GHR & Back Extension

For those with fucked up backs/hips and can’t deadlift, about 3 exercises take the place of deadlifts: back extensions, glute ham raise and chin ups (well, the chin ups are for the back, not the posterior chain).

My question is: do back extensions and glute ham raises actually have the potential to hypertrophy the glutes and hamstrings?

Or are they both those sort of exercises that, even if you get better at them, have no bearing on your physique?

are you seirously asking whether a glute ham raise notice the name will cause hypertrophy to your glutes and hamstrings of course it will, i built very strong glutes and hamstrings from them that also made them much larger, along with 45 degree hyperextenions, the key is doing them higher reps, and not doing the bulllshit you see on elitefts where they do 10 that they coudve done for 30 reps, add some resistance, or bands and go to town just like any other lift, but if your back rounds especially uppper back then you wont be getting any glutes the back has to be in to be hit properly with these exercises.

NOW YOU KNOW

[quote]alternate wrote:
My question is: do back extensions and glute ham raises actually have the potential to hypertrophy the glutes and hamstrings?
[/quote]

Absolutely. I attribute most of my hamstring development in the past year to weighted GHR.

High-rep hip thrusters are another excellent exercise - check out Bret Contreras’ articles on this site about them. Keep the weight low to moderate and focus on tempo, as well as full contraction at the top.

No access to GHR raise, so I do it on a lat-pulldown type machine at the gym. The way that it hits my hamstring muscles, knee tendons, and gastroc is unparalleled. Bigger, stronger, and injury resilient. But I get very little glute benefit from this “natural” version of GHR. It’s more hamstring/gastroc.

Single leg RDL’s can promote hypertrophy and balance in the hips…thats also worth a shot.

Just yesterday after doing an extended set of 20 reps back extensions with 2 25 plates on my chest, plus 20 reps with 1 plate left, plus 20 reps body weight, i tough i was alone in that room bending to take up a plate to put it back i let out a noise from the glute feeling and i just walked by a girl who appeared while i focussed on my exercises and i said i am sorry and she smiled.

Growth likely, feeling surely. About GHR they are new to me but i would guess so. At the gym i go to i was suggested to do them on a bench about 45 degrees where some work their back deltoids. I have seen a video about the lat pulldown way but it might be to advanced for me presently.