Giant Statues

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

insane[/quote]

I just saw two guys in a car…what was that video about???

Dang it. The Athena statue was supposed to be the link that got posted. Athena was a video in a playlist I meant to post…

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:

^^^^^^Now that is one seriously large lump of concrete. This shows the scale compared to the Statue of Liberty.[/quote]

Wow @ that Ushiku Daibutsu statue. Magnificent. Going to Japan in a couple of months. I gotta check this out!

[quote]Edevus wrote:

We better hurry, it may collapse at some point.
[/quote]

Lol

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Lol
[/quote]

I’m not kidding:

Ã?Structural problems

“The statue is currently leaning due to groundwater level changes causing movement of the foundations; the leaning is rapidly getting worse. The statue is not fixed to its foundations and is held in place only by its weight. It has moved by 20 centimetres and is not expected to be able to move much farther without collapsing. While local authorities deny that the statue is in danger, conservation and restoration works started in 2010.”

Oldenburg’s huge Clothespin (in Philly) is kinda cool.

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:

[/quote]

Lol
[/quote]

I’m not kidding:

Ã??Structural problems

“The statue is currently leaning due to groundwater level changes causing movement of the foundations; the leaning is rapidly getting worse. The statue is not fixed to its foundations and is held in place only by its weight. It has moved by 20 centimetres and is not expected to be able to move much farther without collapsing. While local authorities deny that the statue is in danger, conservation and restoration works started in 2010.”[/quote]

Aw :frowning:

Well, we’d better hurry then.

That lady with the sword makes my knees weak.

This is Junipero Serra alongside Highway 280 in San Mateo County. Fucking guy just points at all the speeders driving by.

A statue of Juníper Serra, really?

I’m quite surprised. There’s barely nothing of him in Mallorca (from where we are), funny to see a statue of him in the States.

DN, if your knees are soft, you may want to kneel wink

[quote]Edevus wrote:
A statue of Jun�­per Serra, really?

I’m quite surprised. There’s barely nothing of him in Mallorca (from where we are), funny to see a statue of him in the States.

DN, if your knees are soft, you may want to kneel wink[/quote]

Why is it funny to see a statue of him in the States? He’s most famous for his work as a missionary in California and founded the first of the 21 missionaries along the coast in San Diego. My ancestors traveled with him from San Diego to the modern-day Bay Area, which makes me a 10th generation Californian.

Am I the only one who saw this when he first looked at the Ct’s op?

except for the Caps Lock comic sans…that’s fantastic!!!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Edevus wrote:
A statue of Jun�?�­per Serra, really?

DN, if your knees are soft, you may want to kneel wink[/quote]

Why is it funny to see a statue of him in the States? He’s most famous for his work as a missionary in California and founded the first of the 21 missionaries along the coast in San Diego. My ancestors traveled with him from San Diego to the modern-day Bay Area, which makes me a 10th generation Californian.[/quote]

It’s funny that he has such a cool statue there and nothing similar in Mallorca, just some ugly small statues and a school in a nasty area.

Picture is a comparison of the planned finished product with the actual memorial in the background.

Blurb from Wikipedia:

The Crazy Horse Memorial is a mountain monument complex that is under construction on privately held land in the Black Hills, in Custer County, South Dakota. It represents Crazy Horse, an Oglala Lakota warrior, riding a horse and pointing into the distance. The memorial was commissioned by Lakota elder Henry Standing Bear to be sculpted by Korczak ZióÅ?kowski. It is operated by the Crazy Horse Memorial Foundation, a private non-profit organization.

The memorial consists of the mountain carving (monument), the Indian Museum of North America, and the Native American Cultural Center. The monument is being carved out of Thunderhead Mountain on land considered sacred by some Oglala Lakota, between Custer and Hill City, roughly 17 miles from Mount Rushmore. The sculpture’s final dimensions are planned to be 641 feet (195 m) wide and 563 feet (172 m) high. The head of Crazy Horse will be 87 feet (27 m) high; by comparison, the heads of the four U.S. Presidents at Mount Rushmore are each 60 feet (18 m) high.

The monument has been in progress since 1948 and is still far from completion.[1] If completed, it may become the world’s largest sculpture, as well as the first non-religious statue to hold this record since 1967; the last being Russia’s Mamayev Monument.[2]

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
This is The King of Kings (TD Jesus)that burned down last year. It was located in Monroe, Ohio near Cinnci. The statue was 65 feet tall I think. One of the freakiest things I’ve ever seen and couldnt get near it sober.

Its being rebuilt I think but this time its being made with lightning supression and will be less flammable.
[/quote]

Drove by it every year for Thanksgiving (Atlanta to Ohio) for so long and was shocked when I didn’t get to see the famed Touchdown Jesus statue this year. So sad.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Oldenburg’s huge Clothespin (in Philly) is kinda cool.[/quote]

Thats so lame lol

[quote]Stern wrote:
Am I the only one who saw this when he first looked at the Ct’s op?
[/quote]

hahahahahahahahaha

nice

and then, there is the giant mushroom, In Cambodia somewheres, I think.

[quote]Nards wrote:
except for the Caps Lock comic sans…that’s fantastic!!![/quote]

LOL @ Nards for calling out a font.

this is at the fertility temple in Sri Lanka.

careful, it sometimes acts like old faithful…