’m just a jackass sometimes =)

Yeah, I’ll check out the Ryan Fischer’s High Intensity Interval Bodybuilding and see what that’s like.

I pulled up my Triumvirate log and thought about re-starting what I had planned with that (2 cycles of 5-3-1 Triumvirate followed by beach body challenge) but I’m open to ideas.

Hitting the gym tonight which will be the first night of second week - just getting back into things.

I’ve stayed leaner than I normally do when not training but not nearly as solid as I was when I was rolling 5-3-1 Tri.

1 Like

@Frank_C - are you going to do a cycle while doing the HIIB starting in Sept?

Do you have Ryan’s ebooks and is there a specific program you’re going to follow or are you going to do your own programming based on his HIIB principles?

If by cycle, you mean supplements or better, then no. I’m still all natural. I might take some creatine and beta alanine to help with the repeated bouts of all out exercise, but that’s it.

I got my hands on some of his programs. I’m going to start with the 30 Days of DB’s. Ryan has a program on his site called the Daily D and I think it’s a daily workout using DB’s only. He posts a lot of those as samples on his Instagram page so you can kind get some sample workouts.

As for the HIIB Volume 2.0 and HIIB-100 (programs from his site), they use a four day split - upper body, lower push, shoulders, lower pull. The 30 Days of DB’s doesn’t seem to follow that particular split.

Yes I meant AAS…

I hear ya on the all natural and of course your profession.

On the other hand, since I started TRT in April 2017, I’ve thought I might do something more than TRT levels just to see what effect it would have over 12 weeks or so.

I’ve been on and off TRT 3 times since 2017 though given my move from TX to PA then from one city in PA to another and now finally in south Florida.

Finally got hooked up with Defy medical which is based in Tampa and Dr. Saya has a great rep in the TRT forum on here. I’ll start my new protocol next week. My last labs showed total T = 276 ng/dL and Free T at 3.6 pg/mL. Any lower and I’d start developing multiple vaginas.

I’ll go check out the site and check on 30Days of DBs for sure.

Thanks

1 Like

I have to admit that about 90% of the reason I haven’t crossed over to the dark side is just the simple fear of screwing up a perfectly good endocrine system. If I were to need TRT, then I’d probably do what they call blast and cruise. If I’m already doomed to inject my test for the rest of my life then I’d have a little fun with it.

I’m sure you’ve done your research on it, but @jackolee has experience with that. He might be a good resource if you have any remaining questions.

1 Like

Yeah, in my return I’ve started looking at the blast and cruise option given that I’ve hit the TRT path.

Many of my buddies used gear along the way and I think I was in the same place with the ‘fear’ of screwing up my system. At this stage though, I am very curious about the options and wonder what @jackolee might have to say.

1 Like

Off Day Cardio

PRECOR AMT
20 min Interval, L1/L5, 1.8 something miles. The machine said I burned over 230 calories. I entered the workout into my Fitbit after the workout and it said I only burned 126 calories.

DECLINE DB CRUNCH
60 x 12, 10, 8

45* SIDE CRUNCH
BW x 15 ea x 3 sets

SIDE PLANK + ABDUCTION (LEFT SIDE ONLY)
2 x 10 w/ 3 sec hold at top

Pretty bland workout. I kind of just went through the motions. I watched an interview with Matt Fraser while I cruised on the elliptical. It distracted me pretty well.

3 Likes

8.7.19 (Nine Weeks Post-Op)

Woke at 212.0 lbs.

I am sore, sore, sore from Monday’s training. My whole lower half is tender. Haven’t done tray m that to myself in awhile.

Pull session later today and I get to eat carbs all day. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pull Day

I wrote out my training for the day before I got to the gym. I looked at it and thought it’d make a good circuit, so that’s what I did.

2 Warm-Up Rounds, then 30 Minutes of:

DB RDL 80 x 5
DB High Pull 80 x 5
Cable Row 70 x 10
Cable Pull Down 70 x 10
Rev Cable Fly 20 x 10
Cable Curl 30 x 10

Completed nine rounds right at the 30 minute mark. RDL’s and pulls got the heart rate up, rows and pull downs were tough and turned into rest/pause at times, reverse fly’s and curls were too easy. Oh, well. I burned some calories and hit 90 reps on a lot of stuff. Surely it’ll have some sort of positive effect, right?

3 Likes

Good work man. Love impromptu workout ideas like that.

Probably won’t be allowed to do those soon though I guess.

1 Like

I’m spinning my wheels right now. I’m working out because I enjoy it. The goal is always growth in muscle or strength, but I’m a realist. I’m not using one of my arms. Now isn’t the time to really pursue anything other than conditioning and maintenance.

It kind of sucks only using one arm. I feel like my left arm is really taking a beating because all of the stress is put on it. That’s strange because if I was healthy then I’d just double the load so my left arm would still be doing the same amount of work. There’s something odd about lopsided training.

2 Likes

I’m sure Dan John has written extensively about one arm training after crushing his at a meet (and then continuing to break the state record anyway, because he’s batshit). I didn’t pay much attention because I have two arms (I don’t get to brag much, let me have this one), but I’m confident it’s out there.

3 Likes

What the hell did you kidnap?

Good job cranking through even though you’re one-armed.

2 Likes

Hopefully a glute medius muscle.

It took me several hours to understand this statement. :smile:

I won’t have to worry because the program I’m running for the challenge is CrossFit inspired. I’ll be doing different workouts every day.

On a side note - my leg soreness is sucking the life out of me. It hurts to move. Or sit. Or stand. Or lie down.

I promised myself (or more accurately, the missus), I’d never do that to myself again after I fucked my legs up so badly a few years ago. They would just give way underneath me with no warning, I had to stop picking my son up (he was a proper baby at the time).

I’ve deliberately put a few areas of variety into my training because I know I’m going to need them. I’m excited by it now, by Christmas I’m willing to bet I won’t be.

1 Like