Ghetto Gym

[quote]Magnate wrote:

The smith is indeed a piece of shit. All I use it for is calves most of the time. EDIT: No that is not MY working calf weight, just wanted to make that clear The whole thing is pretty cheap, but it works fine and was inexpensive so I can’t complain. I really want one of those small adjustable half racks that elitefs sells.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8010pr.html

Pretty cheap half-rack, great for low ceiling areas

[/quote]

I was actually thinking about getting one of these ones…

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html

Does anyone have them? Anyone like them? I have somewhat low ceilings (82"), but the one posted by Magnate looks too low for squats?

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
One excuse I always come up with when deciding to get a home gym is “I don’t have enough room”. [/quote]

Here, as promised, is my bedroom/ gym.

A close up of the rack.

My chalk, talc and liniment station, plus miscellaneous equipment.

My home built squat box. I use the largest piece as a 3 board for Bench pressing. As well as a platform for deficit deads.

I also use the smaller box portions to spot me during Floor Presses.

Yep, it’s time.

Well played Jarvis. Well played.

I had to login to one of my Linux boxes at home, snag the path to the images, upload them there and then re-download them to my work machine to defeat the firewall at my job, but i did mange to see em.

A better rack and some bands are things I haven’t had the nerve to mentioned to my wife yet =] I wonder what percentage of guys here do workout at home?

[quote]Modi wrote:
<<< I was actually thinking about getting one of these ones…

Does anyone have them? Anyone like them? I have somewhat low ceilings (82"), but the one posted by Magnate looks too low for squats?[/quote]

The bigger one looks really nice. I was thinking of using that mini with my existing rack for just the bottom of the movement, but that is still a ways off.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
One excuse I always come up with when deciding to get a home gym is “I don’t have enough room”. After seeing your gym, my excuse is no longer valid. I guess it’s time to throw the lawn mower outside, move my toolbox, and order my rack.[/quote]

I’ll tell ya, I moved that shit around so many times before settling on that arrangement. You really CAN fit a lot of stuff in a relatively small space if you think it through.

One of the biggest issues is being able to foresee which way is going to make actual use most efficient with the least amount of mid training adjustments. It really blows to be all geeked in the middle of a workout and having it take too long to change your equipment for the next set or exercise.

I don’t know how many times that happened where I was standing there sweating, huffin and puffin and thought if I put this there and that here this would go a lot smoother. I guess it’s tough to fully predict until you actually confront the situation.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Modi wrote:
<<< I was actually thinking about getting one of these ones…

Does anyone have them? Anyone like them? I have somewhat low ceilings (82"), but the one posted by Magnate looks too low for squats?

The bigger one looks really nice. I was thinking of using that mini with my existing rack for just the bottom of the movement, but that is still a ways off.
[/quote]

I was just back on their site and found this one:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

They have free shipping on it, whereas the other ones run $100-150 for shipping, and they all cost about the same $249-299.

If I got that one I would have to build a platform around the rack, rather than placing the rack on a platform because the rack is 82.5" tall and I think that is exactly how much space I have down there. I could always knock out a section of the ceiling to poke my head through for pullups.

Who’s ghetto now?

[quote]Modi wrote:
I was just back on their site and found this one:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

They have free shipping on it, whereas the other ones run $100-150 for shipping, and they all cost about the same $249-299.

If I got that one I would have to build a platform around the rack, rather than placing the rack on a platform because the rack is 82.5" tall and I think that is exactly how much space I have down there. I could always knock out a section of the ceiling to poke my head through for pullups.

Who’s ghetto now?[/quote]

The free shipping would do it for me. Making the platform work would take a bit more weekend engineering, but shouldn’t be a major problem.

I had to hack a piece out of one of my beams to fit that thing down there and I had to cut the chinning piece off the top of the dipping/trunk curl station.

[quote]Modi wrote:
Magnate wrote:

The smith is indeed a piece of shit. All I use it for is calves most of the time. EDIT: No that is not MY working calf weight, just wanted to make that clear The whole thing is pretty cheap, but it works fine and was inexpensive so I can’t complain. I really want one of those small adjustable half racks that elitefs sells.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8010pr.html

Pretty cheap half-rack, great for low ceiling areas

I was actually thinking about getting one of these ones…

Does anyone have them? Anyone like them? I have somewhat low ceilings (82"), but the one posted by Magnate looks too low for squats?[/quote]

a friend of mine has the second rack, the sumo rack, definately go with that one if it is an option, the mini portable one is just a good cheap alternative if you have a low ceiling or lack of room :slight_smile:

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
I had to login to one of my Linux boxes at home, snag the path to the images, upload them there and then re-download them to my work machine to defeat the firewall at my job, but i did mange to see em.

