GHR - Spawn of Satan

LOL

I’m not dl’ing at the moment but 2xBW wouldn’t be unreasonable for me based on my squat. There’s just no way I can do natural GHRs unassisted though.

One thing I have noticed, any bend at the hips makes the exercise considerably easier. You have to watch that, your body tends to want to do it without you noticing.

this thread makes me miss the old gym i went to that had a GHR. I loved that thing, used to be able to do 12 - 15 strict reps with bw

Ive come up with some other ways to do GHR’s:

1. If you have a power rack at your gym then use the pins on the side to put your feet under and anchor yourself, but this way you need room on one side of the rack

2. If you dont have enough room on the side of the rack load a BB with a fair amount of weight, put the BB on the pins and move the pins as far down as possible. The BB has to come to the front of the rack against the pillar. This way you’ve got plenty of room as you’re out the front of the rack

3. Same as number 3 pretty much but if you cant get the pins down far enough then put the BB on the ground on the inside of the rack against the pillar and either leave the BB on the ground or put some plates under it to raise it off the ground a little.

[quote]cookie_sq wrote:
When I look around youtube it seems a lot of stuff is called GHR even though it is really hamstring raises.

GHR:

Hamstring raises:

Am I wrong?[/quote]

No you’re not wrong according to exrx.net, but personally I think they’ve got it wrong. Their BB GHR is just a reverse hyper and a GHR together in one exercise. I’ve looked at some of the hamstring and glute articles on tnation and found that most call it the Glute-Ham-Raise but it differs to whether they add the reverse hyper part.

Without reverse hyper:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_lost_art_of_hamstring_training&cr=

With reverse hyper:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/get_your_butt_in_gear_ii

You’ll have to scroll down a little to find them.

Gotta squeeze them glutes and pull them hips through!!

They ARE a pain; but they are a GOOD pain.

so to answer your question, they dont’ suck, you suck, get better at them.

:wink:

It’s been a couple of weeks since I started doing these and I definitely suck much less now :slight_smile:

Will squeeze them glutes like ya told me.

My shoulders and arms are completely knackered at the moment so leg days are essentially front squats and GHRs - it’s almost the perfect leg workout in two exercises.