T Nation

GHR's - Who's Good at These?

I just started doing glute ham raises again and man do i suck at these. I can get like 5 clean ones before I have to start pushing off the handles. And i mean the full ROM as in the sorinex vid:

is there anybody around that does more than 10 of these things in a row? It feels like my ass/hams/calves are going to come off my pelvis/legs.

Shit is beastly. I gotta work up to a set of 20. I think i might shit myself at 15.

-chris

I can do around 6 with a mini band wrapped around my neck.

There was a guy at my gym who tweaked his back pretty bad and couldn't compress his spine for 8 weeks. So he focused on GHR's. He was able to do them with the blue band wrapped around his neck. He was a fucking animal. haha

Thus furthering the case for neural adaptation versus actual strength gain.... Always something I wondered abotu exercises like these tbh.

When I was doing them weekly, I could crank out 20 reps at a time with a green band around my neck. Tried them for the first time in months the other day and got 3 (rough) sets of 10 with a purple.

Definitely buying one when I put my home gym together. Invaluable piece of equipment, IMO.

I have never had access to a GHR so I don't know what my level of suck would be. Quite high I imagine.

By coincidence, after squats I did a few sets of "natural" GHRs for the first time. Damn. I can only get 6-8 and I am only going to about 30 degrees relative to the ground. Then I need to use my arms to keep me from doing a face plant.

Ya ive never had access to a GHR and suck big time at natural GHRs. I'd like to get to where I can do at least 5 natural ones full ROM but its really tough to progress towards, especially after gaining weight. Its also pretty humbling seeing videos of chicks on youtube doing them.

My gym doesn't have one, so I am forced to do Natural GHRs. I have to say though, if you do a ton of volume/frequency for them, you'll get better wicked fast. This is just something I personally experienced because I just happened to be training that way at the time, and I started out being able to do 5 normal ones, to being able to do 15 with a 25lb plate behind my head (not sure how that converts into bands sorry). This was at a different gym though. If you wanna get better at GHR, do more GHR

Yeah, great exercise. Can get about 15-20 with a 45. I like squeezing at the top of the movement. After a good set it can be difficult to walk.

You just have to consistantly do them week after week, I went from barely doing one to pumping out sets of 12-15 with a blue band. If you squeeze at the top of every rep, fucking brutal.

I can do about 15 with good form. With a light band I can do 10 to 12.

How good of an assistance exercise is this for back squats? How many sets would you guys recommend?

It's good. It works the hams/glutes very hard, which people tend to lack strength in or "feeling" these muscles. 3-5 sets of 10-15 should do it.

I've done 5 sets of 20 with just bodyweight. You get good at them really quickly.

superb exercise
i can do sets of 12-15

heavist ive done. set of 5 with a average band wrapped around my neck. blew my shit up.

I've only used a real GHR machine at Cressey's place and was able to get a few sets of 10 out with body weight.

Now at my gym I tuck my calves under the lat pulldown machine and stop on a 28" box. It's a lot harder but still gets the job done.

Which would be me. But I still don't seem to feel GHRs in my glutes.

I would say really focus on squeezing your ass cheeks at the top of the movement and try focusing on initiating the movement from the bottom with your buns.

However, my question might completely negate any advice I gave.

What is the benefit to doing these like shown in the video as opposed to stopping when you are parallel with the ground? I feel like the way in the video would allow you to "cheat" by using your back more by swinging. I have progressed to sets of 10 with a 25lb plate cradled on my chest doing it the way I mention.

I am curious as to which way is better as it is my typical go-to-move after deadlifting on 5/3/1.

You need to force your hips forward, like you're finishing a deadlift, as opposed to flexing at the spine. Doing this will make your glutes contract hard, taking some of the stress off of the hamstrings.

OK, thanks for the advice.