A better rack and some bands are things I haven’t had the nerve to mentioned to my wife yet =] I wonder what percentage of guys here do workout at home?[/quote]

my local gym and school gym both kind of force me to work out at home, neither has a single power rack, space to deadlift, or cable machines at all. My school’s gym is all machines except for 1 hyper extension bench, a dip/knee raise stand and an olympic bench (the gym has a grandtotal of 2 Bars, both olympic, and dumbbells that dont exceed 50lbs.). I much prefer my basement with 1 adjustable bench, 1 5’ standard bar (150lb of plates) 1 7’ Oly bar with 300 lb of plates, 2 adjustable standard dumbbell handles (standard), pullup bar, and portable half-rack :smiley:

[quote]Magnate wrote:
<<< my local gym and school gym both kind of force me to work out at home, neither has a single power rack, space to deadlift, or cable machines at all. My school’s gym is all machines except for 1 hyper extension bench, a dip/knee raise stand and an olympic bench (the gym has a grandtotal of 2 Bars, both olympic, and dumbbells that dont exceed 50lbs.). I much prefer my basement with 1 adjustable bench, 1 5’ standard bar (150lb of plates) 1 7’ Oly bar with 300 lb of plates, 2 adjustable standard dumbbell handles (standard), pullup bar, and portable half-rack :smiley:
[/quote]

Maybe it’s a bit infantile on my part, but there’s just something “secure” about training at home for me. I don’t have to think about anything except what I’m doing and anything goes.

And yet, for all the crappiness of the setup here at home and in Brazil, I made a helluva lot more gains in less time than when I was going to a “real” gym.

Granted, I’d kill for a decent power rack, and it’s goddamn near a form of GPP moving all the shit back and forth just so I can bench, but it seems like I get more done in less time. Kinda makes me appreciate training more than it would otherwise.

Sometimes I wish I was back at that gym in Brazil. Granted, the machines sucked, but you never lacked for a spot if you needed one, people were really friendly, enough 20 kilo plates to choke a goat and a few huge motherfuckers to inspire. One of them had won a few contests back in the day.

The best thing is that it was 10 reais, which translates to the shattering sum of three or four bucks a week.

(Plus there were a couple hot chicks who never did anything but get down on all fours and do stuff for their glutes, which made downtime between sets pleasant.)

Sometimes I do wish I went to a ‘proper’ gym, but when you figure in the cost of membership, having to wait around to get your sets in, squat rack curlers, anti-grunting alarms etc. I think I made the better choice.

Nothing beats the convenience of having a power rack in my bedroom. I doubt I’d do all my recovery sessions with bands if it wasn’t for the fact that I can just walk across my room and get the training done whenever.

Where are the pictures of everyone else’s home gyms? I’m sure there’s more of us out there who train at home.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Magnate wrote:
<<< my local gym and school gym both kind of force me to work out at home, neither has a single power rack, space to deadlift, or cable machines at all. My school’s gym is all machines except for 1 hyper extension bench, a dip/knee raise stand and an olympic bench (the gym has a grandtotal of 2 Bars, both olympic, and dumbbells that dont exceed 50lbs.). I much prefer my basement with 1 adjustable bench, 1 5’ standard bar (150lb of plates) 1 7’ Oly bar with 300 lb of plates, 2 adjustable standard dumbbell handles (standard), pullup bar, and portable half-rack :smiley:

Maybe it’s a bit infantile on my part, but there’s just something “secure” about training at home for me. I don’t have to think about anything except what I’m doing and anything goes. [/quote]

Gotta agree, the solitude is nice, screw being tempted into ego lifting because others are around, plus not having to hear any boy bands through the sound system is a plus :slight_smile:

With the price of gas nowadays the shit practically pays for itself just by keeping ya from drivin.

Jesup gym equipment has the same squat rack for 275 shipped. 245 if you pick it up in iowa.

search for it online