T Nation

Giant Burger Stories

When I first started to wrap my head around exactly how massively I needed to eat if I wanted to put on any sort of respectable mass, I probably went a little bit overboard. I’d vacuum up food at a rate unparalleled by any of my peers.

We’d have BBQs and I’d have 3 double burgers and 3 singles. My stomach knew no bounds it seemed, and I put on some good size in that time.

Since then I have become more conservative with bulking. I tend to eat clean 95% of the time, and while I’m still operating a caloric surplus, it is far less drastic.

However, when I go out to restaurants, especially ones that I know to have a good burger. I go for the meanest, tallest, fillingest burger I can get.

Last night, I was at a restaurant that offered a $23 super burger that was made out of 5-6 of their beef patties(which were already pretty large to begin with), covered in garnishing and served on a custom baked 10" bun.

I did not order it, but I tried to take bets as to whether or not I could eat it. 2 people in my group thought I could and 2 people thought I couldn’t.

I think I could. But I have never really gone balls out and eaten such a large burger all at once. In the next month I’m going to try and get a solid bet on the table and go back to the restaurant and take on the burger.

This is more of a novelty discussion, since the nutritional benefits of eating such a large meal are probably mostly negative.

But, who has some fantastic burger eating stories?

Back home we’ve got something called the Cowboy Challenge. This bad boy contains 2 solid pounds of all-beef patties, a block of Cheddar cheese, 2 scrambled eggs, a few strips of bacon, a whole lot of mayo and three buns served on a mound of french fries. You get a free T-shirt if you manage to finish it off.

It’s XXL, and I’m still growing into it.

At the last bbq i went to, I polished off 6 all-beef burgers with buns, a couple sides of salad, doritos and 4 slices of chocolate cake washed down with whisky and 4 beers.

Awhile back while in college our cafeteria had foot long hot dogs smothered in chili an onions. This was while I was on a dirty bulk an hadn’t had time to pack my lunch that morning, so I ate 6 foot longs.(+16oz coke) The lunch ladies thought it was hilarious an included it in the college newspaper an had a pic of me w/ them standing over 6 hotdogs lined side to side.

Shit, the hot dog story reminds me of one of my good friends. During a night of heavy drinking my friend kept saying how hungry he was and with each passing drink the amount of dogs he claimed he was going to order later on increased.

By the time we got around to walking home past the burger van, we’d goaded the poor sucker into ordering an octuple dog. Yes, that’s right that fucker had 8 large sausages in one bun. The crowd he drew was fairly monumental as was their reaction upon him finishing his monolithic meat log. It ended up costing him 12 pounds, but he still contends, to this day, that it was worth it.

Fuddruckers has a 1 pound burger which I had once with bacon and cheese and some fries once. I was not used to eating huge portions of this type of food nor am I now or have I ever been. After I ate that meal my body pretty much shut down all other functions and focused all its energy on the gob of goo in my stomach and intestines.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Fuddruckers has a 1 pound burger which I had once with bacon and cheese and some fries once. I was not used to eating huge portions of this type of food nor am I now or have I ever been. After I ate that meal my body pretty much shut down all other functions and focused all its energy on the gob of goo in my stomach and intestines. [/quote]

This is the bonus question of this thread. As I said, I’m still fairly conservative with my bulking. I eat a lot and have been making gains. I don’t typically gorge myself, save for these occasional burgers or a really large steak or whatever.

What exactly are the effects, from a bulk/weight gaining perspective, of eating an enormous meal?

I can imagine that a lot of it will goto waste? maybe? I really don’t know.

Basically, the extra calories turn into fatty tissue along with the muscle. This is good during a bulk because a little fatty tissue will mean more strength. More strength means more muscle fibres recruited during training due to more load.

This in turn will create more muscle to supercompensate for the increased load. This is why strongmen and powerlifter and other strength athletes may carry a little bit extra fat, for example.

Home-grilled burgers are the best. Get a BIG whole wheat bun. Then take a pound or so of ground beef. Throw all the BBQ sauce, marinades, seasonings, and lawn gnomes you want in a big bowl, then mix the meat in for a minute or so when its all mixed in.

Grill that fucker until its rare, slap it on that bun, and choke that fucker down. Incredible.

I used to work in a restaurant. One time I had the double burger (which is a lb of beef) with an extra patty added in. It ended up being 1.5 lbs of beef w/ 2 slices of bacon and 2 of cheese.

When I finished that, my boss couldn’t finish his dinner so I added a full rack of ribs (2 lbs) to my dinner.

I was FULL. Shift’s end could not come fast enough.

[quote]industrialplaid wrote:
Back home we’ve got something called the Cowboy Challenge. This bad boy contains 2 solid pounds of all-beef patties, a block of Cheddar cheese, 2 scrambled eggs, a few strips of bacon, a whole lot of mayo and three buns served on a mound of french fries. You get a free T-shirt if you manage to finish it off.

It’s XXL, and I’m still growing into it.[/quote]

That sounds fantastic, I think I’m going to try to make something similar very soon.

So about a month later I’ve finally got the bet in place to take down this burger. Anyone have any tips for handling such a large amount of food in one sitting?

So nothing ever came of this bet. My friends kept saying they’d do it, but we never found the time to get down there and do it.

Yesterday afternoon however, a friend came into town and he suggested we goto that restaurant.

We ordered the burger and I ate half of it before feeling like I could eat no more. I also had a bunch of fries which was probably a bad idea.

He managed to finish about 1/3rd of the burger, and we were left with a little wedge of burger that was bigger than most regular burgers.

So, I didn’t even come close to finishing the thing on my own, although, I do believe at one point I may have been capable of it. Oh yeah, we had the burger covered in bacon as well.

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

Click it. It’s worth it.

There’s a little spot here in DC called “Steak and Egg Kitchen.” They have a burger called “The Brasilian.” It’s amazing. It contains two half-pound patties, bacon, ham, eggs, cheese and maybe chili but I forgot. I’ve eaten it once and I swear I had chest pains afterward. Sooooo good though.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
There’s a little spot here in DC called “Steak and Egg Kitchen.” They have a burger called “The Brasilian.” It’s amazing. It contains two half-pound patties, bacon, ham, eggs, cheese and maybe chili but I forgot. I’ve eaten it once and I swear I had chest pains afterward. Sooooo good though.[/quote]

I have no great burger story to share but that place is the nastiest lookin “restaurant” I have ever seen. Aren’t the only customers there either doped up or drunk as hell? I go to school right around there. But, that sounds like hell of a burger!

There’s a local joint in Richmond that serves a one pound hamburger with 2 grilled cheese sammiches for buns. It’s pretty good too.

I had a bangin burger at a strip club in South Jersey Friday night.

Really caught me by surprise.

[quote]IronDude17 wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
There’s a little spot here in DC called “Steak and Egg Kitchen.” They have a burger called “The Brasilian.” It’s amazing. It contains two half-pound patties, bacon, ham, eggs, cheese and maybe chili but I forgot. I’ve eaten it once and I swear I had chest pains afterward. Sooooo good though.

I have no great burger story to share but that place is the nastiest lookin “restaurant” I have ever seen. Aren’t the only customers there either doped up or drunk as hell? I go to school right around there. But, that sounds like hell of a burger![/quote]

Oh dude, that place is ALL-AMERICAN! The only criticism I have of the place is that the don’t have malts. The food there rocks though, I definitly reccomend it.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
IronDude17 wrote:
beebuddy wrote:

I have no great burger story to share but that place is the nastiest lookin “restaurant” I have ever seen. Aren’t the only customers there either doped up or drunk as hell? I go to school right around there. But, that sounds like hell of a burger!

Oh dude, that place is ALL-AMERICAN! The only criticism I have of the place is that the don’t have malts. The food there rocks though, I definitly reccomend it.[/quote]

I heard Steak and Egg got shut down because someone got shot there. Place was grimy but was open 24 hours. The usual crowd consisted of DC drug dealers and shitfaced students. The food was decent for a dinky little diner